Firearms Talk banner

New guy, old, dead horse question.

4K views 37 replies 17 participants last post by  AustinTJer 
#1 ·
Hey guys, im looking to purchase my first hand gun and would like the expert advice of the forum members here.

Ive had my eye on a couple different guns and calibers.
-Springfield XD
-Beretta
-Sig Sauer
-Glock

-9mm

Here is the thing, im on a budget. From the gun purchase to the ammo. Thats part of the reason im considering a 9mm, cost of ammo is low... but at the same time, id like a gun with a little more umph than a 9mm.

I know im going to get a variety of answers, and please be kind, I know very little about pistols.

What is a good brand, between $300-$400, and what caliber should I aim for? This will mainly be for recreation shooting.

Thanks guys!

See less See more
#27 ·

My first pistol!

Beretta U22 Neos. 6", 2/10 rd mags. They make a pretty cool carbine rifle conversion kit for it. Lots of good reviews. The dealer owns it, says he enjoys shooting it, never had any issues with it, loves it. It was nice because it wasn't the most expensive or even middle of the road, it was relatively cheap, and the guy was still recommending it highly.

I'm excited to shoot it and get some practice.

Thank you all for your help. I'll keep you updated on how it performs.

#28 ·
Talk about an extreme grip angle!

I'm not criticizing it at all, just noticing. It looks very Neo.

Enjoy and let us know how it goes. This is definitely not a model that you could have rented.

#29 · (Edited)
A .22LR pistol is a terrific first gun. Forget first gun, it's a good training gun to have in the collection period.

Regardless of .22, 9mm, .40, .45,... the basics are mostly the same: proper grip, sight alignment, breathing, and controlled trigger squeeze. The only things a .22 can't teach is recoil control and re-acquiring the target for a follow up shot.

Also ammo costs next to nothing so you can shoot all day.

Not the most ideal self-defence caliber, but a .22 can still be very lethal at close range. The caliber was the basis for many illegal "zip guns", and Saturday Night Specials in the 50's through the 80's. Apparently .22's have also been used in the military and covert paramilitary due to its ability to be effectively suppressed with a "silencer".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Standard_HDM

Regardless I have tons o' fun plinking with my .22LR.

#31 ·

Top left: 5 meters
Top right: 9 meters
Bottom left: 13 meters
Bottom right: 15 meter

I couldnt dial in the aiming for the longer distance shots :dunno: Tried adjusting the sight up and down, but again, couldnt quite get it... As the distance increased, I had trouble focusing on the target. I did put a piece of paper over my left eye so that I could keep both eyes open, but not get the cross eyed effect... that helped alot.

That was my second target... my first was pretty inconsistent; was getting used to the gun.

I really enjoyed shooting this pistol. Obviously since it is a .22, it didnt have much kick and it was fun to shoot. I put about 500 rounds through it and only had 2 misfires, but both were on the last bullet of the mag.

#32 ·
That's some good shooting right there. That Ruger is a nice range gun and accurate. Imo, a good .22 pistol is one of the best ways to practice (and cheapest) for the larger calibers. Handling a firarm is more than 1/2 the battle. :)

#33 ·
Hell, that ain't bad shooting at all, with your new, very first pistol! :) Remember, it's not gonna have the accurate range of a rifle, but it should get ya out to 50 yds, nice groups and pretty accurately, with some routine practice.

The more ya shoot it, the better you will get with that sight and trigger/aim control, seriously! ;)

#35 ·
Targets are cheap. Consider switching out targets every now and then. You'll receive more information about your shooting when you can see individual holes. It's a bit more fun, too, than shooting through a 6" donut hole. Granted, you made the hole by shooting it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.