Pistol charge our Rifle?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by BigJohn3282, Apr 24, 2013.

1. BigJohn3282

BigJohn3282 New Member

I own a H&R Handi Rifle chambered in 500 S&W Mag. Someone told me the factory rounds have a Pistol charge, and bullet. If I were to reload with a Rifle charge, and bullet it would increase the Guns performance. Is this true?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, the .500 S&W IS a revolver load- albeit a very powerful one. And one that your rifle is designed to fire. So exactly what would you plan to use for load data and components- and what is the source of that information?

In general, if you are seeking a greater degree of energy, you probably need to look at a different firearm.

3. BigJohn3282

BigJohn3282 New Member

I was just curious if it could be done.

4. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member

C3 is correct. The longarm you have was designed by the manufacturer to use a pistol round and would not handle higher SAAMI pressures from loading it to a theoretical rifle load. The benefit you gain is greater range and accuracy from a shoulder-fired weapon and longer barrel, which also gives you higher velocities due to better utilization of the burning powder. Borrow a chronograph and put a few rounds across it and you may be surprised!

5. Wambli

Wambli New Member

Sure! But I doubt you'll ever need more "performance" than what you will get from factory ammo in that gun unless a sudden invation of angry rhinos is on your list of potential threats. ;)

6. Hunterdan

Hunterdan New Member

I'm no expert on reloading, but I think if you used a slower burning powder you could generate a little more velocity and energy than if you used a faster burning pistol powder. As long as you follow the guidelines and load data for that powder. Seems pretty common for guys shooting pistol calibers in lever guns.

7. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I was taught pistol rounds are designed to max out at 8", rifles rounds at around 16-18" and shotguns at 18". Some rounds could SLOW the farther they go down the barrel!!!

8. JTJ

JTJ Active Member

The 357 mag will pick up 300 - 400 fps over the factory specs in an 18" barrel. 44 mag will pick up about 300 fps. The semi auto rounds like the 9mm, 40 S&W and 45ACP will only pick up 100-200 fps. The H&R rifles use the same action for higher pressure rounds. The barrels are the same diameter as their shotgun barrels. The 440 grain 500 S&W is doing about 2000 fps in a rifle which is about 400 fps.
    http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  9. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member

Not true. A .44 Mag lever action yields significantly higher velocity than an 8" revolver. My 9mm AR gains about 200 fps over the same load in a handgun.

Rifles are dependent on the cartridge. Even the .223/5.56mm has move velocity out of a 20" barrel than a 16". Some calibers like the big magnums need at least 26" for anywhere near max velocity.

11. robocop10mm

And, to address the OP query; The .500 S&W will shoot just fine out of a handy rifle. MV should increase by 100 - 150 fps. Doubtful you can improve on the factory ballistics as they are loaded with fairly slow burning powders to begin with.

Experimenting with "rifle" powders is likely to lead to missing limbs.

12. MattShlock

MattShlock New Member

And .22 Mag I've read lose velocity after 19" but it helps with accuracy. I don't think there's a rule.

13. robocop10mm

Even that depends on the load. Every manufacturer uses slightly different powders. Remington load A might peak at 17" and Winchester Load A might peak at 20"

14. twotater38

twotater38 New Member

Call the tech guys at Sierra bullets and ask them. I haven't done this in some time but they use to be a world of info.

15. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh New Member

.44-40 has a gain of 540fps when going from a 6" pistol to 24" rifle.

16. JTJ

JTJ Active Member

Every round has a point that it runs out of power and will slow down once it reaches that point. It depends on a number of factors like bullet size, weight, powder type, powder charge etc. For the 22lr 40 hv it is about 17 inches. past that point it will start to slow down. A 28" barrel will slow down the 22lr round and start to act as a suppressor. There is a major difference between the sound of a 22lr in an 18" barrel and a 28" barrel. For center fire magnums the distance is much longer. I posted a ballistics by the inch chart earlier in the thread. It will give you some idea of where handgun cartridges find their optimal barrel length. Unfortunately it did not cover the 500 S&W. I found that information elsewhere.
    I used to reload for my wife's 19" barreled 243. I used a slightly faster burning powder because of the short barrel. My hand loads were quieter than factory loads which were optimized for a 24" barrel and were faster than the factory loads in that barrel.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013