S&W1911 e series bobtail commander or DW VBOB?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by broke-again124, Jun 7, 2013.

1. broke-again124

broke-again124 New Member

Guys I'm in the market for a new carry piece as my 21st century commander is beginning to show some wear and I would like to keep the gun looking new. So I've decide on a bobtailed commander and narrowed it down to these. I don't know much about the Smith e series as far as quality and reliability. I know DW valor guns have a stellar reputation. So I'm asking is the s&w worth the $1300 price tag? Or do I just wait on a vbob to pop up? Thanks.

2. Olympus

Olympus New Member

The S&W is a good gun, but it's nowhere near being in the same league as the DW. One thing I hate about the S&W guns is the "lawyer talk" they print on the gun. DW had a classier, clean look. Not to mention your getting a gun with tool steel internals and no MIM parts. Fit and finish on the Valor will blow the S&W away.

Right now, there is a stainless DW CBOB in 10mm on GB. If you like 10mm, that's another good option. Better than the S&W in my opinion as well.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013

3. broke-again124

broke-again124 New Member

I would want the black I believe.

4. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Severns Custom offers a Hard Hat Treatment which is basically the same thing as the Duty Treatment from DW. You can have it treated with IonBond which is also pretty much the same thing.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired

If you can afford it, DW.
    If you can afford better, Ed Brown Kobra carry.

6. Sanchin

Sanchin New Member

Dan Wesson ,hands down, no contest.

7. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 New Member

I'm a big DW fan. I carry a CCO, I also have a PM7 as well. Great products with great CS to boot.
    I would also point out that the Guardian (LW frame) is a fairer comparison to the S&W. But yeah, the VBOB would be excellent.

I will admit that the S&W round butt models seem pretty nice. The few S&W 1911s I've messed were good guns. My primary issue with S&W is with some of the styling choices they make.

8. Thebiker

Thebiker New Member

I have handled (not shot) the S&W and shot the DW.

No brainer for me, it would be the Dan Wesson. Great, strong build, pleasing to both eye & hand. JMHO

9. Gunsnob

Gunsnob New Member

DW will kick any production 1911s butt. Period dot end!