Shopping and researching scopes for my AR

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by ccase39, Feb 8, 2014.

1. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

I read some of the other threads on the subject and got some good info but didn't find many links and had a few specific questions. I already have a Vortex Strykfire red dot but I am now looking for something with crosshairs. Would be cool to have one with lighted reticle and regular ones in case battery goes dead. I think I am looking for 1-4x as I won't shoot much over 300yds probably not much more than 200. I don't want to spend any more than $250 but cheaper would be optimal. I found this hunting around and wanted to know what you guys think. Also if you could suggest more that would be great. I do not want a red dot in the center of crosshairs as it tends to cover the target and I already have the Vortex
    http://www.amazon.com/Barska-1-4x28...TF8&qid=1391838298&sr=8-7&keywords=ar15+scope

I read a couple of mixed reviews here about Barsaka but wanted more input or if there is anything better for the money.

I also really like the reticle in this one and the price seems good
    http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Zone-223-Reticle-Riflescope-Turrets/dp/B00ABP5UXG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_8

This one looks good to me too but I am ignorant to the difference

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Bushnell174-AR-Optics-30mm-Riflescopes/1580700.uts

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  2. Triumphman

Triumphman New Member

I own the Bushnell AR223 Model you show from Cabelas. It has very good clear Glass-edge to edge. Has BDC Reticle, Fast focus Eye piece. Honestly haven't got to try it out on my AR yet with any shots. Weather is miserable here in the Midwest right now. So far everything about it I like, other than not getting to shoot with it yet.

Also, I'm Field Testing a New Scope Company's Scope out for them, so my AR223 Scope has been put on back burner for the moment.

Both Scopes are of "SAME" Scope. Just different spins on the marketing.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014

3. hardluk1

hardluk1 New Member

Weaver has two 1.5-6x32 scopes with 30mm bodies . One has a more normal AR type reticle and the other is the zombie branded model that has a just as good but different reticle, both can be lighted in low light. I picked one at my lgs for 165 bucks and am very pleased with it. Amazon and other sites have both for 170 to 190 . Retail price is just under 300 bucks. Lockable turrets with .25" per click with ranging marks out to a distance that's well beyond what I can do.

4. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

What is the model of the weaver?

5. hardluk1

hardluk1 New Member

It is Part #849843 With the Z-cirt recticle pictured below and a unwanted but ok extra green logo I wet sanded with oiled 1000grit to a hardly there look OR there other 1.5-6 with a different reticle is #849813 with a TB-X reticle. Both can be bought around the same price.
    Hope these inlarge for you. There only 2x2 for me.

Setting is at 1.5 threw a dirty window-
    [​IMG]

scope on rifle-
    [​IMG]

6. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

That's cool. Do you have a link? Would I have to file? I like the reticle

7. Squawk

Squawk New Member

Just remember you get what you pay for. I would suggest the buy once, cry once philosophy. Look at the Leupold Mark AR. Never purchased a scope over $200 before this. I can see why it has a $400 price tag. Clarity is amazing. Green Firedot SPR reticle is very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

8. hardluk1

hardluk1 New Member

ccase39 FILE !! I barely get around on a computer as is. HA

This is the best I can do for ya.
    http://www.weaver-mounts.com/optics/riflescopes/kaspa_scopes/kaspa_tactical/

I just run a search weaver kaspa 1.5-6x32 for sale and find price run from 179 to 219 right quick . My general store has them cheaper but probably had mine for a few months as the price was the lowest I have found. The dot in the center of the lens is a 1moa dot and does not increase in size as you roll the power up as in a first focal plane recticle will do.

Done for the night.

9. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

Lol Tell me about it dude! Lol I'm not good at finding some of these recommendations. I wind up googleing it and get something totally difrrent. Thanks for taking the time to help!

10. hardluk1

hardluk1 New Member

I don't do reviews well and all I can say is I have shot some of the affordable priced AR scopes from leupold , mueller, nicon and vortex ar type scopes over the last couple years and this is a good scope and compare's well to me. Other well say its junk or not being a true one power it won't co-witness to sights. I don't care. I also most bought a 2.5-10 to put on it.

So heres a couple more links, if it don't help , oh well.
    http://www.weaveroptics.com/optics/riflescopes/kaspa/
    http://www.shootingillustrated.com/index.php/25470/ar-optics-on-a-budget/
    http://tacticalgunreview.com/blog/2...ptics-weaver-kaspa-1-5-6x32-scope/#more-18893

http://www.amazon.com/Weaver-849843-Tactical-Zombie-Scope/dp/B0094PP9CQ
    http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/weaver-kaspa-1-5-6-x-32-riflescope/pid-591259?N=6841400+4294950999

I sometimes sit out and scan a niebghbors fields for deer right at dark. I'll spot them with some good binos and then check my scopes to see how how well they work in the dark. I watch a group of 11 deer last night about 120 yards off and I can tell you at 8:15 last night shooting those deer would have been easy at a power setting of 4x. Could not tell if any had horns but the deer was sharp enough to place a bullet. Horns should be off now anyhow. That 30mm tube helps out there.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  11. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

I found this. My gf dad has one and it looked good. I like the fact it has unlighted as well as lighted reticle a.
    How does this compare to the others?

12. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member

ccase,

When it comes to optics you do get what you pay for and a good scope will last a lifetime!
    I would suggest you look into the Nikon scopes if you want top quality for the least cost for the quality. They have great glass! Which is important and no parallax! Which the less expensive scopes sometimes have too much! And Nikon seems to always have some on sale somewhere at their dealers. Also do not forget you are probably going to need a forward offset scope mount to get the proper eye relief with a scope. And not just the picatinny rail on your flat top. You can see some on various websites like the Rock River website. Others make them also! People forget about this fact when they first consider putting a scope on their rifles. Here is one of mine with a RRA Scout Rail on it. I like them better than the standard forward offset scope mount because it gives me total adjustment and I can use normal scope rings.

Attached Files:

13. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

That looks awesome! I had not considered the addition of a scope mount until after I started this. I would want something where I would be able to use my backup iron sights as well. My Vortex cowitnesses perfectly with my Mbus and I am going to get another set of those for my new upper, which this new scope will go on.

14. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

Wow! Thanks for all the great info! I'm also looking at a Primary Arms. I will make a decision soon.
    I am kind of Leary about buying gimmicky products that look like they try to market their product through popular designs. Are all these zombie labels more gimmick or do they still perform well. I own a French restaurant and we have green beans but if we call them by their French name which is Haricot verts I can sell them for two dollars more.

15. hardluk1

hardluk1 New Member

16. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

I got it bro. I saw both. I was just wondering about the zombie stuff in general because you see it on all kinds of products.

17. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

Ok I have decided.
    Thanks to everyone who took the time to help me out and answer so many questions. Special thanks to hardluk1 for hooking me up with some links I couldn't find! I have decided to go with the Primary Arms 1-4x. Since this is my first real experience with a scope and what its overall intended use will be as well the features I may want when I finally do bite the bullet and buy an expensive one this scope kind of made since.
    It is inexpensive and does have good reviews based on the price. I figure it is a good inexpensive way to learn more before I jump into a bigger purchase and at the very least I will learn what I DONT want out of scope and a point of reference as to what is bad and what is good. It will also allow me to learn the differences between a good scope and a less expensive one. I figure it will be an inexpensive learning tool. Maybe I can pass it down or loan it to someone who has the same questions as I did one day. Thanks to everyone! I have learned a ton of stuff here.