Ruger Vaquero vs Blackhawk - strength

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Brigadeir, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Brigadeir

Brigadeir New Member

Hi group.
    I have a Blackhawk which I shoot with some high power (near, but not above max limit) loads in .357mag. I don't shoot it in my S&Ws (too hot, they have locked them up). I'd like to get a Vaquero.

My question is, has anyone experience with the Vaquero and heavy mag loads?
    Is it as strongly built as the Blackhawk?

Thanks,
    Brig

2. Wambli

Wambli New Member

No problem with the old style Vaquero. The new ones are NOT as strong as the BH.

3. stalkingbear

stalkingbear New Member

Wambli hit the nail on the head. The newer Vaqueros are made lighter than the older 1s. I wouldn't shoot the same max loads in the newer Vaqueros that you do in your Blackhawks.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member

I had two of the old model Vaquero's, one in .44 mag and a convertible .45 Colt/.45 ACP. They could handle any load whatsoever. They were basically OM Blackhawk's with different sights and a slightly altered top strap.

I wouldn't take a chance on the newer models. If you want to shoot full house loads, go with the Blackhawk.

My personal favorites are still the OM Blackhawk's and Vaquero's. They'll both shoot pretty much anything you put in them.

5. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Can't speak for the Vaquero, but my NM Blackhawk takes hot loads like nothing.

6. Virginian

Virginian New Member

I don't see a problem with 357s, but stick to milder stuff in the New Vaqueros in 45.