Our Founding Fathers

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by hillbilly68, Feb 18, 2009.

1. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

Gents (and the few ladies we have as well),
    I love to read about the forming of our great Nation and the men that made our lives possible. We literally owe everything we have to them. They risked EVERYTHING to set the conditions for our success. It is fascinating to say the least. These men were the epitome of statesmen. However I don't think we have a good sense anymore of who they were and what they really did. So I would ask that anyone that has any obscure fact or vignette from that period to add it to this thread. I think we should always pass this on to our future generations and remind ourselves from time to time what they achieved. As little or as much as you want to contribute, as obscure or obvious as you prefer.

For a start:

Thomas Jefferson and John Adams both died on the same day; July 4, 1826

Benjamin Franklin was an avid swimmer and wanted to be a sailor

James Otis died of a lightning strike in 1783

The Connecticut Compromise divided the legislature into two bodies to allow less populous states to be represented equally by the Senate

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  2. chopkick

chopkick New Member

Thanks for the little known info Hillbilly (at least to me).
    These great and brave men who founded this nation are slowly slipping from the pages of history. They are, by the radical left, being replaced by the likes of Che Guevara, Mohammed and every other social deviate that has placed a target on freedom.
    Let us not soil the memories of these great Americans by going quietly into the night when evil knocks.

3. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

What I try to remember is that every signer of the Declaration of Independence knew they were signing their own death warrants. It was Treason to do so. Most lost their houses and many lost family. Land was forfeited and women folk raped and crops burned. To think of the risk those men faced chin-up and steadfast. Heck, everyone these days is offically a puss.

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

This is not so much about the Founding Fathers, but I recently received an e-mail that told me about a program that I had not heard of before. I would say that this program by Dwight Eisenhower is worthy of this thread.

JD

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  5. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

JD, what am I supposed to see on that link? It does not say anything, just Operation ******.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2009
  6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Crap. Bad link - I fixed it now....

JD

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  7. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Good article. Leave it to a General to buck the system!

In college poli-sci classes, I was required to have a subscription to the CS Monitor. It was the only news paper we were allowed to use for research when writing papers. :)