My new hunting rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Cade, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Cade

Cade New Member

Quit some time ago I got the idea of building a .308 shooter. I have a CZ 550 heavy in this caliber for long range shooting and prairie dogs up to 500 yards. (Cross hairs pretty much cover the dogs at that yardage)
    I got a friend that is real competent when it comes to working on rifles and with his advice I started gathering what I needed.
    I picked up a FN 98 large ring Belgium made action. Replaced the safety and trigger a with a Dakota Safety and a Dayton Traister fully adjustable single stage trigger.To this I added a Shilen made Chrome Molly medium weight fitted barrel with a 1-10 twist and cut to 22". I then got a factory 98 stock which had to be re-shaped to a nice looking stock and added a Ebony foreend to it for looks along with a nice steel grip cap to give it some appeal. (none of the plastic stuff) and a whole lot of oil hand rubbing for a nice sheen look and glsass bedded to fit the barrell. Added a kick-ezz recoil pad. The whole rifle was then sent to a gunsmith up the road where he did a nice bead-blast and a custom matt finish blueing. To top it off I got a set to Leupold bases and 30mm rings and mounted a 2.5-10x44 w/BDC Vortex Vipor HS scope on top. Bore sighted it and took it to the range to run a box of shells thru it. It shoots nice with the Federal Premium168 grain Sierra Matchking BTHP which is what I shoot in the CZ. Will be a dandy shooter for hunting. I suppose I'm bragging here but I like the way it turned out and thought I would share it with you folks
    enjoy

Attached Files:

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member

CADE!

Great Job! I like that rifle and the accesories! Once again Great Job!

3. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member

Well done! Great to have the ability to accomplish such a feat!

4. 25-5

25-5 New Member

That is really nice. You can take pride for your work.
    Now all you need is some blood on it. :)

5. TLuker

TLuker New Member

You are bragging and with how great that rifle turned out you should be! Really nice rifle! :cool:

6. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Off topic did you figure out the 5.45 round head stamp?

7. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Very nice rifle you built.
    That would make anyone happy to brag about.

8. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

That's a beautiful rifle you built,well done! :)

9. JimRau

JimRau Active Member

Good job. But for me the bolt is on the wrong side!:D
    Good hunting! Have fun.:):cool: