Polishing or Lapping Compound

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Chr, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Chr

Chr New Member

I would like to polish the bolt and the receiver on my Rugar Mark lll. What would you recommend and where can I get the compound? Would it be worth the time and effort?
    Thanks

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Depends on what you hope to accomplish- cosmetic, or making action smoother? FLITZ brand metal polish works well with a lot of things- Google- available at a LOT of retail stores. Be aware that all polishes are abrasive- some very mildly, some aggressively. Get too enthusiastic on a blued gun, you will have an unblued gun.

3. Minionsram

Minionsram New Member

Not knowing what you are exactley wanting to do I went here and searched for Lapping compounds. Midway is a good store, check them out!

MidwayUSA - Advanced Search

4. Chr

Chr New Member

Like to make the action smoother

Thanks for your reply.
    My thought was to make the (bolt assembly & receiver) action smoother and improve the gun.
    I am ordering a new triger and sear and installing a set of Wolfe springs.
    Thanks again.

5. Ram Rod

Ram Rod New Member

For simply polishing, I use white rouge and my Dremel tool. You might be able to find it at your local hardware store. I did my G27 barrel and I love it!

6. indy_kid

indy_kid New Member

For quick jobs, try Pearl Drops Tooth Polish. Very mild abrasive, so no worries about causing harm to the parts. No stains if you get it on blued parts. Re-use until you get the desired effect.

If Pearl Drops isn't available, look for toothpastes with mild abrasives - many don't have the gritty feel of PD, so you may have to try a few brands.

Doing this by hand, or do you have a buffing wheel? Be careful with the motorized wheels - easy to over-due it!