RRA Dominator mount

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by xRacerX75x, Jun 2, 2012.

1. xRacerX75x

xRacerX75x New Member

If I use the RRA Dominator II mount on my flat top rifle do I use the standard height flip-up front sight? Or does that mount set the rear sight up high enough that you would have to use a taller front sight?

2. X-mark

X-mark New Member

according to RRA's description, it looks like it gives absolute cowitness...puts the red dot just above the front sight post. you can keep the standard front sight and use the rear sight that comes with the Dominator II.

3. xRacerX75x

xRacerX75x New Member

Well I don't have a front sight yet, so I could use for example a standard YHM flip-up front sight?

4. X-mark

X-mark New Member

If you plan to mount it to your handguard, then yes. If it is going on a railed gas block, then probably not.

5. Nch22000

Nch22000 New Member

I ordered the dominator rear sight on my AR from RRA and the front sight looks like their flip sight gas block combo, it works great. My only complaint is that I wish the sight post itself was thinner as it can cover the target. I know I can replace the post but I have not yet.

Attached Files:

6. Nch22000

Nch22000 New Member

Also was just looking through the RRA catalog and they have flip up front sights that specify for rail or gas block mounting. I think if you get the right mounting option you should be ok with the dominator rear sight.

7. X-mark

X-mark New Member

This!

Nch22000 nailed it! make sure you buy the sight that matches your mounting location and your height will be correct for the front sight.

8. EW1066

EW1066 New Member

Forgive my ignorance, but doesn't attaching a sling to the gas block defeat the purpose of free floating the barrel?

EDUB

9. Nch22000

Nch22000 New Member

I don't use the sling when shooting like I should. So it does not effect it but you are right. I don't understand why they did that. I plan on getting a rail mount sling swivel and removing the sling mounts from the gas block.

10. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member

It is a perfect application for any normal height front sight unit.
    The neat thing about the Dominator II is the fact that for example if you put an EOTech on it this is how it works!
    Sight in the Iron Sights
    Install the Dominator II on the Flat Top
    While looking at the Iron Sights through the EOTech Screen with unit ON
    Dial the Red Dot on reticle so it sets exactly on top of the front sight post and perfectly centered.
    At that point you may only have to make a couple of slight adjustments to finalize the EOTech's Zero.
    Than comes the good part!:D
    At this point, you no longer have to look through the screen using the iron sights or even having them interfere with your view. You just look over the top of the front sight and rear sight about 1/4 inch at the Reticle on the EOTech ONLY!
    Should you have a failure with the EOTech you just simply drop your head down looking through the Glass at the Iron Sights and you are automatically Co-Witnessed.
    This eliminates two things if not using the Dominator and having Iron Flip Ups on the rifle. That is in this case should the Optic fail using Iron Flip Up Rear Sights. Normally one would have to flip up the rear sight. The problem being in a critical situation fine motor skills do not work well. But even more important than that is the critical time in a possible gun fight that it would take for the operator to flip up the rear sight at the same time dealing with adrenalin and the fine motor skill problems! With the Dominator you only need lower your head 1/4 inch to Co-Witness if the Optics fails. We found another thing that assists with the 1/4 inch head drop. It was that in a critical situation like your optics failing is the fact that any time we are threatened or something goes wrong in a critical situation we automatically drop our head. It is an involuntary action when threatened. Point being we found when you have an O.S. situation happen like your EOTech or optics fail and you need sights readily the head goes down. Just a little information on the Dominator II Rail and Sight System.
    However using a Pro-Point on it could be a problem since the Pro-Points have a spacer in the mount that might make them a little too high for good Co-Witness using the Dominator II.

11. xRacerX75x

xRacerX75x New Member

Ok a novice question I know but what is the difference when shooting with a traditional front sight that's "wings" flare out and with many of the ones I see which create a circle around the front sight post. ( I am aware that my terminology may be way off lol, but I'm learning)

12. Gloves

Gloves New Member

I think it's just style.
    I think those "wings" / "circles" are there just to protect the front post when you drop or bang your rifle up against something.

13. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

There are circular and diamond shaped front sight guards that index with the rear peep sight allowing you to center the front sight a bit more easily. They take a little getting used, but I personally think they are more effective.

Examples include Diamondhead sights and H&K style sights.