Firearms Talk banner

No guns allowed signs

6K views 55 replies 28 participants last post by  Riverg420 
#1 ·
I see these terrible signs and they make me cringe. In Florida these worthless signs carry no legal weight except in courthouses, police stations, and federal buildings. I choose to ignore them except for the places mentioned in the last sentence. These places have armed security to keep people there safe. My life and safety of my loved ones is more important that some anti-rights business owner’s utopian views. What a crazy world we live in where ANYONE is permitted to create the “safe” gun free zones! I am curious about how other states treat these signs under the law and how others that carry respond to them. Please weigh in.

#28 ·
can't decide whether this is funny or sad :eek:
It's damn funny after you slap it on the door of your local ******* business owner then check daily to see how long they walk past it before noticing!

Could be days and day of chuckles. :)

Tack

#29 ·
Oho is only one of two states that holds a business owner liable for posting those signs - it's in the state code that the owner is liable should people be injured. This was done to take the liability off the state paying all the medical bills for people that should have been legally able to defend themselves.

If we take a page from the antis playbook and garner control in small, calculated moves, we could be greatly aided by more states passing laws that protect them from business owners creating dangerous and costly situations for the state by disarming state-licensed citizens. Every gunbuster sign posted makes the business owner liable for ALL damages and suits.

Think the signs would thin out then??

#30 ·
i kinda disagree. a public business is a public place not private property. the supreme court has ruled on this sort of thing. just because states have chosen to ignore and disrespect my right to self defense is not going to make me respect them.

you cant bar a person fom a business based on race sex or political opinions. a business cannot remove your inalienable rights just because they disagree with them. hang a sign on a door at walmart saying no blacks, democrats, muslims see how that goes.
I can't bring my Siberian husky into a restaurant. Why? She's not going to pee on the floor or bother people. How many places have a "No shirt, no shoes, no service" sign? Plenty. It's their policy. I respect it.

You're right that courts have ruled every which way in every state differently on whether people do or don't have a right to carry in workplaces or businesses. I'm looking at it from a libertarian perspective: it's a privately-owned business and the owners have let me know what they do and don't want, so I'll respect them by not spending my money there. Simple as that.

#31 ·
A business should have that right, absolutely, but since SCOTUS rules businesses are people, then my opinion is with the rights they inherit should come the same responsibilities.

If they choose to exercise their right to strip me of mine, and a robbery happens, they SHOULD be responsible for the aftermath if someone is hurt or killed. Their negligence contributed to the situation.

#32 ·
PrimePorkchop said:
A business should have that right, absolutely, but since SCOTUS rules businesses are people, then my opinion is with the rights they inherit should come the same responsibilities.

If they choose to exercise their right to strip me of mine, and a robbery happens, they SHOULD be responsible for the aftermath if someone is hurt or killed. Their negligence contributed to the situation.
Agreed.......

#36 ·
PrimePorkchop said:

That is like holding a gun shop responsible for crimes committed with a gun they sold.
I can't follow how your rights are "stripped" I will agree they are certainly suspended when and if you go in BUT entering the business is OPTIONAL and staying outside means your rights are intact just as it should be.

So on the other side of that coin ... if you, as a CCW holder, are in business that allows firearms; should YOU be held responsible if someone is hurt or killed during a robbery if you failed to stop the criminal before the damage is done?
Again entry was optional and upon entering you must assume responsibility for your actions and that means it is as much your fault as the owner.

I don't get all the fuss over these signs, JUST DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH THESE PEOPLE. I support their rights as individuals to live life or do business as they see fit (even when I don't agree) I do NOT support their lives by spending money in that store.

#41 ·
Test Case

In CT last night a lawyer w CCW license carried his gun into a theater (no sign) to see the Dark Night and was noticed. Police were called and he did not cooperate w them when they surrounded him. He stayed on his cell phone. He was arrested for breach of peace and interfering w officers.

CT is a Blue State and people are still on alert after the Colorado killings. However, he was legally carrying his pistol; he kept it holstered the entire time and did not endanger the public at any time. These facts are not in dispute.

