Ruger Stainless MK III

Discussion in 'Ruger Handgun Forum' started by lampman, Dec 29, 2013.

1. lampman

lampman New Member

I want to get a 22/45 and wonder if Ruger Stainless is as tough as the blued steel for wear and peening of bolt breech area etc.
    I remember Ruger seemed to have the softer stainless and blue steel is a lot tougher? What ya think?

2. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I've got a scoped MK II. Most accurate 22LR I have. Live in Florida,

where you can sit in your living room with everything turned off,

and listen to your guns rust. The SS finish is spotless. Bought this

pistol used. Couldn't be happier with it. This pistol is so much fun

it always goes to the range.

3. Polygon

Polygon New Member

I never had problems with my MkIII stainless finish.

4. lampman

lampman New Member

5. Jesse80

Jesse80 New Member

I have the blued version.... And wish I'd gotten the SS. Another wish was that I got it with a threaded barrel. They are very quiet with a can on them. If you live in a state that allows them.

6. lampman

lampman New Member

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1388543009.695575.jpg
    Thank y'all just ordered it! An awesome 22/45 stainless that is fit from Volquartsen with a hammer, sear plus a bunch more for $400 on gunbroker. $170 worth of custom goodies and a match 2 pound trigger. I was gonna pay $350 for the same gun and no extras! Can't freakin wait !!! Happy New Year !

7. Morgo

Morgo New Member

I have a Ruger 22/45 MKII, it was my first handgun. Over a decade later and easily 40 000rds its still going strong, no broken parts and every bit as accurate if not more than day 1.

8. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Only in the context of metal hardness. I've had 2 blued and 1 stainless (Mark II, bought used). No difference. I also have an alloy barrelled action by Tactical Solutions, still plenty hard for the job.

9. lampman

lampman New Member

10. lampman

lampman New Member

I got it! A 22/45 target from Volquartsen on Gunbroker. This is a stainless one that he did his magic on for function and match trigger assembly. We'll I'll tell ya!! Wow a silky smooth trigger is waiting my first range test.... Not for a bit yet. This has $170 worth of his awesome parts in it installed by them on new gun....$400 yes it was a deal. I'm probably altering the frame to accept interchangeable ruger grips... Not 1911 ones, they don't fit right.... I'm a retired smith and machinist so this will be cake to machine it and tap and epoxy the bushings in for a perfect fit. There is a lot aftermarket grips for this already. I'm getting the Houge rubber finger groove one ....$20
    Happy happy happy

11. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Now, curb your enthusiasm. This model is a known P...

Just kidding. I too have a vq. Terrific. Here is to the new baby!

12. lampman

lampman New Member

Scare me lol thanks

13. Jesse80

Jesse80 New Member

Your going to love it! They are great guns....... Only problem is disassembly and reassembly. Look on YouTube for visual explanation.... That's what I always have to do...

14. Mercator

Mercator New Member

If the magazine disconnector is removed, courtesy of VQ, the reassembly is simplified compared to factory Ruger. Nice catch!

15. hardluk1

hardluk1 New Member

Finish?? I have both with no care in any small difference in metallurgy. Our ruger MKIII are blue , Mie with a 2lb trigger kit , wifes with fire sights. That's it. I grew up in south flrida and loved to hunt in the rain and never put any stock and trade in guns rusting. I mo-ron can let a SS firearm rust with lack of mantainence. I heat treat all my firearms with a synthetic oil and with normal cleaning and lubeing they become more rust resistant with time. Guess I am old enough I prefer blue and the wear that shows with use but ain't gona turn down a deal in SS and that's what my current CC pistols are more cause they don't offered them in blue !

16. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Great catch on VQ modified Ruger MK III. The mag disconnect and the loaded chamber indicator are the two mods most people do to improve reliability.

17. lampman

lampman New Member

The Hogue rubber finger groove grips came in ! Nice! Found the bonding agent to lock in the grip screw bushings after I mill the frame and tap the hole for the bushings! Ps also bought an UltraDot ..... Ready to rock n roll real soon!
    Thanks for the feedback on these awesome guns...ps I have 3 LCR's too now. A 38 for me and wife and a 22 lr to pound as practice...loving Ruger

18. Mercator

Mercator New Member

An Ultradot sits on mine. Right on.

If I may: Be sure you don't get the screws bonded in. Hogue grips are great water traps, need to be lifted periodically.

19. indy36

indy36 New Member

Here's mine. Love shooting it.
    ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1389920498.260128.jpg

20. lampman

lampman New Member

Indy nice!! Mer... Tor I will not get screws bonded just bushings. Thanks guys