Nervous about strikers - XD vs FN 45

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by Marthor, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Marthor

Marthor New Member

I'm learning new stuff all the time. I've never even heard about "strikers" before until recently while really researching the XD.

The XDm 45 has a very good chance to be my next purchase, but I need some convincing I guess that strikers are reliable, durable and long-lasting, etc. and as good as hammers. All my handguns have hammers and I always assumed that guns like Glock and the XD just had an internal hammer.

In reading about the Taurus strikers, it says something about a hard primer may not ignite from a striker, so their design gives a second chance at hitting the primer without slide action. What's this mean? If a striker is less power than a hammer and may not initiate the primer, I don't like that at all!

So, can you give me some warm fuzzies or preferably some hard stats and facts that can build confidence in strikers, or are they really inferior to the good ol' hammer?

This striker issue could possibly be a deal breaker when I compare the XD to the FNP45 that has all my comfortable traditional functions of DA/SA and a hammer. If you have any other points of comparision between these two like perhaps a decocker, safety comparison would be helpful too.

Thanks!

2. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

Strikers themselves aren't inherently any less reliable or durable. The main advantage of hammers is the increased control you have in regards to the firearm's ready condition.

Taurus's "second strike" thing is largely a gimmick, IMO. Nobody with any training would ever try to just pull the trigger again on an auto that didn't go bang. I think it started as an artifact of their original 24/7 and Millenium lines that were DAO (the trigger pull always cocked the striker, as opposed to the slide's motion doing it). I'd bet they just kept the DAO function and added the second sear for SA firing, and then just marketed it as an end-all solution to bad ammo.

Not hating on Taurus, of course, given I've got a loaded 24/7 OSS sitting on my desk right now :p .

3. fireguy

fireguy New Member

One of the best military firearms the US ever fielded was a striker fire.
    The Browning Automatic Rifle used this system and it was loved by a couple of generations of soldiers.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

im a hardcore 1911 guy. i just picked up my new xdm 45. i settled on it mainly because the wife wanted a xdm 9mm for oc/ccw and i wanted a matching type she could use in a pinch.

we looked at the fnh but lots of reports i found with the fnh being ammo sensitive ruled it out along with the difficulty the wife and i had with all the ambi controls and how hard it was to operate. we didnt like the safety system. we both came to the conclusion the fnh was a no-go because it tried to do too much and cover all bases.

the reason for light strikes with striker guns is often the way you lighten the pull is to reduce the striker spring power. that leads to light strikes. the stock xdm will function just fine. its all striker style gun issue. personally i wouldnt try a trigger lightening on a striker gun that will be used for SD. shortening the pull and reset is one thing but messing with the poundage leads to light strikes.

i too think the restrike of the taurus is nothing but a gimmick. if the round doesnt go cycle the slide check the bore in case of lodged round and get a fresh one.

we settled on the xdm because of the grip safety and ease of use for the wife. no need to worry about the hammer or decocking a da/sa or swiping a safety off for her. for me its second nature im comfortable with any semi auto style. i can definately understand why striker guns are popular now that ive done some real research and gave the xdm a real try. my main issues with glock and M&P is there isnt a real safety device on them. i dont consider the trigger safety a safety. the xdm solves that for me by way of a grip safety. somehing getting caught in the trigger guard the gun wont go off like a glock or m&p will.

if my 1911 is in hand the safety is off leading to the same condition the xdm will be in while in hand. i feel comfy with the xdm its got a decent combat grade trigger and feels safe while in its holster.

5. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

The main advantage a hammer fired firearm like the 1911 or BHP is that you have a visual saftey of whether or not the hammer is cocked and ready to fire, and you also can manually cock or lower the hammer. Now many striker fired firearms do have visual safties like the cocking indicator and the trigger staying back in the uncocked position. I like both the striker and hammer fired firearms, and to paraphrase a friend of mine; the striker fired mechanism is reminiscent of a double action revolver. What he means by this is the trigger pull is similar to a double action, because you're finishing cocking the striker mechanism while you pull the trigger just like a double action cocks the hammer, and also that the trigger is more predictable regarding knowing where it will break, how it will break, and so on.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

the xdm has a visual indicator on the rear whether it is cocked or not. when its cocked unlike some other striker designs its fully cocked the trigger just releases the striker spring. thats why the xdm has a consistant pull short reset and predictable trigger break. i would describe it as a single action style more than anything else.

7. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

That's very true about the XD(m). I agree that the XD(m)'s trigger is more like a single action, but something like a Ruger SR, Kahr, and even Glock are more like a double action in my opinion.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

true. thats a major reason i dont like them. too much like dao guns. i dont like dao guns its why ill never use a revolver for a SD firearm.

9. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I wouldn't prefer to use a revolver for self defence, but if I had to I would be comfortable with the double action pull. For me whether or not I like a striker fired firearm all depends on where the trigger breaks, how it breaks, and a few other things.

10. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Unless you are holding a revolver the firing mechanism in your gun is technically a striker, the hammer on a semi-auto never makes direct contact with the primer. Only difference is whether the spring force causes the hammer to impact the striking mechanism or whether the spring tensions the striking mechanism directly.

11. Marthor

Marthor New Member

I've got a couple questions from the discussion...

1) If the Taurus is the only one that does a full double action so you could strike the primer twice, and the XD is always cocked so the trigger pull is always like SA, then how does the Glock work different than either of those?

2) I looked at the XD specs to see what the drawings looked like. It's got a spring inside the striker that will give it force. My question is, since springs will lose power by remaining compressed, won't the "always cocked" wear it out quicker? I know hammer guns will last for many decades, but will the pistol striker last for decades without getting too weak and needing to replace the striker spring?

Thanks =)

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

Glocks are partially cocked thats why thetriggers on em feel like dragging your finger through oatmeal. They are half way between da and sa.

Springs dont lose strength by sitting in a compressed state. Springs wear only through the actual compression cycle itself. So like any other handgun a complete spring overhaul every couple thousand rounds is all it needs.

Personally i change springs in any of my handguns every 2500 rounds or if the recoil spring shows signs of weakness whichever comes first.

13. Marthor

Marthor New Member

I've made my purchase decision.
    I contacted a dealer I've bought from before about bringing an XDm 45 to the gunshow next weekend. His price is $585.

So, in 8 days, I'll be a new XDm 45 owner! :D

14. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Looking forward to some pics and a range report ;).

15. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

^This

When you think of a striker, think of a firing pin with a small protrusion on the bottom. That protrusion is what catches on the sear in place of the hammer, and the spring is behind the striker instead of in front, like it is with firing pins. I don't know why anyone changed the name of it. In my opinion, it's still a firing pin, it just has a different operating system.

I've had 4 different striker fired guns, an XD, and XDm and 2 glocks. I've never had any sort of malfunction with any of the 4 pistols, and would wholeheartedly recommend any of them.

As others have said, the whole Taurus double-strike thing is a gimmick. I tend to not pay much attention to anything that Taurus does or says. Just my opinion.

-Fred

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

congrats on your choice. im going to go shoot my new xdm 45 for the first time in just a bit from now.

more food for thought:

striker systems have been around forever longer than hammer systems. every bolt rifle ever made pretty much is a striker system...

17. Marthor

Marthor New Member

Another question about the stiker indicator...
    When the striker is cocked, it has the little tit pop out to let you visually see it.

If you press on it, is it rigid or is it springy? If it's rigid, it would make me wonder what would happen if it was struck.

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

that little nub that sticks out is actually the end of the striker

its pretty stiff i cant press it in. there is a firing pin block that prevents the striker from hitting the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled. you can smack with a sledge hammer and its not gonna go off.

my series 70 colt 1911 has no firing pin safety at all. i dropped it from chest height by accident last year landed on concrete and didnt go off. it takes a lot more that a simple drop to set one off. if the hammer had of been down on the loaded chamber it MIGHT have gone off. im of the opinion firing pin safeties arent needed.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  19. Marthor

Marthor New Member

Are you sure about that? A sledge hammer might be enough force to break it off the lip of metal holding the stricker back?

The scenario is dropping the loaded gun perhaps onto a rock so that all the force is on the indicator sticking out.

The trigger safety keeps the trigger from being pulled. Is the other mechanism like the grip safety engaging the striker?

20. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

There is the trigger saftey, grip saftey, and a firing pin block. When the trigger is pulled the mechanism raises the firing pin block that allows the firing pin to move forward. So unless the two saftey mechanism on the outside of the firearm are depressed and then the trigger is pulled it should not be able to fire.