My first AR build: Magpul Zombie Hunter

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by AKCoastie89, Jul 23, 2010.

1. AKCoastie89

AKCoastie89 New Member

Rock River lower w/ 2-stage trigger
    Bushmaster Patrolman 16" upper
    Yankee Hill flip-up front and rear sights
    Magpul CTR stock
    Magpul MOE handguard w/MVG foregrip
    Magpul MIAD grip/trigger guard
    Magpul ASAP sling mount
    Bushnell MP red dot sight

This thing's been a work in progress for almost a year now.
    Before all you old skool anti-"black gun" types cast the first stone, I'm not going to BS myself and say I can use it for hunting or home defense or whatever... I just wanted a gun that was cool, lightweight and fun to shoot.
    Initial range report was consistent 4-4.5" groups at 100yds with 5 rounds. I know this sounds unimpressive, but the MP is only capable of 3MOA, so I'm satisfied with that for now. I'm sure it will improve with practice.
    I'm open to feedback, so fire away!!

Attached Files:

• 014.JPG
      014.JPG
      File size:
      90.7 KB
      Views:
    • 016.JPG
      016.JPG
      File size:
      78.1 KB
      Views:
    • 022.jpg
      022.jpg
      File size:
      95.1 KB
      Views:
    • 020.JPG
      020.JPG
      File size:
      93.2 KB
      Views:
  2. TheDaggle

TheDaggle New Member

Well, coastie, that's just plain ol' purdy, now isn't it?

How's that scope? The price is right, but that raises questions for an ACOG clone...

3. AKCoastie89

AKCoastie89 New Member

It's only a 1x red/green dot, but it works perfect for an AR.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Very nice SUR you got there. 4 - 4.5" groups at 100 yds does not sound right though, you should be able to get sub 3" all day long. Were you shooting off hand or from a rest? Have you shot it with the BUIS. What grain ammo are you shooting, what's the barrel twist rate?

5. AKCoastie89

AKCoastie89 New Member

I was shooting with the mag resting on the bench. The barrel's a 1:9" twist and i was using 40gr Remax ballistic tip factory ammo.

6. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Just a hunch but next time out try a slightly heavier bullet, 55gr or 62gr. A 1:9 might be borderline for using a 40gr load, especially with a 16" barrel. The ballistic tip may keep the round from vaporizing from the overspinning but accuracy may be suffering. A sandbag or a range bag will also provide a more stable rest than the mag. Have fun...

7. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member

Good looking weapon you've put together there. You won't find to many black rifle bashers here. In fact, the longer you stay, the more you'll find you have to have one. I'm proof of that.

8. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet?

+1. I just finished mine a couple weeks ago. Although Spitty's build is a tad bit more involved than the one I did.

Good looking stick though. Keep on plinkin :)

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I don't think we have "those types" running around here. The guys with the AR's, and even the guys with the AK's, pretty much appreciate a nice weapon, which you definitely have.

I would like to say, well done!

Is your fore-end free floated? 3 MOA seems a bit large in grouping from what I have come to expect from a 16" barreled AR.

I would love to consult as you move forward dressing this beauty out for accuracy. :p

JD

10. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Quoted for Truth!!

JD

11. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Good looking rifle.

12. AKCoastie89

AKCoastie89 New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I know the rifle's capable of sub-MOA accuracy, I was referring to the sight. Also, as far as the bullet weight issue, I still have plenty of 55gr FMJ I'm sure I can put to good use.

13. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Have you tried moving the forward grip further forward on your rail? I used to be a big user of the magwell until someone suggested using a stubby grip. That helped steady the rifle a lot. Then I tried a AFG at the furthest forward position. It makes for a very goog control and a steady rifle.

14. russ

russ New Member

Nice looking AR you have there. How do you like the MVG grip? I'm waiting for the RVG to be released in flat dark earth to finish my latest build.

15. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

;) a bit...

Yep, there aren't any black-rifle bashers here that I've seen. In fact, any reference to "assault" is pretty much shouted down. I just finished my own build and I'm 6 days from my 1st range trip. I'll be just using iron sights, but I can't wait.

Congrats on your new family member. Keep up the good fight and welcome to FTF! I must have missed your intro thread.

16. AKCoastie89

AKCoastie89 New Member

I put the MVG toward the rear so I can still use the flat part of the handguard for more accurate long shots. From my experience, generally the further back the grip is, the easier the rifle can be maneuvered in close quarters, but you'll be sacrificing accuracy at long range while using the grip.

17. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I was taught to use the magwell will in the infantry but have since changed to a grip further forward on the handguard using an AFG or stubby VG as a handstop. Ive found that when using proper form this style gives me added mobility and quicker more accurate follow-up shots from distances near and far. It also makes my ARs feel lighter/more balanced.