non citizen firearms ownership?

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by aussie, Jul 15, 2011.

1. aussie

aussie New Member

g'day folks Just a quick question Some time In the next 24 months I will be moveing to the usa for studies and once The three year course is done I will be applying for a green card/permanent residency but any way Can I get a Firearms Lisence or what ever is needed over There to have a firearms licence for Hand guns for sports shooting I compete In ipsc Pistol shooting and would like to continue Our laws over here suck balls for hand guns rifels ect but I wont rant about them at this time Are state laws Diffrent from state to state If so I will be studying in trinidad colorado?

2. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

They are different from state to state and sometimes from county to county. BEST thing you could do is ask a lawyer in the county you are moving to. They will be able to give you the best advice than anyone.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

I believe you can as a resident alien but not as a temporary. State laws do vary by a lot. California and illinois for example make australia down right cozy gun wise.

4. aussie

aussie New Member

We cant have semi auto long arms and can Only have full size hand guns and you have to have firearms Lockt in a safe at all time and cant use them for self Defence!

5. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

In California and Illinois, youre lucky you can keep your fingers as they can be used to poke someone in the eye.....

6. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Aussi,

I have one of my Supervisors researching this for me. Are you coming in on a F1 visa? When are you coming, I believe you may not be able to buy a handgun here but you may be able to bring one in with you. I'll drop you a pm in the morning.

Shawn

7. aussie

aussie New Member

Yeh Mate F1 visa I will be doeing a Gunsmithing course Gota look in to it a bit more ect so Let me get this right I can bring one But if it breaks I can not buy a new one?

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

A RESIDENT alien (such as my lady) can and has bought firearms quite legally. There are a few additional hoops for a NON-RESIDENT alien, but yes, it is legal. Now, being able to take it home with you when you go, THAT may be another matter- between you and your own authorities.

As I had mentioned to another poster, a friend writes a blog on hunting, fishing, and guns. This is it- THE NEW RIVER VALLEY OUTDOORSMAN

On the LEFT side, scroll down until you get to the "Mike buys a rifle"- Mike was one of his students- If I recall, a Kiwi. After you have been in Colorado, go take the hunter safety course, get a hunting license, THEN go gun shopping.

If you are a smoker, quit now. Trinidad is 6010 ft above sea level. :eek:

9. aussie

aussie New Member

Cheers mate so with a Hunting Lisence I can buy a hand gun as well as rifels?

10. c3shooter

THAT I am not sure about- but handgun hunting IS legal in Colorado (for big game, has to be high power handgun) If you are going to be at the Colorado School of Trades there in T-Dad, your faculty should be able to get you a definite answer- but rifle/shotgun for sure. How long will you be there? There is a minimum time in residence before you can buy- either 30 or 90 days- need coffee before I can remember.

11. aussie

aussie New Member

Ill be there for the full course Yeh its 90 days three months Some one sent me a pm and said It doesnt Matter if I buy from a Privte person or a gun show? is that right?

12. c3shooter

Buying from a non-dealer (aka an "unlicensed person") in the state you are residing in does not involve the paperwork that buying from a dealer involves, but the same laws apply.

13. Graves

Graves New Member

I moved to the US when I turned 18 with my wife.

I'm not 100% sure but I think as an alien you can own firearms but not get a CCW

Also in most places you can't buy a handgun if you're under 21, but you can own one.

14. johnmed3

johnmed3 New Member

If your a legal resident (green card) you can get a chl. (At least here in TX you can).

15. c3shooter

My lady was a resident alien (green card, not a US Citizen) and she had a VA CCW.

16. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired

prior to my nieces getting the naturalized citizenship, they could buy handguns (at age 21), but never wanted the CCW.