Rock Island vs Mossberg

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by ArrizX, Jan 3, 2013.

1. ArrizX

ArrizX New Member

So I am going to get another truck gun/woods gun.

I am looking at the Rock Island Amory M5 Packerized and the Mossberg 88 Maverick.

I have a Mossberg 500 in 20ga pistol grip next to my bed. Love it. Finish is good, slide is smooth... its a good gun.

This time I am going with a 12ga. I want to buy the Maverick because its 8+1 and looks great. Same nice glossy finish I like on it too.

However from what I read the RIA is a copy of a High Standard police shotgun is is "from what I read" one of the best pump shotgun setups ever designed. I need to buy online so I cant do a test feel. I am leaning towards this gun even though. I dont think I will like the finish on it very much but it might be nice since its going to be a truck gun. Another down side is that it doesnt hold as many shells and no way to do a tube extension.

Thoughts between the two?

2. ArrizX

ArrizX New Member

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Here is why I am leaning towards the RIA

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=243664

3. ArrizX

ArrizX New Member

I found one for 225 plus shipping.

4. ArrizX

ArrizX New Member

5. ArrizX

ArrizX New Member

I would go for something like a benelli nova like I have been wanting forever but I am just selling a .22 to buy a cheap 12 ga. Ill get a nice one later. Im not working enough now to put away cash for a gun so I need to recycle a gun.

6. mongo43

mongo43 New Member

I just picked up a RIA M5 12ga wed. morning. Durning the intial break down and clean up it only took about 10 min to rip out the guts clean andre-assemble. I will give you all a range report next week.

7. ArrizX

ArrizX New Member

8. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Hey, just as long as it's from The Phillipines and has a 4+1 (is it?) capacity w/a 20" barrel!

9. mongo43

mongo43 New Member

Mine says it was made in P.I. seems like a decent shotgun so far. Just wish I could swap bbl's like mossberg's and remington's do. I may buy a 7 round mag tube and spring when numrich gets them back in stock.

10. ArrizX

ArrizX New Member

I bought the nickel plated version. Now I just gotta wait.

11. ArrizX

ArrizX New Member

I just got mine tonight. What a fantastic shotgun. Its not real high end but thats to be expected with some (very small) finish issues. Slide feels like its rolling on ball bearings its so smooth. Overall very happy with it. It looks fantastic though, and feels good. Cant wait to shoot it.

Did I mention the finish issues are extremely trivial? Hardly worth mentioning.

12. StainlessSteel215

StainlessSteel215 New Member

So what did you end up paying? Post pics?

Looking into my first 12g shotgun for HD and this was an option. Also Considering the IAC Hawk 982 which is a Remington 870 clone for like $250

13. ArrizX

ArrizX New Member

Ill get to a review and pictures tonight, thanks for the interest

14. Merlin40

Merlin40 New Member

Ria m5

I picked mine up yesterday. $200 OTD. I bought the nickel-plated one. So far so good!. I haven't shot it, yet. But if it shoots as good as it looks, and feels....I'll be a happy camper

Attached Files: