Should i buy a mossberg 500 or 590?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by hq357, May 13, 2013.

1. hq357

hq357 New Member

I am looking for a Shotgun that can be used for multiple purposes, i like to go clay shooting and do some occasional hunting like birds, varmints, and maybe do some deer and hog hunting i would also want it to be able to be used as a home defense / security shotgun it has to be reliable enough to be able to be passed to my kids one day. So i was at my local big 5 the other day and there was a mossberg 500 field/security combo for only 400$ it came with1 28" barrel and an 18" right next to it was a mossber 590 for a little more it was all metal had a bayonet lug and it held 9 rounds and it looked alot more bad ass and seems like its better made the only thing i didn't like is that it only came with a 20" barrel so its main purpose is for home defense its a little more $$ but i wouldn't regret buying it. So should i buy the mossberg 500 as my all purpose shotgun home defense and hunting? Or should i pay a little more and buy a mossberg 590 as my home defense shotgun that way if i ever want to go hunting i have an excuse to buy another gun! ;) can you go hunting with a 20" barrel?

2. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

590 has better materials and made for heavier combat use. Metal? Maybe you mean Mariner. The coating makes it salt water proof. Mine has been in downpours and survived the hunt. 9 shot is the way to go.

Attached Files:

3. orangello

orangello New Member

I have an old 500 that came with a 28" barrel, but it usually wears the 18.5" barrel I bought for it. It is my go-to for home defense.

I am thinking that the 590 does not offer the variety of barrels offered by the 500.

4. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Hi, Orangello. Quite a few Mossberg threads today. Oh, and the old vs. Remington too. Shoot any bears lately?

5. JerryOnly

JerryOnly New Member

6. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I own 2 Mossberg 500s. (One is technically a New Haven 600 AT, but it is made by Mossberg). They are great guns. Reliable, well made, and have a large amount of aftermarket parts that you can get for them.

If you get one, you won't be sorry.

7. orangello

orangello New Member

Alas no; in Mississippi, bears are protected from hunting to protect backwoods, unshaven types from accidental poaching. ;) Of course, a buddy of mine rented a dandy little excavator last week.

8. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I spent about two years in Mississippi. I bought a number of guns while there. I was visiting my biological father who was stationed at Columbus AFB. The first thing a later to be friend of mine said to me was...Hey, you talk like a Yankee.

9. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

The 500 is a multi-purpose gun. This...

Attached Files:

10. hq357

hq357 New Member

Yes that is the one im getting i want to add the 590s thicker barrel and 9 shot magazine that way i have 3 diffrent barrel for less than 500$

11. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Hmmm...
    Think you're gonna want two guns if that is your plan. And you mean 590A1 -- the 590 is no heavier than the standard 500 barrel but none of the above are interchangeable, at least not without the magazine tube being swapped.

12. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

Just go with the mossberg 500 field/security and call it a day. 6 shots of 00B should take care of any confrontation you're likely to stumble upon.

13. E7018Dan

E7018Dan New Member

And if your worried about having a couple extra rounds they make magazine tube extensions. 590a1 is nice but 500 will do the job with equal effectiveness.

14. hq357

hq357 New Member

But i REALLY like the bayonet lug if i can have a custom mossberg 500 i would want the 590s (thicker barrel and bayonet )so it can be can be used as the ultimate emergency survival tool i don't really care much for the 9 shot magazine tube because id like to be able to interchange mossberg 500 barrels so standard capacity is fine is there a way to do this without getting a custom mossberg 500?

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  15. hq357

hq357 New Member

If you ask why i want a bayonet for emergency /. Survival just look at this! :D

image-701333026.jpg

Found this pic on google

16. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

I have a Mossberg 590A1, and have been very, very satisfied with it since. Love it!

Attached Files:

17. hq357

hq357 New Member

Very nice do you ever go clay shooting with it?

18. E7018Dan

E7018Dan New Member

I'm not sure but I'm pretty sure the threads from the 9 shot to 5 shot tubrs are different so it wouldnt be a simple swap. Plus I don't think they make the a heavy duty barrel to fit the 5 shot tube. You might think about asking a gunsmith about a custom barrel and maybe you can see about cutting down the 9 shot tube if the threads are different. Or go the easy route and just don't load the full 9 if ur worried about weight.

19. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

No.

Get a 500 set. Or get a 590 SP (a 500 with the lug and long mag -- my favorite Mossberg though mine has a PolyChoke). Or get a 590 A1 -- the heavy duty military 590 SP. There is also an 18-1/2" 590 A1 which I prefer. Or get 'em all!!!!

20. hq357

hq357 New Member

But if i get the 590 i wont be able to go clay shooting or duck hunting :(