Own A Ruger LCP 380?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by PanBaccha, May 15, 2011.

1. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

This small back-up is one hellava gun. Small, light, accurate, and potent. :D
    Anyone else own one?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McLEiRJbjpY&feature=player_detailpage]YouTube - Ruger LCP .380[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5DrJMW1qAI&feature=player_detailpage[/ame]

2. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

1). Nope. Got a Sig 238. :cool:

[​IMG]

2). Congrats and indeed, the Ruger LCP is a nice little pocket gun. ;)

Last edited: May 16, 2011

3. Shihan

Shihan Lifetime Supporting Member

The wife has one for her everyday carry. There are quite a few on here that have the Elsie Pea.

4. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Neat little gun, too bad it is really a Kel-Tec knock off....

The LC9 is a Ruger design.

5. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

It's currently my primary CCW, soon to be a BUG. Neat little gun, but it takes some getting use to. I'm use to SA triggers, and something I can hold onto.

Also, it took about 150 rds for it to smooth out, but seems to feed well now. Before I'd have to bump the slide closed with my thumb half the time. But, I think part of the problem was me not getting enough oil in the slide/frame grooves.

6. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Active Member

I bought my LCP last Tuesday (or was it Wednesday?), and finally took it to the woods yseterday. Put 50 rounds of Monarch FMJ and ten rounds of Hornady Critical Defense through it with only one FTF (when my wife was shooting it).
    I like it, but the sights are nothing to write home about. Of course, in a self-defense situation, does anyone look at the sights anyway? I was able to shoot it one-handed ok, with both dominant and week hands, which is more than I can say about my .38 Airweight or the P10-45 (my left (weak) wrist has 11 screws in it after a fracture, and doesn't take kindly to much direct recoil).

7. newguy22

newguy22 New Member

It's a terrible little gun but I would never ever get rid of it! Yes it's a great CCW but it's no fun to shoot. My suggestion to anyone who wants to buy one, get it and shoot it enough to get used to it, then put it away and hope you never need to use it. My hands aren't that big but this thing isn't what I thought it would be. But with that said, I would never give up such a great gun for what it is intended for. It's small and has the safe trigger for CCW. Accuracy is something that you can't work on on a CCW weapon, it's self defence you are looking for not target or range shooting. I give it a 10 for what it is intended for.

8. BillM

BillM New Member

In my pocket in a Alabama Holster Company Kydex holster right
    now, all day, EVERY day.

Factory sights are worthless, but it points well. I've got a CT
    laser on it. Filled with Federal Hydra-Shok's. It's far from the
    ultimate defense gun/caliber, but it beats the heck out nothin'.

9. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Active Member

I actually found it to be a fun gun to shoot. Fifty rounds through the LCP was no worse than fifty through my Para P10-45, to me at least.

10. stalkingbear

stalkingbear New Member

Mine has proven itself reliable. I have big hands and have trouble holding onto it because of it's small size but don't feel it kicks that much. The perceived recoil isn't bad at all IMO. It makes an excellent BUG.

11. Davo45

Davo45 New Member

I've got the Kel-Tec P3AT .380, which Ruger essentially copied with a couple of minor changes. I've put 250 rounds of FMJ Ball through it and 20 rounds Speer Gold Dot JHP as that's what I carry in it for SD. On duty I carry it beneath my zippered uniform shirt in a kydex holster made by a local deputy under the name of Trojan Tactical. I have carried it on trips with my son's church youth group as a primary, but 99% of the time I carry it as a back-up-gun.

As someone else said, the sights aren't anything to write home about, but at the distances most defensive shootings occur at sights are largely meaningless as most people never use them. If a head shot were needed it could be done (with my eyes) at up to 25 feet past that I wouldn't try it.

I know several other people who have the P3AT and LCR, officers and civilians alike who love them and a few who have gotten one shot it and traded it off shortly thereafter. I guess it's like anything else, it comes down to everybody being different and having different expectations, likes, dislikes and opinions.

12. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

13. mkett39

mkett39 New Member

Very reliable and concealable. Always hear about the sights, it is not a range/target pistol. It has one purpose and it is personal protection. Nothing wrong with a .380 round, I would not want to be shot with one-would you?

When shot dead--dead is dead.

14. hogrider

hogrider New Member

I don't think it is a fun gun to shoot. But with adrenaline pumping, I don't think it would matter. Just hope I never have to use it on anything except paper.

15. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

I think the sights are quite usable in a non SD situation where you have time to get them just perfect.

My problem with the LCP is user error. I tend to shoot quite low with it unless I'm REALLY concentrating on squeezing the heck out of it with the 1.5 fingers I can get on it. I think I pull the muzzle down when I pull that long/stiff DA trigger. But, that's no fault of the gun, that's just me being used to SA triggers, or DA triggers on revolvers that are big enough for me to hold on to.

I think the LCP for what it is, is great, I just need to spend more time shooting it.

Brian, do you by chance have a Blackberry phone. :D:p

16. Davo45

Davo45 New Member

The trigger on my Kel-Tec isn't hard at all, it's actually pretty nice for a DAO. I can put 8 rounds inside a 6" paper plate at 10' as fast as I can squeeze the trigger, that's without even looking at the sights just pushing the pistol towards the target and squeezing the trigger until it's empty.

I haven't shot one of the LCR's but haven't heard any of my friends who have one complaining about the trigger being too heavy. I guess if you're used to a short crisp 2.5-3.5 # trigger pull on a tuned 1911 the trigger pull on any DAO would seem hard.

A Glock trigger seemed horrible to me after carrying and shooting nothing but a tuned 1911 and Ruger MkII .22 for 7 years. Once I got used to it, I don't think anything about it. I also have and shoot a S&W model 65 .38 spl and the Kel-Tec trigger is a lot shorter and lighter than it (it's also having an action job done on it as i write this too).

17. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

To tone down the kick I had taken out the recoil spring #9 and replaced it with a Wolf recoil spring #13 and a BT rod. It shoots wonderfully steady without the previous recoil. :)

18. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Where did you get those? :)

19. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Hard to believe but, yeah, where do you get them?

20. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

For the Wolff Recoil Springs go to the bottom of that link to the section marked Ruger's LCP 380. There you will find a selection of #9 pound, #11 pound, #12 pound or #13 pound recoil springs.

Springs for RUGER Semi-Auto Pistols

...................................................................................................

Now for the B~T Guide Rods click onto: BTGuiderods

Hope that helps. It helped me just fine. :)