My computer was hit by a Trojan

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by danf_fl, Feb 2, 2013.

1. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired

The trojan "took" over any search engine I tried to use.

Bing or google kept taking me to another search engine.

It didn't matter if I used IE9, or Google Chrome.

The only way I could get rid of it was to halt my AVG software and run Rogue Killer.

I have AVG-Free, and use CCleaner and Malwarebytes regularly.

Just a heads up.

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Ah sh!t. I use the same security. I use Firefox for a search engine. I find it is more secure.

3. rangerXLT91_05

rangerXLT91_05 New Member

AVG isn't really that good anymore, what I use is Avast! which works real well. It's a bit proactive too, if it detects anything potentially harmful on a site it'll block the site and warn you before you can enter. I also use google chrome but some people have various experiences with it, though I love the way it works. Just a heads up IE is known to be very insecure, since it's so common people have found numerous ways to tamper with it.

4. dango

dango Lifetime Supporting Member

Some how , that sounds perverted........! :eek:

5. Rick1967

Rick1967 Active Member

I use Mcafee. I got the same virus. They charged me another $89.00 to remove it remotely. I will be switching to Norton 360 when my subscription runs out. I felt that they should have removed it for free becuase I bought their software. They refused to fix it wthout being paid. I will never give them another dime.

6. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Really. At least it used a condom.

But seriously, my computer was hit by a virus only once many years ago. I think my kids had to unload and reload everything. It was a terrible pain in the butt if I remember right.

7. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

I hate Mcafee, installed their software on my comp once...it corrupted the data on my HD so badly I had to reformat the bloody thing just to get the comp working again. Since then I have stayed the heck away from them.

8. Renegade44

Renegade44 New Member

Mcaffee attaches itself to other files and slows your computer down. I have used Norton for the last 3 years with no issues.

9. dango

dango Lifetime Supporting Member

I HATE "Mcaffee" ! :mad:

10. AR10

AR10 New Member

In the 1890's, a gang in Chicago would ask you if you wanted Glass insurance, if you were a store keeper. The store keepers would say no, and during the night, all the glass would be broken out, and that keep up, every night, until the store keepers signed up for the insurance. Those gangs, today run the insurance companies we all pay into. True story.

Computer virus protection is the same scam. The bugs are built by them, so we buy their protection.

11. partdeux

partdeux New Member

Microsoft's version is free, and no worse than the scam norton, or Mcafee

12. Robert121571

Robert121571 New Member

I stick with Avast. It is free and doesn't junk up a system like norton and macaffie. AVG isn't up to par anymore I've cleand up to many computers for friends that had AVG and got bit.

13. SmallCaliberGuy

SmallCaliberGuy New Member

I've had all the big name antivirus programs. Everyone of them let me down.
    Someone in the know told me to download Microsoft Security Essentials. I did, and haven't had a problem since.

And it's free!!

14. locutus

locutus New Member

So, was this a "lubricated" Trojan or a plain one?? Did it come in a three pack or a dozen???:p:p

15. rangerXLT91_05

rangerXLT91_05 New Member

Yeah I highly suggest Avast! as I have used it for years and it always does a great job. I would avoid McAfee and Norton, too many people have issues with them and they are the first things to be removed from my new pc's when I get them. Plus, Avast! is free, though if you really prefer to upgrade there is a version you can buy. Though, my outfit has never required an upgrade.

16. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American

I got the same thing here and the only thing that removed it was roguekiller

17. NotMormon

NotMormon New Member

I have a bad mental picture of something sticking to your puter screen:eek:

Never had a problem with malware.

18. primer1

primer1 New Member

Alright, I'm confused. I thought trojans prevented a virus. :0

19. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

I does as long as it doesn't have a hole in it :p

20. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

I've had free Norton Security Suite through Comcast for a few years now and have had no issues. Hated Norton many years ago as it was a complete system pig, but they seem to have made it much more efficient and slimmer. McAfee has tanked.

My company also recommends SuperAntiSpyWare over or in addition to MalwareBytes. MB missed a trojan on my laptop once and SASW picked it up right away. I guess there's nothing perfect.