Newbie here

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by UlicniTrkac, Nov 14, 2013.

1. UlicniTrkac

UlicniTrkac New Member

Hello to everyone

I do this for a hobby - it all started with fixing and improving airguns, but now I have moved on on firearms :D

recently, I got a sandblasting cabinet, and a 12 gallon compressor, that works on 5 bar.
    I want to blast a Tok in 9mm, to have a satin finish, but I don't want to use sand - way too dirty - and I am looking to steel beads instead.
    My question is, to what size of the abrasive should I look for? Tried with soda today, no luck.

Any tips are welcome (steel beads are available to me, the rest of the abrasives isn't that easy to acquire).

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired

Have and FFL and business license ready for display.

3. orangello

orangello New Member

My nephew's FFL buddy fixed a few problems with my AMT Lightning pistol (think Ruger Mark knock-off) and put a bit of weld in the frame to fix a shoddy factory weld to salve my mind. The welding discolored the frame a bit and gave him an excuse to blast it for cosmetic reasons; they told me he used walnut shells (I wasn't there). I can't tell it was ever discolored and it shot great when I test drove it.

Make sure to preserve that serial number; Nanny Sam might get curious.

edit* This place has various media: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200336039_200336039 They have a $20 size if you just want to try it out.

Before and after pics really sell a thread. :)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  4. UlicniTrkac

UlicniTrkac New Member

Just to add, I am not from the US :D

5. orangello

orangello New Member

Oops! That could make shipping from Northern Tool a little more expensive.

I guess that explains how you got a 9mm Tok. They have become harder to find here. :(

You type English very well by the way. :D

edit* There are some Canadians and Australians and British on here, if you look around. Maybe they would know a source if you PM them.

6. UlicniTrkac

UlicniTrkac New Member

Yeah :D But thanks for the tip :D

"FFL and business license" - I hope they are not needed for me here?

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired

8. UlicniTrkac

UlicniTrkac New Member

I have found a source for glass beads, I went for 90-150 micron granulation, 25kg should arrive in a few days, I'll post the results - before and after.
    All I have to do are small jobs - this is a hobby, and I work mostly on my guns.

9. kfox75

kfox75 New Member

Believe it or not, baking soda is a good abrasive for controlled stripping of painted and coated parts. Best of all, it has almost zero impact on the envirment, and it is available in almost any general store or grocery store. Check the baking goods isle. It won't always remove heavy rust, but I have used it to strip bike tins and fenders for years without over heating the metal or banging it up to bad. Saves time in prep, and it's water soluble.

10. UlicniTrkac

UlicniTrkac New Member

I have done it today - srry didnt take pics, I'll post them tomorrow, but that sanding finish is the best I have seen on guns here. And it took me 3 hours to prep the metal, and a half an hour to blast it. Just wonderful!

11. UlicniTrkac

UlicniTrkac New Member

I am sorry I didnt attach the pics sooner, but here they are. The after part

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner

That's a cool looking Tok you got there.
    I saw that you said you were into air guns, I'm an air gunner too and I wanted to put my name out to another air gunner

RESIDENT PELLET GUN GUY