No Laughing At The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Vikingdad, Nov 15, 2011.

1. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

My son and I were visiting the tomb and a lady was yakking away on her cell phone and my son gave her hell. It really is amazing how stupid and self absorbed people can be.

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I don't think I would have because I'm basically a chicken. But I would certainly be hoping someone did. I think that guard put them in their place and I would hope they jerks were very embarrassed that they had to be told to be respectful.

3. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Being shamed is a powerful motivator. I hope it changed the way the behave throughout their lives from now on.

4. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Yes indeed. Very disrespectful and undisciplined behavior. :mad:

5. shadamai

shadamai New Member

I couldn't really hear much on the video other than the soldier, but hope I would find the courage to say something if I heard someone being disrespectful in that situation. Fortunately, the soldier called the person/people out on it. It amazes me how little respect and consideration people have for others in our society.

RJD, good for your son. Sometimes kids have a lot of insight about how we treat other people.

6. fmj

fmj New Member

My boy (not my son, one of my eldest boys best friends whos dad was rather, "absent", shall we say, so he spent A LOT (read: most) of time at our house, on camping trips, at the range, etc. etc) is a member of the Old Guard.

Makes THIS old man proud.

Funny how quick things got quiet after the Old Guard bark his instructions. :D That makes me laugh!

7. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I like that guard, he isn't afraid to tell someone to shut the hell up and be respectful.

8. Chainfire

Chainfire Active Member

There also seems to be a problem with some Japanese tourists at the Arizona memorial at Pearl Harbor, cutting the fool on the grave of the sailors. I am afraid if I were there for that, someone would go swimming in the harbor.

Some things are worth getting arrested for.

9. fmj

fmj New Member

We'll file that under...

..."A mans gotta stand for something or he'll fall for anything!!"

10. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

ALRIGHT!! Kudos to the Guard On Duty!! :) :) :)

11. orangello

orangello New Member

There are those of us who have trouble keeping a straight face sometimes; the smart ones know what places/situations to observe from afar.

12. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

That is what the Sentry is there for. To guard The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier!

All who have served there, are currently on duty and who will accept that post in the future; have my complete, undying and most reverent respect!

13. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

Why would you go see anything and talk on the phone? I don't get it.

14. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

In some situations I will start talking to people who are on the cell phone and mock what they are talking about. And they think I am the rude one!:eek:

15. trip286

trip286 New Member

That's just dirty. Something we should all remember though, is that there are a lot of Americans who travel to foreign countries and act like total jackasses too.

16. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

True enough. :eek:

17. fmj

fmj New Member

Something simply inherently WRONG with a Jap laughing at the USS Arizona Memorial.

Kinda like me laughing at the Nagasaki or Hiroshima blast memorials. (If there is such a thing)

Or a Kraut laughing at the cemetery at Normandy. (Where my Uncle (Gramps brother) is buried)

Solemn places, even could be considered holy places...NO Place for laughter or boisterousness. All should act equally reverent at such places no matter generation or nationality.

18. TimKS

TimKS Lifetime Supporting Member

Does the guard at the tomb carry live ammo?

19. trip286

trip286 New Member

There have been some Americans who got into some trouble for starting stuff at the Nagasaki memorial. Can't give dates or links, but I very vividly remember seeing it on the news about 5 years ago. All I could do was hang my head in shame.

I think he does.