S&W J frame - ka-boom

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by windsor3189, Aug 4, 2012.

1. windsor3189

windsor3189 New Member

Went to the range today and fired off 3 rounds of PMC .357 and on the 4th it seemed normal but trying to get the front sight on target for the 5th shot, I realized there was no longer a front sight. The gun had exploded and sent the barrel and fragments down range. What the...?:(

Here's a pic..

Attached Files:

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

DAYUM MAN! Are you OK? Only time I have seen THAT was a squib load- 2nd round lodged in barrel, 3rd round blows it up. Would save everything INCLUDING ammo and box, brass, etc- and have a Come to Jesus moment with the ammo maker!

3. ryguy00

ryguy00 New Member

I will assume since you were able to type this that you are ok. Any idea what caused it aside from the obvious "bad ammo"? Have you contacted PMC?

4. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Holy s***. Lucky you dint blow your face off.

5. bigrock44

bigrock44 New Member

That's would have scared me, and I would have had to change my pants after noticing what happened.

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc New Member

Second PMC kaboom I've read about today. The other was with 9mm ammo in a G19 which has a supported chamber.

Hmmmmm...

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired

That's a S&W? I would send pictures to them with a request for another.

They may ask to have some ammo. But contact both manufacturers.

8. tacticalfun

tacticalfun New Member

Yikes. Hope your hands are ok

9. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Thank God you are okay. Contact both gun and ammo manufacturer!

10. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Holy Hell!!! Sure hope you are not hurt :eek: As others have said, retain everything!!! Contact both the firearm and ammo manufacturer and let them know what happened.

Please keep us updated and good luck :)

11. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

DAMN!! I just bought a J frame Airweight today, only in .38 Special. I hope this was just a fluke thing (I'm betting it is). Glad you're still here to type this.

12. Badshot320

Badshot320 New Member

Thats really odd, ive seen cylinders explode or the barrel due to an obstruction. That appears that only the frame itself flew apart. Glad you and anyone that may have been close by is fine.

Badshot

13. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Just being curious.. case like this what will both manufacturers do about it? They will send a replacement gun? Or Free lifetime ammo? ;)

14. KalashnikovJosh

KalashnikovJosh New Member

I'm glad you weren't hurt.

I had a squib that lodged half way in the barrel once with a CZ82 firing Wolf 100gr FMJ.
    I could tell it was a squib because the recoil sounded and felt way different then the perhaps 100 rounds or so I'd already put downrange.

I stopped shooting,cleared the weapon and while doing so noticed a bunch of unburned powder in the breech area.

The casing had ejected and the slide locked back fully.

The only indication I had of trouble was the sound and feel of the shot.

After making safe,I checked the breech physically and then popped the slide and looked down the barrel.

Did you notice any sort of "difference" in the recoil and sound in the shot preceding the one that caused the catastrophic failure?

15. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

I hate when that happens!

16. windsor3189

windsor3189 New Member

Everything felt normal as each round went off. And I am pleasantly surprised I still have all 10 fingers. In fact I didn't get a scratch.

Both S&W and PMC will get pics and details.

Thanks for the replies.

17. jhughe11

jhughe11 New Member

I know this is off topic but what is a squib load? I'd look it up online but I figured I'd get a more adequate answer here ...

Glad no one was hurt!!

18. KalashnikovJosh

I'm guessing its easier to tell with a semiauto when something like this happens then with a revolver?

With my squib,the action was locked open in the middle of a magazine.

I was wrong in saying that the sound and feel was the "only" indication,I meant it was my first indication.:eek:

this was a few years ago so bear with me........

Having the slide lock open on a mag that still had ammo in it was also a good sign that something wasn't right.;)

So I'm thinking you might have had a squib and might not have known it cause you were shooting a revolver,but then I'm just guessing.

It might not have been a squib at all.

Well,anyway,I'm only trying to roll it around a bit for the edification and education of the forum,and as thankfully you weren't harmed and you will hopefully be receiving remuneration and/or replacement for your loss,then I feel comfortable in declaring that we can all actually gain something from this experience if we find out what actually happened......

If something is going on with PMC ammo then it needs to be found out and dealt with before someone does get hurt.

Honestly I doubt it was a problem with the gun.

But was this gun new and was this the first time you've fired it?

I am noticing that your cylinder is black as heck,much blacker then a few rounds of ammo should make it.I'm assuming by the color of the rest of the parts of your gun that yours was stainless or nickel?
    If that cylinder was stainless/nickel,then that black is from firing the round that kaboomed your gun, judging by how my revolvers look when I fire them even after a few boxes,that one round may have had way too much powder in it.
    I've never seen that much soot on any revolver I've ever owned of the same color even after a couple hundred rounds.

The damage seems to be along the top strap and not the barrel....is there anything still in the barrel perhaps?does it look bulged at all?Or does it look good?

I have no clue as to how much of an overcharge it would take to do that,I'm guessing quite a bit,but it might be possible that the ammunition was in fact overcharged.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  19. KalashnikovJosh

20. windsor3189

windsor3189 New Member

The cylinder color is the original color for that model, 340SC, bought 10-12 yrs ago.

I was wondering if metal fatigue, along the top strap.