Rimfire vs. center fire

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by winds-of-change, Sep 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

What are the advantages and disadvantages of either? What would prompt you to chose one over the other? Thanks for any help or enlightenment offered to me here.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

for what purpose?? just plinking 22lr is cheap so are the guns. for hunting centerfire. for self defense centerfire. for training 22lr is cheap especially when you got conversion kits for most centerfire. it just depends on the role. a .22lr makes a superb survival round.

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

It all depends on what you are wanting to do. If you just want a pistol to practice and plink with. Get a rimfire Browning Buckmark or Ruger MkII or MkIII.

4. winds-of-change

What does .22lr stand for? Am I right in guessing "lr" is rimfire? What makes one better for self defense over the other? Personally, I didn't think a .22 made for good self defense at all. I mean, I certainly wouldn't want to be shot with one but I didn't think it had much "stopping power". I was told a .357 magnum would definitely stop someone, anything smaller would stop someone but not as quickly, giving the attacker a few minutes to do some damage before he dies. Am I totally mistaken? I only know what I've been told.

But getting back to the rimfire vs. center fire. I guess I was kind of wanting to know what is the difference in each and what purpose are they best suited for. Let's say I wanted to get a .22 pistol just for some cheap fun at the range. Rim fire, then? What makes a center fire better for self defense vs. the rimfire? More power?

5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

The term "rimfire" is generally considered synonymous with .22LR (the LR stands for long rifle, which is today's standard). In olden days there were many calibers of rimfire cartridges - not so today. Basically .22 handguns are good for serious target shooting & plinking. As a defensive round - nope.

Rimfire uses a compound located in the inside of the cartridge rim to start the explosive process.

Centerfire means any cartridge that uses a primer in the center of the base of the cartridge to start the process.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  6. GNLaFrance

GNLaFrance New Member

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  7. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher

Let me google that for you

.22lr for fun and target shooting

9mm, .357, .40, .45 or a dozen other centerfire rounds for self defense.

8. freefall

freefall New Member

You should take a hunter safety or gun safety course. They will tell you all about different cartridges, actions and firing mechanisms. There are very few rimfire calibers produced today and none of them are serious self-defense handgun cartridges.
    No offense, but anyone asking the questions you're asking needs education before buying a firearm.

9. winds-of-change

Well, I admit I don't know much about ammunition but I do own a gun. I know the basics of safety and I know about the gun I own. I will definitely look unto a gun safety course, though. Thank you for the suggestion.

10. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

1. winds-of-change has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

You have to empty some of the junk out of your mail box. Cannot transmit any further private messages. Joe

11. winds-of-change

Got it!! :eek:

12. Pyrogenic

Pyrogenic New Member

Interesting answer, that doesn't provide an answer, doesn't help, and demeans a person asking a question all at the same time!

So in your opinion, anyone should be an expert in rimfire history, like you, before owning any weapon? I found this forum trying to learn about rimfire too, but am no closer to any understanding without some helpful contribution.

13. winds-of-change

Pyrogenic, this is a very old thread you pulled up and I am the originator of this thread. It's all okay. I was new to guns and as green as the grass when I started this thread. I've come a ways with the help of the people on this forum. I was not offended by Freefall's post. He certainly had a point. But thank you so much for speaking up in my defense. Welcome to FTF and I look forward to learning from you, too. :D

Feel free to ask questions but I like the fact you used the "search" feature. You will get lots of friendly, helpful advice here about rimfires and anything else you want to know. This thread was actually the first of many, many threads I started with questions on the most basic things.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  14. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher

I think very old thread is the operative term in WOC's response. Let's not resurrect a thread unless there's a real good reason to do so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.