Study Abroad Program

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Car54, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Car54

Car54 New Member

I'm wondering if anyone here has had kids go overseas on a study abroad program. Looking for hints, tips, advice anything you'd care to share.

My daughter is going to Florence, Italy in May and returning in August. Tuition and room will be 7k, food is extra (kitchens in each room), flight right now is $1,300, they will have two guided tours included in the 7k with some extra time to do short tours on their own.

I've checked each airline until I'm blue in the face and they all are within a couple hundred dollars of each other. The flight I'm looking at is the shortest of the bunch and will get her to Florence about the time they will be issuing rooms. A friend from school will be her travel and room mate so at least she'll know someone.

So, any tips or advice?

2. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

YES, @ this point in time, think about cancelling!

3. Car54

Car54 New Member

Too much money would be lost to cancel now. She is in her senior year, with double majors in Italian and French languages, 18 credit hours will be earned so she'll only have 5 more to fulfill the requirements for her majors when she returns.

4. Ubergopher

Ubergopher New Member

Watch "Taken" together as a family. :p
    Really though, make sure she knows to keep her passport safe and know where the nearest US military bases, embassy, and consulate are just in case. Aside from that, tell her to have fun and do good, it's a crazy good chance to experience some culture beyond America. Also if she doesn't have one now, get her a decent digital camera and a good SD card.

Oh and I'm assuming the flight is round trip.

5. fireguy

fireguy New Member

As a father, I have to say that is good advice with what is going on in the world. As a member of the "I should have done....." club, I have to say give her the opportunity if you can afford it.
    My sister studied in Spain, Puerto Rico, and Mexico while working on her Spanish major, she also was majoring in Mass Communications. It was a great experience for her. This was in the late 70's, so the world has made some extreme changes. Good luck.

6. Car54

Car54 New Member

Good tip re: embassy and US contacts, I hadn't thought about that.

Yes, round trip flight, one stop each way. I also think that experiencing the culture will coincide with her studies. I am somewhat concerned with the mideast problems maybe flowing over into Europe also.

I bought her a Pentax k-x with two high speed cards. We went to a hockey game last week and she took 345 pictures and burst speeds were about 5-7 frames per second. She's happy with it.

7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Car54. do you have a passport in case you have to fly out there in an emergency? That would be imperative to me.

8. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

GODSPEED brother, and may she be safe in her travels!