Strange Serial Number

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by redscho, Mar 8, 2013.

1. redscho

redscho New Member

I was looking at this 70± year old Colt firearm at a gun show recently. It had a strange serial number, like it was double struck or something. Comments?:confused:

Attached Files:

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I think something looks suspicious there.

3. Baxter

Baxter New Member

Don't think colt would send it out the factory like that, I wouldn't touch it. It's just too off. With that said, if it has been tampered with, I still can't see what the original would be. Maybe that's the point

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  4. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool New Member

Not only askew, the type appears to be in different sizes.

5. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

That looks like someone tried to make a 3 into an 8, and quite poorly done at that

6. redscho

redscho New Member

More clues

Looking at the Colt serial number search. All civilian 1911s had a C prefix in the 6 digit serial number from 1912 thru 1950. And from 1950 to 1970 there was a C suffix in the serial number This one was not a military issue but there is no C evident in the serial number anywhere. Was there a space between the C an the 6 digits? It does not appear that any of the strike overs was over a C to obliterate it. Note that there are 7 digits in this wierd serial number. Any more ideas?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  7. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I'm sorry but that looks like one of thew worst serial change jobs I've ever seen. I'd not wan to be near that thing.

8. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc New Member

I once had a firearm that I bought directly from the manufacturer. It had a second "A" stamped ahead of the serial number and the owner of the company explained to me that the initial run of receivers had the first 500 serial numbers duplicated. So, they had to take half of them and restrike the recivers to add an additional "A".

If that was a wartime frame made by one of the many contract manufacturers it is possible that there was a serial number overlap, that was then restruck, but that is kind of assuming a lot.

9. redscho

redscho New Member

The frame bears the Colt logo. There must be some Colt experts on this forum that can shed some light on this.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  10. JonM

JonM Moderator

there are a lot of colt fakes out there where people try to take a common reciever like a ithaca and try to fake a colt serial to mate upp with a colt upper to sell for more money.

its obviously a pre-68 so serial number isnt technically required depending on your state. but it does have an altered serial number and thats against fed rules regardless of date.

if your interested in buying it for a cheap price, less than 450$, contact colt and see what they say about it.

personally i wouldnt touch it.

11. chuckusaret

chuckusaret New Member

I would not touch it. I would contact colt but I doubt that Colt would ever release a gun like that. Colt provided the complete history on two of my antique Army Colts but for a very hefty charge.

12. TankTop

TankTop New Member

I am talking out my butt as I have no clue, but if it were old enough, could it be documented with an FFL as a collectors item? Of course you would probably need some sort of history on the firearm as well.

13. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

It looks like that 4 used to be a 1.

14. tCan

tCan New Member

4? What 4?

15. redscho

redscho New Member

Colt logo faked?

Here is the Colt logo, does it look faked?

Attached Files:

16. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

In the time before 1968 the serial numbers had no legal meaning at all. The serial numbers(if even used) had meaning only to the manufacturer(and military if it was a military gun). The manufacturer or anyone else could do anything they wanted to the serial number on a gun. The restamping on this gun is fairly poorly done(unlikely done by any manufacturer). Could have been done by a gunsmith or owner for some unknown reason or (in later years) by someone trying to "hide" a stolen gun. Now that it has been obviously restamped it could land the person possessing this gun into possible legal trouble.

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

Even during war production colt didnt screw up stampings. Some makers like ithaca hand stamped serials so there is slight variation from gun to gun. Colt did and does all their stampings by machine using jigs so each one is the same place and same type never double stamps on logos.

I would say forgery and a very bad one at that. Likely it was a parts gun that someone tried to make into a colt

18. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member

The "0" at the end could have been a "C" at one time. That would get you charged in Texas with "Possession of Altered ID Numbers". Class A Misdemeanor, a year in the County Gray Bar Hilton.

19. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc New Member

Also understand that if this was not a commercial Colt, but a military 1911, there were many manufacturers of parts. Military 1911s that made it to retirement had possibly been rebuilt several times and could have frames from one manufacturer, and slides from another. Serial numbers could be struck over at armory level, to go along with their storage, and rack system.

The Marine Corps 1911's I had seen, often were collections of parts. Springfield slides on Colt frames were one example.

Here's a well loved example. Note that this was from a Marine armory, it has a frame that is stamped for US Army, has electro-pencil on the frame, a Springfield Armory slide, Colt commander hammer, King's beavertail grip safety and ambi safety, Pachmeyer grips, Aluminum trigger, Millet sights. Good things can come together in the hands of some military armorers.

[​IMG]