new to the ar industry

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by remington7mm, Feb 7, 2011.

1. remington7mm

remington7mm New Member

im looking to purchase an ar, however i dont know what im looking for in one of these, all i know is they are just flat out awsome. can someone recomend a decent all around ar that wont need to many mods out of the the box, and i can just shoot the **** out of?

2. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Three letters BCM or for the short answer, two letters, DD.

Bravo Company Man. makes great rifles that can take whatever you can bring then laugh at you and beg for more. The same goes for Daniel Defence. DD makes everything in house. They both make warfighter quality stuff. BCM would probably your most economical option although DD does have sales now and then.

3. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I'm not an AR expert but I can tell you a few questions that they will ask you.

What's your purpose/goal for this rifle?
    Home Defense
    Zombies (meaning SHTF kinda situation)
    Hunting
    Competition
    Plinking/target
    other?

What's your budget?

I think your going to find that most AR's you can shoot the S*** out of right out of the box but you should take some time to think about why you want it and decide what features/mods you want on your AR before you spend money on it. I'm in the process of building an AR, I bought the lower for cheap, got a 2 stage Rock River trigger and when I get the money I'm going to get a Rock River Upper already assembled. The reviews I have read from this board and others have been very positive and they are at a good price point for me.

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Blasphemy. There are no other boards. :eek:

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

rock river arms makes really nice affordable quality AR15's.

whatever AR you get i would start with a 5.56 chamber. if your choice is target shooting maybe a .223 chamber but your limiting yourself to shooting name brand commercial loads unless you make your own.

6. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Just imagine what this place would be like if the users that have been "thinned from the herd" had no place else to go! :D

I think you would resign but not before you were a bald old man before your time with shot nerves.

7. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

make sure barrel is 5.56mm, make sure you request the M4 feed ramps, and the rest is what all you want to add. oh yeah, read up on charging handles and get a good one.

8. Shihan

Shihan Lifetime Supporting Member

Check out some of our Vendors, there are some good deals on nice ARs through them.

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I fully agree with your statement. But for the members of FTF, there are no other boards. :D

10. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I guess my thoughts automaticly gravitate towards 100yds and in when someone says "shoot the **** out of it." When I think, shoot the s*** out of, I think sustained, rapid (or as rapid as your range will allow) fire.

In this case Id go non stainless ( unless used for 3gun like compitition), chrome lined, 16", middlength barrel. Add to that the lightest furniture you can find and a quality optic of your likeing backed up by a set of flip-up irons.

Like whats been stated above you need to decide your main shooting style and what you want to do w/ this AR. From there you can begin to decide on the proper AR for you.

11. remington7mm

remington7mm New Member

ok this is some good questions. i wont be using it for hunting or zombies. mostly when i get out to the rang a couple time with it lots of outdoor field shooting. let me add, it will be bump fired aswell if that has anything to do with it. i will prolly be using iron sights and wont be shooting long distances, but that will be put to the test. i also believe that spending money on a quility gun goes alot way.

12. MrMilspecer

MrMilspecer New Member

You should look at Daniel Defense. Heres a link to some decent prices RifleGear - Daniel Defense
    Buds Gun Shop also has great prices but not usually in stock. Go to DD home page and read up. As mentioned earlier also BCM is good stuff. Ya these are battle rifles but it doesnt mean you cant scope one and go hunting :) Ammo lots of ammo. Ive been shooting Herters for 3.99 a box at Cabelas. Great for practice, at least in my ARs :)

13. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

$3.99 a box.............really? .223 rounds?

14. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Why? :confused:

15. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Depending where you go you can get it for a little less.

Im going to have to look into that stuff though.

Cuz it Gangsta ;)

16. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Yeah Cabelas occasionally has Herter's .223 55gr FMJ for $3.99-$3.49. Lots of people hate it and say it's worse than Wolf but I don't have any problems with it. Too good to pass up when they have it or Tula white box on sale. I've got a couple thousand rounds of those two.

17. MrMilspecer

MrMilspecer New Member

Ya @ 3.99 for 20 Im getting 1000 shipped for $216.45. Tried 500 first to see how they function no problems so far so I ordered more. The great thing is both my Carbines eat them just fine. I read yesterday were a guy was telling a Newb do not buy a carbine gas system because they are very picky and it will only work with .556 nato ammo. I had to laugh my arss off. They are great for practice as trigger time is most important.

18. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

thanks for the info, i will have to check into that...........i mean you CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MUCH AMMO, RIGHT?

19. Quentin

Quentin New Member

This cheap stuff works great in my two midlengths too. And a buddy's carbine length gas Bushmaster.

20. MrMilspecer

MrMilspecer New Member

My carbines eat up Herters like a fat kid eats up a bag of Costco sized M&Ms. A large ammount can go fast.