Remington Model 8

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by Wiseman3, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Wiseman3

Wiseman3 New Member

Ok Gents and those of our lovely lady's that have input here. I've got an opportunity to pick up a Model 8 Remington. It's in rough shape finish wise got a non factory screw on the magazine hold and is not fully resetting the trigger when manually manipulating the action. Question being is it worth the pick up if I get it cheap enough? Right now his price is $200 he might go cheaper but haven't got to that point yet. I appreciate the help on this. Ok ...... Go

2. Mercator

Mercator New Member

A tough one to answer, sight unseen. What caliber? If it is other than 35 Remington, I'd walk away for any money. Because even restored, it will be an expensive PIA to get the ammo for and shoot. What do you want to do with it? If you are a collector, forget everything I just said, I only speak from a shooter's perspective. If you want it because of the classic Browning long recoil action, I am with you. Are you up to restoring it? If you are, this may be it. The price is pocket money compared to the Model 8's I've seen at gun shows, $400+ in fair condition, or $1000++ in good condition I've only seen on the Internet.

3. SRK97

SRK97 Active Member

The modal 8 is pump-action right?

4. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Semi-auto.

5. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

Mercator is right, not enough info. $200 seems cheap but I haven't seen the gun. My self I would likely give $150 for any Model 8 without seeing it.

6. Wiseman3

Wiseman3 New Member

Yes I'm a collector got my 03 and everything. It is 35 rem but I too am a shooter I believe a collection of firearms are firearms that are shooters I am considering it for the restoration because as is I don't think its worth much more than the history but that's a big piece of history to own. I'm not that much on making a profit on it. I don't sell my firearms because I usually end up regretting it later down the road. Still I don't want to waste my time and money if I pick it up a couple hundred and then can't get even that out. You get what I'm saying? If you do can you explain it to me :)

7. Wiseman3

Wiseman3 New Member

Like I said its rough on the finish and would need to be refinished I think to gain back any value. There's some decent corrosion that once cleaned could end up as moderate pitting. If you had the shot at 150 you'd buy it?

8. kfox75

kfox75 New Member

Wiseman. I say go for it, but make an offer of $125 when you do. This will leave room to negotiate for both of you. the plus side is that it is a .35 Remington, so ammo will be easy to find, and it should be a fun restoration project.

Bear in mind that this advice is coming from somebody who has just started collecting Arisaka's so take it for what it is worth. Lack of easy to find ammo is not a deterrent for me. I love a challenge, and I like oddball firearms.

9. Wiseman3

Wiseman3 New Member

I hear ya Ariskas are on the list. I appreciate the advise from all of you. Got some thinking to do probably followed by some talking. :D

10. kfox75

kfox75 New Member

Good luck buddy.

11. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I would like to find a Remington Mdl. 8 chambered in the .25 Remington. I enjoy making obsolete ammunition. The Mdl. 8 was developed by John Browning while he was designing the famous A-5 Browning shot gun.
    An average grade Mdl. 8 in .35 Remington worn but sound all parts correct and safe to fire. These are around $500 dollars. Buying one with missing parts can cost to repair. :)

12. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

Yes. They are often good shooters(I've shot several). A friend of mine has an 81 in 300 Savage and that thing is very accurate.
    At $150 you could part it out and make money if you wanted.

13. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Active Member

81 in 300 savage

The fellow that gave me a 1916 Spanish Mauser, had just traded for a decent bush condition Remington 81 in .300 savage from upriver (Kobuk) he believes it was once a village police rifle, Ive heard of Alaskan village police safes having all sorts of odd stuff, Selwaik jail once had a 1928A1 Thompson I heard about from 3 different sources and Kiana had 3, High Standard Model 10 police shotguns.

Model 81 Woodsmaster

In 1936, Remington dropped the Model 8 and introduced the Model 81 Woodsmaster with improvements by C.C. Loomis. The Model 81 was offered in .300 Savage and the .25 Remington chambering was dropped after a limited number of 81's were chambered in this round. It was offered in Standard (81A), Special (81B), Peerless (81D), Expert (81E) and Premier (81F) grades. The Federal Bureau of Investigation acquired some Model 81 rifles chambered for .30 Remington and .35 Remington in response to the 1933 Kansas City Massacre. Production of the Model 81 ceased in 1950.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  14. 303tom

303tom New Member

Kalashnikov stole that design from Browning.................

15. txpossum

txpossum New Member

If it were me, I'd go for it, but try to get it a little cheaper due to the condition. If the owner won't come down, I'd still (pardon the pun) pull the trigger on it. But then I like the older, sorta classic American firearms, and I know a good gunsmilth who works cheap.

I'd love to have one, but haven't come across one in quite a while.

16. string1946

string1946 New Member

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. I've got a Remington Model 81 which is basically the same gun and I gave $499 for it but its in pretty good shape. Its 300 Savage.

Attached Files: