New hunter here, just some general conversation

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by ghh3rd, Aug 19, 2010.

1. ghh3rd

ghh3rd New Member

Last year I picked up a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 and began casting bullets and working up loads. Figured when I could keep them in 2-3" at 50 yds I was ready.

I went out at the end of the season last winter with 310gr cast bullets over a full dose of powder, but didn't see anything. I was all at the end of the season, so I'm not surprised. The last time was in a stand from 5:45am - 8:45am at 27* (yes Florida does get cold at times). All of the water around me was frozen.

This year, I hope to have a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun in 45-70 to take along, if I can find one. This rifle has much more potential than I need for Florida critters, but I will be able to handload it accordingly. I like the idea of big fat bullets, and less chance of having to track for hours.

I still need to buy my own stand. My 13 yrd old say that he wants to go along, next time, and hopefully often, so perhaps I should get a 2-person stand, even though they are heavy.

One thing that I was wondering about - when it starts pouring rain, how do you protect your firearms.... just cover them with plastic, or what?

I can't wait to get out again, and hopefully bring some meat home.

Randy

2. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

put it under your jacket. but dont worry water wont hurt it if you clean and oil it when you get home.

3. hardrock

hardrock New Member

Take him with you. He will remember that day the rest of his life.
    Would also show him a whole new world and give him something he would pursue for a lifetime.

Start right and stress SAFETY. Both of you will be better for it.

4. RedWineKline

RedWineKline New Member

Takem with ya man, there are few better bonding experiences. I remember in my teen years, one of the only times I felt that I could learn something from dad or gramps was hunting season. otherwise I pretty much knew it all. :D

5. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

i took both my boys with me at age 11. they used a mini-14.

both got their first deer at 11.

6. Walley

Walley New Member

/

Take the kid out with you but make sure you take along a camera. The look on his face when he drops his first game will give you a picture that money will never be able to buy. I have a whole album of pictures of my kids and grandchildren on their first hunts. Last fall my 12 year-old granddaughters bagged her first pheasant and you would have thought she had won the lottery. This old man would much rather hunt with youngsters just starting out than with anyone else. Us adults have much to teach these kids and should take every opportunity that presents itself to do so.

7. montveil

montveil New Member

I cover the muzzle with finger cots (prophylactics for fingers).
    You can get a package containing an assortment of sizes at Walmart. You can shoot right through them as the air in the barrel in front of the bullet ruptures them.
    A thought about plastic-- I find it very noisy.
    Lightly oil the before going into the field and clean and oil after the days exposure as mentioned before