primers

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Kraj, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Kraj

Kraj New Member

My lgs got a shipment of primers in. I've only been reloading for about 2 months so I only picked up 1000. 37 bucks which isn't bad considering the last bunch I bought around here was 34 before the panic

2. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

That is a good price and you are lucky they let you get a full 1K. Our LGS allowed me to buy 2 - 100 packs yesterday at $5 per 100.

3. sparky80

sparky80 New Member

That's a good deal. I got small and large pistol primers at two diffferent shops for 50 plus tax per 1k.

4. Donn

Donn New Member

Get as many as you can. Reloading supplies are the weak link in the chain, primers in particular.

5. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I've bought 5,000 in the past 2 weeks for 33.40 per 1,000. Small/Large Pistol and Rem Benchrest Small Rifle. I'll probably pickup another 2-3,000 this next week. I'm stockpiling them while they are available.

6. Ranger185

Ranger185 New Member

You guys are lucky I have finally gotten everything to get started well when my dies get here tomorrow but can't find any small pistol primers anywhere. I was able to get a box of small rifle but kinda Leary of starting out with those since I am a newbie.....

7. Kraj

Kraj New Member

stopped in to my local cabellas which was empty because there is a snow storm coming. picked up 1000 SPP for 38.72. not bad considering i didnt think i would find any

8. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Ammunition companies are running 24/7 catching up. Reloading supplies will be in short supply until the stocks are up. Small pistol primers will most likely be hard to get for another 6 mos.

9. Kraj

Kraj New Member

I know that they arnt in stock piles but ive been really lucky. I started reloading at the tail end of december before all this panic started. I had 200 primers left and i found some in stock so i got 1000. I had about 75 when i found these tonight. Shooting wayyy more than i was 4 months ago. Which is sweet

10. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

When loading for handguns 1,000 primers may not last very long. I run a progressive machine and buy 5,000 at a time. I doubt I will make it thru the drought.:(

11. locutus

locutus New Member

That's the only way to buy them.

12. jwjessup

jwjessup New Member

If your reloading for small pistol primers, you can also use small rifle primers. In my area small rifle primers are easier to come by. Good luck to all to find what y'all need.

13. coyotex

coyotex New Member

A couple of months ago I bought any size,any brand primers for $30 a thousand and match grade for $35 = now I cant find any except from jack-offs that want to rip me off. Been here before so I just load less = prices will come back to normal people.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  14. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Ranger- DO NOT try to sub small rifle for small pistol primers. Bad ju-ju. No, Uh-uh.

15. coyotex

coyotex New Member

Are you crazy? they are not the same animal in any way,shape,or form. Anyone who Jimmy-Rigs when they are handloading is just asking for it. This is why I always tell people to NEVER buy re-loads unless they know the source very well.

16. Shade

Shade New Member

I could not find any locally for awhile, recently purchased 10K for 41/1000.
    High but available in qty.

17. grandpabear

grandpabear New Member

Small rifle primers are the same as small pistol magnum primers. You can sub. small rifle primers and small pistol mag. primers for small pistol primers, BUT you must start at low end and work back up and watch for pressure signs. You shouldn't even change primer brands without starting over. The small pistol mag. primers and the small rifle primers have a stronger cup and they take more firing pin or striker force to detonate. As long as you have enough firing pin/striker force to fire them reliably you can use them. There are people that moved to small rifle during the 08/09 panic and they NEVER moved back.

18. Shade

Shade New Member

This week picked up 8k primers, $42/1000