Mosin 91/33 ???

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by MoreAltitude, Jul 26, 2014.

1. MoreAltitude

MoreAltitude New Member

I need info on this guy. Got to work
    this morn and was asked if I was interested from a customer. I know NOTHING about Mosin's (beyond what I see here and there on this forum) but would would join the club if the renowned cheap Mosin price is right. I've yet to look at it but have a guy who will go get it for me to inspect if I want. So basically just a general ballpark idea based on pics he shared with me ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1406381178.007170.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1406381187.286047.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1406381197.166791.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1406381203.511295.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1406381213.721978.jpg Thanks guys and gals...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  2. jakebrake

jakebrake New Member

ok...mosins are usually dirt cheap, and a lot of fun to shoot. the ammo is corrosive, so be aware you'll need to bring something to the range to flush out the barrel before you get home to do a right proper cleaning.

how much is the guy asking?

3. MoreAltitude

MoreAltitude New Member

He had no idea and neither do I. Honestly I'm not even interested unless it's a steal. He got it in trade and doesn't even like guns.

4. jakebrake

jakebrake New Member

6 years ago, you bought them for 70 bucks at a gun show.

now, I see them for about 160 at a gun show.

ammo comes in 440 round ham cans for about 65 bucks. it's the closest you'll get to a legalized flamethrower.

that $160 91/30 will have a bayonet... clean off the 12 pounds of cosmoline before you joke about shooting it.

5. 303tom

303tom New Member

6. MoreAltitude

MoreAltitude New Member

Hey thanks all, much appreciated! That's why I love this forum. If she looks good I think I'll offer $100 for a laugh...

7. jakebrake

jakebrake New Member

the biggest thing about them, they are fun.

8. Mercator

Mercator New Member

I would estimate this rifle at about $150. I didn't quite get it if you were buying for resale. If so, the margin looks about right. With an early Soviet octagonal receiver and the Tula factory roll mark (the original Mosin manufacturer), depending on the bore condition and other stuff you can't tell by a photo - may be up to $200.

9. MoreAltitude

MoreAltitude New Member

Liking it better now. And I'm not looking for resale (wasn't even looking at all honestly), everyone says you gotta have a Mosin at some point though, figured it might be chance to hear what all the fuss is about, but impulse buying ain't my thang. Once again thx guys!

10. Mercator

Mercator New Member

For yourself #1 by far is the bore condition. Don't trust the bolt cycling or the wood condition. A Mosin is worth only as much as it's barrel.

11. jakebrake

jakebrake New Member

^^^agree! make sure it's shiny, and the rifling looks crisp.

dammit! now I want another mosin.

12. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Stuff you should know...

Perhaps this will help clear things up for you:

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinHumor.htm

13. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

As long as the bore is good and you can get it for $150 or less I say do it.

14. MoreAltitude

MoreAltitude New Member

Thx all, baits in the water. Texted him and said $115 or $135 if he had the bayonet and other accessories (assuming I liked the bore).

Now we wait...

15. JWagner

JWagner New Member

It looks like Century's stamp job went awry. The 91/33 is somewhat unusual; never seen that before. The serial number they applied does start with 9130, so that looks correct. Try putting a bullet in the muzzle and see how far in it goes; that is an easy was to assess bore wear.

16. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh New Member

I can't believe some monkey at century set up the roll stamp incorrectly.

17. Mercator

Mercator New Member

An obscure import stamp typo that makes absolutely no difference.

18. MoreAltitude

MoreAltitude New Member

It did to this "no experience with Mosin's" guy right here. For the life of me I couldn't find ANYTHING about the Mosin 91/33 during my initial internet search. Man that rollmark sidetracked me for a minute... lol

btw: He didn't text me back today after my offer, maybe tomorrow whatever. If anything I learned something about Mosin's today, and learning is always a good thing. Thx all.

19. RevDerb

RevDerb New Member

Don't miss the 7.62x54.net web site. Great info about the MN's there. Possibly more than you ever realized you wanted to know. You just keep peeling back layers. Enjoy. I was up to 10 at one point.

20. MoreAltitude

MoreAltitude New Member

Great link, thx...