Quick Special Forces Question

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Benning Boy, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Back in the day, an S.F. guy told me when you completed the course, you needed "the three R's".

You needed the ring (I took it to mean an S.F. ring, as I got an Infantry ring when I graduated), the Rolex ( the epitome of a professional's watch at the time), and the third "R" was a field knife. I want to say it was a Randall, but can't remember, hence the question.

Anybody know what I'm talking about?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Randall. ( or a Russell for purists)

However, the 3 things for a SEASONED member of Special Forces-

Star sapphire ring, Seiko watch, at least one divorce. :rolleyes:

3. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Why yes BB I do. ;) Short answer the knife is a Yarborough knife. It is to distinguish the graduate as a recognized member as a warrior in the Special Forces. The 3rd 'R' really represents R-E-S-P-E-C-T, hence the significance of the knife. Really it stands for Reeves, the original maker of the knife, General William P. Yarborough, who the knife is named after, played a big part in the origination of the special forces. Earlier SF guys carried Demo pocket knives.

That knife was the last item presented in my final phase 'Q' course graduation. Along with the Yarborough knife, beret recognition and my SF tab, next group selection and team assignment orders.

P.S. and Shooter is correct about the d-i-v-o-r-c-e thing, also.

Jack

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  4. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

C3, do you possess the palm pistol in your avatar? (Droooolzzz)

5. c3shooter

Nope- wish I did have a Chicago- but I DO have some ammo for one- caliber 32 Protector. The cartridge case is about 1/3 of an inch long, and they were loaded with 4 grains of BP. They quit making the ammo in 1917.

6. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Saw it for the first time in a Steven Seagal movie, and decided I must have one.:cool:

7. c3shooter

Well, finding one IN WORKING ORDER is pretty rare- they tended to snap springs a lot. But when fired as a contact shot (punch your opponent in the chest) it would be just about completely silent. .32 bullet, with the powder load of a .22 short.

I do have a couple of nice Baby Hammerless 22s that are just cuter than a speckled pup......

8. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Can you post some pictures please shooter, I want to see them. :)

Jack

9. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

If I recall, in the Seagal movie, it was a display piece, and he took it down only to repair it. So I guess you're dead on.:)

I still want one.:D

10. c3shooter

pistols 001.jpg

The bottom two are Baby Hammerless revolvers. 22 Short, different models. Just for scale, the upper revolver is a Colt Peacemaker in 22 Mag. The Baby Hammerlesses (Hammerlessi?) have 1 inch barrels. And yeah, 2nd one from top is a US Revolver topbreak in 32 S&W.

11. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Those are some nice looking wheeli shooters. I really like the US Revolver top break 32 S&W. The top breaks I have shot have always been a pleasant memory. Thanks for posting the pics.

Jack

12. County Boy

County Boy New Member

Not to get off subject, but that's a cool hideaway gun. A buddy of mine has a wallet gun, it looks like a regular wallet but with a .22 cal single shot inside it I think it is a .22 short, wicked cool looking never seen another around unsure if they are still around or available, he didn't know who made or remember when he got it, he said he had it for a long time.

13. c3shooter

There is an issue with the "wallet' guns. There were a few, notably some 2 shot derringers that would fit in a leather case that looked like a wallet, but had a hole in the side for your trigger finger.

The ATF ruled that IF the gun could be fired while still in the wallet, the combination of gun & wallet met their definition of a "disguised firearm" (think about a cane gun) and as such, the combination of gun and wallet had to be registered as a NFA class III, under the "Any Other Weapon" classification.

Yep- that's right- a piece of leather had to be registered as a Class III. Go figure.

14. JohnnyLoco

JohnnyLoco New Member

"at least one divorce"

Thats funny right there, I don't care where your from :)

15. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member

Nowadays it would be a Spyderco or Horrigan knife, a Suunto X10M watch and some GU Hardrock energy gel. ;)