STG 44-I'm planning to buy one and need a review

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by MCalig, Mar 28, 2014.

1. MCalig

MCalig New Member

Hello all!
    I'm planning to buy a STG 44 but I don't know it well.Some people say that it is a great rifle, some other say that buying it equals to wasting money.

I would like to hear an review from someone who owns it or, at least, knows it better than the average guy(I mean...I would like to hear/read the opinion of an expert or has shot it a lot).

Thanks in advance!

2. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

Are you talking about the true German STG44 Sturmgewehr? Or one of the modern .22lr copies? I've heard the modern .22s are good quality and a blast to shoot. Getting your hands on a true STG44 would be difficult, then you have to get your ATF tax stamp, and 8mm Kurz is hard to find.

3. MCalig

MCalig New Member

Well I was talking about the original one...

4. samnev

samnev New Member

They are great weapons. There are 2 problems. 1st unless you hand load ammunition is hard to find and when you do find some expensive. Parts are hard to find and VERY expensive. I have an all matching 90% MP 44 that I will not shoot for fear of a broken part and a matching MP 44 becomes mismatch depending on what part is broken. They are much nicer to shoot than an AK 47.

5. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

Must be nice to have near 20k to drop on an original stg44 if that's what you're talking about. I'm not even sure about the price but I could swear (without googling) that a functioning stg44 would be worth easily over 15k. And yeah, like the other guys said, you'll need a tax stamp for a full auto. Honestly though, if you do find/buy one, please post pics so I can drool over it.

6. 303tom

303tom New Member

All I can say is Good Luck !.............I want to see some pictures of it if you find one............

7. MCalig

MCalig New Member

I was already warned (the price).I was thinking about buying a yugo captured one(many people don't know that the rifle was still used by yugo paratroopers till the end of the '80)-I hope to save some money.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  8. msup752

msup752 New Member

I checked online for one for sale in the US. I was unable to find any. I believe the prices are creeping closer to $40k for a transferable example.
    The third world still has and uses stg's. Some were made after the war and others were captured. Germany built a half million during the war.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

9. samnev

samnev New Member

STG/MP 44 Prices

For an all matching 80%-90% STG/MP 44 non dewat all matching the prices run from 18K to 20K. Most of the ones I see for sale do not fit the above criteria and sell for 16K-17K.
    My 90% all matching, non dewat Mp 44

Attached Files:

10. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh New Member

Are we talking Demilled?? I've never heard the term dewat.

11. FernandoTheCommando

That sir is awesome. Beautiful gun and it's oozing history. It would look great next to my nagant if you ever feel like making a charitable donation. ill love it like a family member I promise. haha.

12. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member

Deactivated War Trophy. Kind of like DeMil. Some were refurbished and registered in the 1968 amnesty period

13. FernandoTheCommando

Hey Samnev, is the barrel as thin as it looks in the pic? Looks like it would heat up really fast in full auto.

14. samnev

samnev New Member

Mp 44

Thanks for the kind words. My wife has first dibs on it should I decide I have lost m interest in it. As for the barrel it's about the same thickness as an AK 47. I haven't fired it very much for the reasons I explained in my initial post but when I did I didn't do any magazine dumps. Just 3-5 round burts and didn't notice any greater heating up the my M14. I got it about 10 years ago with the six extra mags.
    To satiate my desire to shoot the MP 44 I bought the 22lr caliber version of it that recently came out the ATI STG 44 in the wooden crate. It's a dead ringer for the real one with the same weight. Pretty nice little plinker.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  15. FernandoTheCommando

Very cool. If I could find .22 ammo I'd think about snatching up one of the mp44 copies.

16. MCalig

MCalig New Member

I think you're right...:( I'll try to contact some friends and see if I can get one for a lower price...

17. FernandoTheCommando

Just out of curiosity, did you have any idea what these guns were worth or what they cost? What is the rest of your collection like? Do you own many original mil-surp rifles? If so, we love to see pics and oogle.

18. MCalig

MCalig New Member

I don't have nothing special...but I didn't know that the price is so damn high.A friend of mine owns a mp44 but he got it almost for a steal(he bought it from the slovenian arsenal maybe 10+ years ago...when the slo government wanted to get rid of obsolescent weapons)

19. FernandoTheCommando

Lucky guy for getting a good deal. Wish I could find something like that for a good price. Good luck with your search.

20. snyder77

snyder77 New Member

I believe PTR build a repro of the origianl stg44 in 8mmK