His only fault as I see it was being an idiot when confronted by police. Being a lawyer, I'm betting he will opt to take this to court. So we will have a test case to see which way the law is leaning. Yes, I know it's supposed to be impartial but unfortunately - its not. :confused:

#43 ·
Mea Culpa, I'm on I - Pad and have no idea how to do it. The story was on our local news last night and I read about it in today's paper - Hartford Courant page one "Theater Gun Scare."

CT urban legends have people losing their CC permits over incidents like this so I agree, this will be interesting.

#44 ·
They have no legal weight here in Indiana too, except for the givens like commercial aircraft, govt buildings and schools, etc. We can however carry to a school if dropping off or picking up our kids provided we don't leave the vehicle. I've only ever seen three no gun signs in my area, one of which was actually just a stone's throw across the river in Kentucky. Another one looked like my 3 yr old son had made it with some crayons.

#48 ·
My problem is I shouldn't have to change my way of life or the services I enjoy as a free American citizen because of someone being anti-rights. Yes, these business owners worked hard to begin and remain in business. This fact does not trump my right to self defense with the best tool at my disposal, which happens to be my sidearm. Think about what has been said by some: the owner has a right to allow who or what may happen on their premises. How about a bad person(who), who wants to hurt people(what). Yes, that is ok, but I stand firm that I should be able to stop that "who" and "what" no matter where I am unless proper security and procedures are in place such as an airport or courthouse. I think anyone here saying they know of a movie theater or shopping mall that is a hardened and secured area is telling a joke or a lie. Get real, the world is a dangerous place. We need to stack the odds in our favor instead of the dark side's favor or someone's business that just doesn't think firearms align with their moral compass. Again, people who disagree, I challenge you to have these same beliefs while you or your loved ones are at the wrong end of the muzzle being wielded by an evil person.

#49 ·
Actually, in Florida, if a person of "authority", which could be an employee, asks you to leave their business, or private property, for any reason, you have to do so, or you could be arrested for tresspassing. The warning only has to be given once, and is in effect forever. As I understand it, if you ignore this tresspass warning, and are carrying a firearm, you could be arrested of "Armed Tresspassing", a felony.

If you are discovered to be carrying on a property that has this warning and are asked to leave, you better leave immediately or be willing to face the consequences.

You have the option of not supporting businesses that post no gun warnings, but they have the right to control thier properties.

Personally, I ignore the signs, but I understand the risk of doing so.

#50 ·
My problem is I shouldn't have to change my way of life or the services I enjoy as a free American citizen because of someone being anti-rights.
Yes, these business owners worked hard to begin and remain in business. This fact does not trump my right to self defense with the best tool at my disposal, which happens to be my sidearm. Think about what has been said by some: the owner has a right to allow who or what may happen on their premises. How about a bad person(who), who wants to hurt people(what). Yes, that is ok, but I stand firm that I should be able to stop that "who" and "what" no matter where I am unless proper security and procedures are in place such as an airport or courthouse. I think anyone here saying they know of a movie theater or shopping mall that is a hardened and secured area is telling a joke or a lie. Get real, the world is a dangerous place. We need to stack the odds in our favor instead of the dark side's favor or someone's business that just doesn't think firearms align with their moral compass. Again, people who disagree, I challenge you to have these same beliefs while you or your loved ones are at the wrong end of the muzzle being wielded by an evil person.
But you want others to change theirs for you?
The "anti rights" have the same freedoms as you & I--
Thats what American freedoms are all about-

#51 ·
My problem is I shouldn't have to change my way of life or the services I enjoy as a free American citizen because of someone being anti-rights....
Sometimes freedom comes at a cost and can be inconvenient. However you have a very progressive attitude. I assume you favor gay/lesbian rights and are pro-abortion since those folks say they don't want to change their way of life or the services they enjoy as a free American citizens because of someone being anti-rights.

.... does not trump my right to self defense with the best tool at my disposal, which happens to be my sidearm.
Nothing is trumping your legal right to self-defense when threatened, your legal right to use deadly force is still there (considering 2A says nothing about "self defense" only the government's ability to limit ownership).
I understand your point but I would feel very vulnerable if my ability to defend myself was limited to a firearm because I don't consider it the "best tool" in some situations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.