On the subject coffee. french press help needed

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by DodgerBlue, Feb 16, 2012.

1. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

Ok I'm sure most of us can agree on one thing. We love our coffee.

That said. I have a french press, coffee grinder, and hot water. But how do I make a perfect pot?

I have the Bodum 8-cup model designed for Starbucks where I bought it.

I believe it's the glass one you see everywhere. For the full 8 cups, strong brew,(light brew gives me a headache) how much coffee is best?

Any advice on the perfect french press pot?

2. JTJ

JTJ Active Member

My wife uses 1 tablespoon of grounds for each cup.

3. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

JTJ I think that is the standard measure. When is the Spring Gun Show down at the water park? I always make the 4 gun shops down town when I am there.:)

4. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

Dr.Pepper...In the Morning....Wouldn't you like to be a pepper-to.....:)...

5. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I have stopped drinking coffee as of last October but at the time I was using the very same French press by Bodum to brew in. It took me a few days to figure out the perfect amount for a pot but for me it was 4 heaping tablespoons, pour in the boiling water and wait about 5 minutes before pressing down the plunger. If you wait longer the brew keeps getting stronger. Too much coffee in the mix makes it bitter in my experience. Play around with it for a few days and you will have it nailed pretty quick.

6. zebramochaman

zebramochaman New Member

For a French Press you need to use a coarser grind than you would for drip-brewing. One level scoop per 6oz cup.

7. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Good point.

8. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

thanks vikingdad, 4 heaping into the same Bodum, thats what i was looking for. Cant wait for moring coffee.

Also I use coarse beans from my electric grinder.

9. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I use a 2 tablespoon coffee scoop (I think one was provided with the Bodum?), heaping.

Too much coffee in there and it quickly gets thick enough to plow but too wet to plant:D.

10. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

I fill to cap of my grinder, grind the coffee and pour into the press

11. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

Have some fun with it. Take the time to play with it and see what it does. To start, go with coarse ground coffee and a heaping Tablespoon for each cup and you will be okay.

12. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

This is the best measurement.

How long does it take to finish off a pot?

I've found taking a couple of table spoons of grounds off the top will take a lot of the bitterness towards the end of the pot out.

13. johnbrowning

johnbrowning New Member

Guess I'm lazy. I use Kuerig with French roast and I like it is well as or better than most

14. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Try 1 Tbsp per cup plus one Tbsp extra. You may have to cut down a little if you don't like it strong. Be sure the grind is medium to large.

I like mine very strong. Hell, after the military I'll still drink day old, re,re,reheated coffee and be fine.

15. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

Dude, so funny!! I thought I was the only one drinking day old!

Funny things change when you serve in the Military. I went to boot camp in 1989. To this very day I still eat every meal as if I were still in boot camp and had like 2 minuets to eat.

We go out to eat and my girl is just getting started and I'm done. I'm like "you ready?" and she gets sooo mad,lol.

16. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

Same here.:)