S&W M&P .45 questions

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by M14sRock, Mar 6, 2011.

1. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Has anyone removed the magazine safety/disconnect from their M&P?

I shot Jo Da Plumbr's M&P .45 again yesterday and really like it. But I need one without the thumb safety, and will also need to neuter the magazine safety.

Thanks, in advance.

2. Shihan

Shihan Lifetime Supporting Member

I have an M&P45 without the thumb safety, don't know about the Mag Disconnect. Would like to know myself. What exactly will it do to the function without the Disconnect?

3. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

I looked at it closely, and its on the same pin as the take down sear. It might be as simple as removing the rear roll pin, carefully taking that assembly out and removing the mag safety sear and spring. Also checked really close how it functions, and it looks like it won't impede anything when removed.

Who wants to go first?? :D

4. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Typically removing the mag disconnect makes the trigger smoother, and it allows the gun to fire without a magazine seated.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

This guy is not the sharpest tool in the shed but I think you get the idea. Just use a real hammer when you do your gun. :eek:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzTz5v4VsQU]YouTube - M&P Magazine Disconnect Removal M&P45 Mag[/ame]

This guy isn't much better!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MjTi0aJcc4[/ame]

While looking I came across this well written and illustrated M&P DIY trigger job;

M&P DIY trigger job

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  6. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Perfect! Exactly what I thought needed to happen. Did not thing about having to add a spring though. What a simple source of springs, too. And a broom as a hammer - this guy is crafty. I like that.

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Did you check out the trigger job?

8. WDB

WDB New Member

Mine doen't have a mag safety and I expect you can still order them with out. I wonder if some states require them or would take issue if removed?

9. Shihan

How can you tell if it has mag safety?

10. WDB

WDB New Member

The easy way, unload the pistol/remove the mag, clear the action then release the slide. With the firearm pointed in a safe direction pull the trigger, if you hear the striker fire no mag safety, if no striker fire you have a mag safety.

If you shoot a hole in the floor you didn't follow the instructions completly and no mag safety.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  11. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Yes California requires a mag disconnect to be legally sold in CA. If it was removed later I can't see how anyone would find out to "take issue". Of course I can't see ever needing to fire a round with no mag in the MP so I have no problem with that feature.

M14 I'm surprised the thumb safety bothers you. Being in the same location as my 1911s it is a comfort to me having all my pistols operate the same.

12. Shihan

Well, No mag Safety. No hole in the floor either. :D

13. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

When they are not needed, I don't like them. The M&P, being striker fired like a Glock, does not need one.

14. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

I shoot USPSA with that guy:)
    Dan Burwell does some great work with the m&p's:cool:

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

RTFM, or read the pistol. If it's the model with no mag lock, it will say "caution capable of firing with magazine removed" on the slide.

Attached Files:

16. WDB

WDB New Member

If removed, the only time it would be an issue is if you used your firearm to defend yourself and some libitard used that against you in court. Stating the firearm had been modified and not leagal in your state.

I agree the mag disconnect shouldn't be an issue as most of the time firing your pistol you will have a mag in place. I think the school of though against them is it is one more mechanical thing that could malfunction. I know some police departments like them because if the officer has to struggle with a bad guy for his duty pistol if they can hit the mag release the pistol will not fire.

17. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Agreed, it can be just as important to take a gun out of a fight in unusual situations.

18. WDB

WDB New Member

Made me look and it is there. I guess that is an easier way to tell:eek: I haven't read the fine print on my pistol for awhile, thanks Cane.

19. WDB

WDB New Member

Can the thumb safety be added? That is a feature that will be on my next M&P if I can't add it to the one I have.