Sighting in my AR

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by dreweburns, Jan 2, 2014.

1. dreweburns

dreweburns New Member

I'm having trouble sighting in my ar... I have a barsak scope(yes I know cheap) and I shot it today and got pretty close to a 100yrd zero was only 2 inches to the right .. Then all the sudden my shots all are 5-8 inches high... Any ideas on why??

2. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

check your scope mounts.. the screws may have came lose, check your hold on the rifle. perhaps you changed the way you were holding it slightly..

check your scope.. its known as a piece of crap for a reason....

3. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

did you change your cheek weld? The proper way to shoot an Ar you have your cheek resting on the stock and your nose just touching the charging handle if you change your position even minutely you will not be able to accurately zero.

4. dreweburns

dreweburns New Member

Everything on the gun (screws and etc) are fine... And should my hold and check place ment make that big of a difference... I know it doesn't on my 30-06

5. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

yeah on an Ar it does. In the Army we were trained to never change your cheek weld or else you would miss your target

6. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

with an AR you should hold it differently than a bolt or lever gun, and cheek weld is very important. at 100yds it more than enough to move a shot a few inches...

7. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Just take the scope back for a refund or toss it. I know of a Simmons scope that is made by meade labs. It holds zero, it is completely fog proof, you can set the dials to zero. It only costs $60 until midway runs out. Walmart has the same scope priced at $120. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/51...r-rifle-scope-3-9x-40mm-truplex-reticle-matte

Edit: Midway has increased the price to $81. Walmart has the same scope now for $75. But in the Walmart product description it does not say the scope is waterproof or fogproof. Walmart does not write product descriptions. If it was the same scope as midway the product description would say it's waterproof and fogproof. Simmons wouldn't leave out the most desirable features of the scope unless they are not there.

I have noticed that many items at walmart don't have the same accessories as other places. I bought a knife from midway. Both midway and walmart had the exact same price on the knife. But at walmart you got a nylon sheath that is as durable as a sock. At midway the knife included a nice sturdy leather sheath. You have to pay attention to details when dealing with wally world. If I had bought the knife at walmart I would be out another $15 plus shipping to get a custom sheath made.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  8. JonM

JonM Moderator

Most common mistake in attaching an optic to a picatinny rail is putting the mount on and pushing it to the rear. When mounting optics the mount needs to be pushed forward then tightened or locked in place.

Doing this incorrectly causes poi shift randomly as your experiencing.

9. dreweburns

dreweburns New Member

I've decided that I think it's most likely the scope ima replace it and see how that works

10. Bevo

Bevo New Member