Firearms Talk banner

Multiple Impact Bullet

3K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  5kwkdw3 
#1 · (Edited)
These bullets create a fourteen inch spread from a .45 acp and twenty-four inches from a 12 gauge. I like the idea of having a finite spread from shot shells, but I prefer handguns to be more accurate. It is interesting.
http://www.mibullet.com/index.html

12 gauge shells are $6 a round! :eek:
.45 cartridges are $10 a round! :eek: :eek:

#4 ·
Yet another answer in search of a question. Each lightweight projectile lacks sufficient mass to cause incapacitating wounds. The "hit" probability is even better with #8 shot, it just does not carry enough energy at range to stop the target.

#7 ·
why would you go to this less than effective round in a shotgun?? use OOBuck. its a proven manstopper.

in a pistol this is frangible ammunition. do NOT use frangibles for defense

#8 ·
Three wires, three weights on the end of the wire. Average MV and rate of twist for a 1911, that is spinning at just over 38,000 rpm.

Gee, that has got to be putting a bit of strain on that connecting cord when that bullet segment hits the end of the cord. No rebound, huh?

Wonder what happens if one of the 3 segments decides to snap the cord and keep going thataway? Say, the CH47 helicopter uses 3 blade rotors- and we even have some helicopter drivers here on FTF.

Hey- fling-wing drivers! What happens if a Chinook sheds one rotor blade in flight? :rolleyes::eek::p

#9 · (Edited)
BOY I AM IMPRESSED!:rolleyes:

The ballistics would have to suck and penetration through leather or thick clothing??????????? And what about the section of the round or rounds in the video that does not hit the target? What about Aunt Maudie next door!
Oh well I know most of us will run right out and get some of these! :p
More crap someone is trying to make a buck with! *Miniature Bolos!:D03

#10 ·
Wow, seams like a super fast way to reduce already underpowered hand guns even more, so if a 115grn 9mm pushing 1300 fps packing roughly 400lbs of energy that must mean that round packs 3 projectiles (124 grn total, I am being generous) with a divided weight or (roughly) 41 grns per perjectile moving 1200 fps ( again I am being generous) packs X amount of energy, I am no scientist so can someone tell me how much energy a almost flat thin 41 grn projectile packs?

#12 ·
I tend to think in terms like this; I would not purchase "exotic" ammo to use for self defense. If, God forbid, I ever had to shoot someone I would not like to give the potential prosecutor "ammunition" to depict me as some kind of evil sadist. I load what the local police load for a reason.

#14 ·
357 double ball loads have been available for a very long time. 3 to 5 000 buck at 70 grains each in a 410 looks more impressive.

#16 ·
Yet another answer in search of a question. Each lightweight projectile lacks sufficient mass to cause incapacitating wounds. The "hit" probability is even better with #8 shot, it just does not carry enough energy at range to stop the target.
But... It looks soooo cool hitting paper! :D

The sad part is that it will still sell... It's got that "gimmick" angle so these guys will cash in.

#18 ·
357 double ball loads have been available for a very long time. 3 to 5 000 buck at 70 grains each in a 410 looks more impressive.
Yeah, and probably about 20 times as effective. I can fit 2 or 3 balls of buck in a .357 case and a light powder charge. And it would probably even penetrate! I have some stubby 145 gr. .458 bullets that I have been meaning to try tripled up in a 45-70.

131 ft lbs. About in the .22 LR category.

Hey! Maybe that's it! Everyone always talks about what a DEADLY round the .22 LR is.....

:p:rolleyes:;)
About as deadly, if you could somehow flatten out the bullet, and make it hit sideways....

I think I would trust a shotgun loaded with rock salt more!

#19 ·
If the ammo doesn't have LE in the product number I am probably not interested. I want ammo that is going to stop a bad guy, not provide temporary entertainment to the goblin as burns the village and rapes the women.

#20 ·
Yeah, and probably about 20 times as effective. I can fit 2 or 3 balls of buck in a .357 case and a light powder charge. And it would probably even penetrate! I have some stubby 145 gr. .458 bullets that I have been meaning to try tripled up in a 45-70.

About as deadly, if you could somehow flatten out the bullet, and make it hit sideways....

I think I would trust a shotgun loaded with rock salt more!
Someone gave me some of the double ball 357 loads and they were marked LE. There is nothing light about the 357 load. The balls will hit about 1" apart with the 2nd ball being higher and slightly right. Velocity will depend on barrel length but it is not a light load. I will stick with the 125 or 158 grain loads though.

#21 ·
Someone gave me some of the double ball 357 loads and they were marked LE. There is nothing light about the 357 load. The balls will hit about 1" apart with the 2nd ball being higher and slightly right. Velocity will depend on barrel length but it is not a light load. I will stick with the 125 or 158 grain loads though.
Mine are experimental handloads. There is considerably less case volume with the round balls in the case. So as not to run into high pressures, I kept them with a small charge to start.

