Something Different

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by mjkeat, Mar 15, 2012.

1. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

With so many good reviews on the VZ58 I decided to get one. The VZ58 wasn't in my budget so the VZ2008 (CIA's build) got the nod. If the VZ2008 holds up I'll get the higher quality VZ58.

It is a well balanced rifle (more-so than the AK), easy to strip, and the mag release is easier to manipulate.

There isn't a huge accessory market but the parts that are available seem to be very functional. There's a few headed my way and more planned so we'll see.

Here's some pictures. I'll get a range report w/i the next couple days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. orangello

orangello New Member

SWEET! I will be following this closely.

Have you purchased additional magazines?

3. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Irons, rapid fire. Not as fast as the ARs but then again it doesn't have a brake or red dot. We'll see what we can do about that next month.

[​IMG]

4. smoooth308

smoooth308 New Member

Nice looking rifle and groups man. Can't wait to see what you do to it

5. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

Nice lookin rifle keat and cool thread. What distance on the rapid fire?

6. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Its 30ft (max defensive distance) standing from the low ready 2-3 rounds at a time. It helps increase sight alignment speed, muzzle control, and safety manipulation. It also lets you know real quick if your grip and stance are off. More or less a muscle memory drill.

7. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Shipment from Canada came in.

[​IMG]

8. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

Sexy. I see a trip to the range in your future ;)

9. orangello

orangello New Member

Fiberboard hater; now what will you do if you are caught up a creek without a paddle? That stock buttstock is canoe-ready. ;)

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

keep us updated im very interested in a vz58 i dont like ak47s but i do like cz stuff and ive always wanted one

11. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Thanks guys.

I had it out Sat. morning and it shot great. My cheek bone is sore today for some reason:). I'm headed back to the range Tues. morning.

The barkalite looks cool but the new furniture feels better.

12. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

The furniture in the pic you posted looks way better than the wood furniture in the first pics you posted. But thats just my opinion.

13. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I like that wood composite stock. It has an interesting look to it.

14. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Put another 200 through it this morning w/o issue. I'm slowly getting faster on target and w/ follow-up shots. It deffinately needs a better comp than the slant break.

It get's a lot of puzzled looks when people ask what kinda AK it is and I say it's not an AK.

15. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Very nice, MJ, and I like the upgraded furniture! Cool to have something a little different than the masses, yet still have access to cheap ammo.

I wonder how it'd handle with an AK-74 style brake?

16. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I just ordered a CNC Warrior brake from Cechpoint-USA. I did a search on brakes and it received decent reviews. Someone stated he experienced slight downward movement. I have heard this mentioned about the BC and it works well for me. Hopfully it'll take some of the harshness out of this thing. Being a pound lighter than the AK47 but using the same round makes a difference in recoil. I guess we'll see.

17. OldManMontgomery

OldManMontgomery New Member

I can see your cheek being sore. Those folding stocks have a certain 'cool' to them, but they stink as butt stocks for aimed fire.

Try making sure the stock is well into your shoulder and watch how the stock rotates up and whacks your face. Full wooden stocks have less tendency to do that. Not that wooden stocks can't beat one's face.

Does this thing run a modified overhead gas piston based on the Simonov - Kalashnikov design? You say it's not an AK, but it looks to derive from that rifle.

18. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I thought about getting one w/ a folding stock but went w/ a fixed stock then a week later added the AR style collapsible receiver extension and Magpul STR stock which has one of the best cheek welds of any stock on any firearm I have ever used. It's like a big fat pillow compared to the narrow fixed stock you'll find on any AK or AR.

I usually use a thumb-over grip but being as the irons are so close to bore my thumb interferes w/ my line of sight. I still am able to apply quite a bit of rearward pressure but it isn't as easy to keep the muzzle flat like on my ARs. Then again they all have brakes and 12-13" rails. Plus I don't have near the time behind this Czech rifle like I do an AR. At only 6.5 pounds I'll learn to like it :).

The bolt more or less rides on top of the receiver. It is a completely different design for sure. Short stroke piston, completely different bolt, etc.

19. orangello

orangello New Member

Isn't it pretty similar to the SKS action?

20. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I'll take some pics as soon as I get home.