Mossberg 500 problems

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by BigRedUSMC, May 20, 2013.

1. BigRedUSMC

BigRedUSMC New Member

So I was checking my shotgun out yesterday and I was doing a functions check...major problems. It'll pump but when I take the safety off I can't pull the trigger. There is no click, no movement in the trigger at all and the hammer doesn't fall. I have no idea what's wrong. I only shot it once and I'm pretty pissed. Any help? Thanks guys

2. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Only ideas I have is to take it to a qualified gunsmith, or call Mossberg customer service.

3. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

I have a Mossberg 590A1 that has two safety devices on it. Maybe the one near the trigger guard isn't activated. :confused:

4. BigRedUSMC

BigRedUSMC New Member

It's just the one safety but I feel like something in it is not working properly

5. bobski

bobski Vendor

navy here...

drop your trigger and look for a stray pellet in the sear or works.

6. BigRedUSMC

BigRedUSMC New Member

Thanks
    Will do

7. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

BigRed;
    I'm trying to visualize whirled peas.

No, the thumb safety. Now, I know some people take the safety apart and reintall it wrong, so much so Mossberg has a oneway screw there and onlt sells replacement parts to "gunsmiths." Could be the issue that someone bubba'd it. Also, the mechanism simply blocks a bar in the trigger assembly that in the forward position precludes firing. After disassembly you'll see this at the back of the trigger assembly. If someone bent this by putting on an aftermarket stock incorrectly they'd have had to put alot of pressure on the too-long stock screw. Just thinking that a too-long stock screw in it now could impinge in the trigger assembly safety bar and prevent it from moving at all.

Is it the original stock? If it was removed was it replaced with all it's parts like washers!?

8. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

Is your gun new or used and have there been any changes made? What HockaLouis posted above with happen in a second. I put a GG&G sling mount between my stock and receiver with a new bolt and rendered my 500 inoperable. If it's nothing like that then you can remove the trigger by drifting out the pin that sits at the bottom rear of the receiver and tilting it out from the back. There are two more or less flat bars in slots in the receiver take note of which goes where because they will probably fall out as you work, they just slide back in.

9. BigRedUSMC

BigRedUSMC New Member

I did put an ATI stock on it
    You had my interest but now you have my attention. Dumb it down marine corps style lol

10. bobski

bobski Vendor

ah haaaa!
    the plot thickens!
    the classic backyard mechanic mod1 mk2 will do it everytime.

11. BigRedUSMC

BigRedUSMC New Member

So how do I fix this and what did I do wrong?!

12. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Ok, we probably know the root cause. That was the hard part and HockaLouis' done his bit. However...

What you need to determine now is what is fouling up the function.

Can u determine how far in the stock screw (bolt) is going in compared to when you had the OEM stock on? As a test you might even start backing out the aftermarket stock screw a couple of turns at a time and see if and when the action seems to start functioning again. That would be useful info. I suspect the most likely cause is that an effectively too-long stock screw (bolt) has passed farther into the receiver than it should (the hole goes right through) and is impinging the safety locking mechanism on the trigger assembly the safety button usually engages to prevent firing.

Was the stock screw hard to turn at the end? Did you force it to make the stock tight by any chance!?

Note: the receiver is aluminum so it is not the kind of thing you want to use excessive force on to attach a stock or even keep screwing and unscrewing. Lube it.

13. akers06

akers06 New Member

Sale it and buy a benelli or Winchester...problem solved

14. readygirl

readygirl New Member

Then he would have all kinds of other problems. Action that binds up, FTE/FTF, barrels coming loose,etc. Just need to properly install the stock, and that Mosseberg will be a reliable, lifelong friend. No fruity foreign stuff you gotta explain to your friends....:)

15. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

And Bingo was his name-oh! :)

That is my bet. I call.

16. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Just like in Motorcycles, cars, and guns, they generally work great until the owner modifies something. Then its the manufactures fault! ;)

17. BigRedUSMC

BigRedUSMC New Member

I'm gonna give it a try here in the next few days so ill be updating as I go along if y'all are interested on what I find. Just let me know

18. BigRedUSMC

BigRedUSMC New Member

The reason it'll be a few days is that I live on a military base and firearms aren't allowed (stupid right) so my shotgun is at a friends house. I have a 24 hour duty today and ill be tired as hell the next so ill take a look at it as soon as I can

19. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

No prob. Look forward to hearing how it goes. Hey, maybe they'll let the 500 on base now -- tell them you did something to your private "weapon' so it'll never work and they should be so impressed they'll give you a waiver.
    ;)

20. BigRedUSMC

BigRedUSMC New Member

Knowing the logic here