My New Mil-Surp....

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by Trez, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Trez

Trez New Member

... Isnt a M1 :rolleyes:
    Ive been wanting a Arisaka for sometime now, and a buddy told of some at a local shop. The guy had several arisakas, a variant of a type 38 and some type 99's. The one I picked was a type 99, and I think its a "pre-last ditch" as it has the anti-aircraft sights, and monopod mount. The guy was telling me it was a G.I bring back, and has a "duffel cut" in the stock. Whoever did it did a good job and the stock still is very sturdy. It still has the "mum" on it and has all matching #'s. The Sn# is417xx, can anyone date?

The firing pin is broken but ive read its an easy fix, can any of the gunsmiths here fix it.. i would like to keep the original over buying a replacement... (I may even consider becoming a full member of the forum, if i was done right... ;) )
    Im missing the long buttplate screw and the rear most screw for the stock anyone have these?

Heres some pics...

Attached Files:

2. Trez

Trez New Member

Arisaka Pics..

Heres more pics....

Attached Files:

3. CA357

CA357 New Member

Congratulations. :cool:

4. m72law

m72law New Member

very nice 99...& it still has the mum:)
    is it chambered for 7.7 jap rd.?
    my father-n-law has one just like this one,was a vet bring back from his father...the rifle is very accurate,i've heard that the Arisaka's actions are one of the strongest made...great find Trez

5. Trez

Trez New Member

I just bought a firing pin... Anybody know where i could find some 7.7x58 Ammo? Everywhere I look is outta stock..

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  6. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Grats on finding such a nice Mod. 99. This may not be what you wanted but MidwayUSA.com has everything you would need to load your own 7.7 if you are set up for that. I also found some on the auction sites such as auctionarms.com etc.

Nice thing about the Arisaka rifles is that even the "last ditch" models had superior metalergy. Their recievers are basically "bullet proof" pardon the pun..

7. Trez

Trez New Member

Looks like ill have to backorder some.... I found loaded soft-point for $25 for a box of 20, But just the brass alone is $28 for 20?? WTF??? How can just the brass be more than fully loaded ammo???!!! :confused:

I hope I can shoot this thing in time for my B-day...... :(

8. cuate

cuate New Member

I think you will like the "Kyu-jyu-kyu shiki" (Model 99) Rifle. I had one like yours, shot it some, reloaded for it...Like a dummy I traded it off for something else, likewise the reloading dies...

Mine was accurate, kicked like a bay mule, and I have read that those actions were very strong. Operating the safety with the palm of my hand was
    neat...

Oh, the Japanese word for rifle is Teppo...

9. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

One word: "NORMA" Norma brass is ALWAYS expensive. You might also try these folks: buffalowarms.com May also have what you are looking for .. Sometimes it just works out that the guns we love end up becoming high maint.:p Generally not the case with milsurps unless you are wanting to shoot relatively odd ball calibers like the 7.7 x 58 Jap. and the 6.5 Jap.

10. m72law

m72law New Member

do you reload any trez?...if so...you can use 3006 brass by resizing it to 7.7 jap specs.,trim,then use pulled, bought 303brit bullets (.313) or the cheaper & plentiful 7.62x54 bullets (.311),depending on how nice & tight your bore/barrel is,might could use (.308) .30cal bullets?...just slug your barrel & see how tight she is;)...or checkout out gunbroker.com,i have seen a few people selling 7.7 jap surplus for as low as 10cent a rd.,shipping not included:(happy hunting!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  11. Trez

Trez New Member

Can anyone help me date this? The series mark doesnt look like the ones online... from what i can tell its a pre-last ditch type 99 from Nagoya arsenal. What ive looked up says it woulda been made between 1937-1942. Any help??? :confused:

12. AlwaysAardvarks

AlwaysAardvarks New Member