#22 ·
131 ft lbs. About in the .22 LR category.

Hey! Maybe that's it! Everyone always talks about what a DEADLY round the .22 LR is.....

:p:rolleyes:;)
Another reason the 22 LR is deadly is most 22 LR firearms are accurate. I don't see how two balls on a chain are considered accurate. We got past this ball and chain issue in the middle ages.

#23 · (Edited)
The idea for this is that you are more likely to ht a target with the 14" spread of four projectiles. However, penetration is as important as accuracy for the round to stop the perpetrator. Therefore, as Deathkricket pointed out, the reduced weight of each fragment would reduce penetration and therefore effectiveness. Also, no one has addressed the wire during terminal ballistics. Unlike Hollywood, the wire would probably not cut through clothing, more likely choosing to break or possibly drag the other fragments into a wound made by the first fragment to penetrate. The spread of 14" is much farther apart than any group I've shot at 25 or 50 yards, and this includes shotgun rounds. A 14" spread of a three-shot .45 group would be considered a failure in a standard self-defense course, so why would we consider a round spreading this far a success?

The answer to an unasked question is a good classification of this round, Robocop. Stay away from this for self defense. Only purchase if you want the novelty of shooting paper targets and watching them get wire-sliced to death in one blow.

#24 ·
I guess I'm the odd man out here, but I do think there are merits of this round that folks may be missing. First off, NO it is not an end all beat all round to do service for everything else out there and second: It's a compromise as are many a thing. Guarantee a hit at the expense of a wider than single bullet would provide. Yet for a woman or man that chooses to not practice a bunch and can only hit the barn if they're in it and the doors are closed, it may have some use. Think, why do most "experts" in the field suggest a shotgun for home defense? It's because it is much easier to hit something than with a single bullet and hit nothing at all. Same mentality as having an auto with a seventeen round magazine partnered with two spare magazines instead of a more powerful revolver round, but only have six from the start.

I currently own a Rossi Circuit Judge in 45/410 for the house. Now do I load it with birdshot? No. With slugs? Again No. It's loaded with Winchester's three inch magnum PDX rounds that have four bore sized pellets or disks and a stack of three BB's in-between each solid pellet or disk. That makes for 13 pieces of lead coming out the end of the barrel in a fairly tight pattern. But again that's in house distances. Move it out further (and I probably should be running instead of shooting) and the spread gets awful. I'm currently working on a lengthened 45LC round that takes the entire cylinder length into account (Living in California and all). When the rolled crimp opens up, the empty case is just a hair away from the end of the cylinder and out of the muzzle comes three disks and two frangible cookies that divide in air and certainly if they contact anything, into multiple pieces. Not the Winchester load and I don't use any strings either.

But just as the original "chain shot or bolo rounds" of history's past, they all had a purpose. Originally it was to damage or sever the masts and rigging of the opposing ship and I imagine that it did so quite effectively? So these rounds might not be your cup of tea, but I see that they could quite possibly fill a niche that other rounds could not. Give a novice a shotgun and have them shoot at a man sized target and make sure to tell them to get all of the pellets into the target and have no misses? It cannot be done. Yet with these rounds it can be done as seen in the various video's. Now it may be just the one third that hits the primary target, but the other two are stopped in flight so no further damage can be done to bystanders. This reminds me of my former department.

We had used the Mini-14 and Smith and Wesson model 67 for the academy to protect a Nuclear Power Plant. Then some operators thought, what about errant rounds? Wouldn't they pose a risk to all of our piping and equipment? So it was decided that the .223 had to stay out of the plant. Go ahead and shoot bad guys in the bushes, but just not inside the building. Our department didn't like that idea so something had to be done with the inside of the building.

Doing business with the NRC is a funny proposition indeed. You see, it's the plant and its employees that make up the rules that the NRC make us follow. Weird I know. Well the range-master said that the force's employees could hit a man sized target at fifteen yards keeping half of the payload inside the target itself. So easy, you have a load with 12 pellets in it, there had better be 6 holes in the paper bad guy. Well No one passed the first time through. The second time through only a few passed. And finally after the third time through a few more passed, but there was still over half the force that could not produce the results that were now carved in stone with the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. This was after cases of ammunition and two weeks of solid training with not only the weapon (Remington 870), but the ammunition as well (Winchester 2.5" double ought buck with 12 pellets I think?). With still a majority of the officers unable to meet the qualifications, the range-master and upper bosses changed the requirements to allow only three hits from twelve to pass. Oh yeah if you can spread the BS you are sometimes allowed to change the rules mid-stream and that is what was done. Smithy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.