New AR-15 Build Range Report (Green Mountain Barrel)

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by diggsbakes, Apr 19, 2011.

1. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

OK, so I took it out yesterday. It was a little windy, but since I was the only shooter on the range, NO COMPLAINTS WHATSOEVER!!!

Here's the gun I'm referring to.
    http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/another-one-down-41398/

The gun shot 100% reliably, so much that even the 62 grain Wolf and Tula that has been rejected by some of my other ARs, cycled just fine (accuracy was non-existent, though). Recoil was very manageable.

Overall accuracy was very acceptable, but not exceptional. The following picture is the best group from 100 yards, using 62 grain, BT Fiocchi ammo.

The 1st 3 rounds were the closest bunch. (Should have made it a 3 round group ;)"it would've been sub.) The overall group size was about 2". The rest used was a front/pistol rest and a snadbag.

Using Winchester White Box 55 grain, a couple of really nice groups came out in the 2"-4" range. Wolf and Tula were mostly all on paper. . . I had fun being able to shoot rapidly with the intent of disposing of the ammo completely. Also a couple of mags that had trouble in "Scrapy" and even other's feed w/o issue in this one.

Overall, I was very impressed with the results.

This one was supposed to be "For Sale", but now I'm reconsidering. :)

Attached Files:

2. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Very nice zombie dispatcher you have there. Would be confident with you watching my six during an outbreak. :cool:

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

very nice!! was that open sights or did you use a scope??

4. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Irons, while rested. I have yet to scope an AR. I have a red-dot on one and it improves the (my) accuracy quite a bit. I can't usually get under 2", but with the red dot I've shrinked it a bit.

I have one ïn construction that will be scoped. :)

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

thats very good shooting with iron sights :)

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

*RE-F@CKING-SPECT* !!!!

Seriously?? In good wind, with light bullets, you got that group?!

Well done sir! Well Effing Done!!!

JD

7. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Thank you sir. Let me make the conditions perfectly clear or else I'm gonna feel guilty now. . .

The berms at the range are staggered in elevation. One up high at regular land height, then one about 10-15 ft lower, with the dirt from the excavation providing a wall for the next berm. I was in the only 100 yd berm that sits low and the wind was at my back, so it wasn't much of a factor.

Also the fence that retains the dirt on the far side is at 100 yds, so the stands are usually set 20 ft in, out of dirt clod avalanche area. :)

Now I can sleep tonight. . . :)

8. CA357

CA357 New Member

Good stuff diggs. :cool:

9. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

10. vjf915

vjf915 New Member

Huh? And these are in consecutive sentences too....

11. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

You outta read the whole post, einstein. :rolleyes: OVERALL accuracy was in respect to the gun. NON-EXISTANT accuracy was in respect to the Wolf and Tula ammo.

Notice you were the only one that had trouble with this. . . :confused:

12. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

That's all gun! On my other SD card I have a pic of it at 200 yds, I'll put it tomorrow.

13. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Obviously, diggs; a nice shooter!! Well Done!

14. pranc2

pranc2 New Member

very nice diggs... :D

15. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

200 yards, second day out

Here's what it shot at 200, rested. Today it will get shot again!

You gotta 90 rotate it. It was hitting low. If I get it out today I'll dial it in slightly higher than x ring (1"-2") and see if I can tighted it up.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  16. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Kudos Diggs,Sounds like your happy with it.Nice shooting.