Militia as described in my family history

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Popgun, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Popgun

Popgun New Member

I was reading through a bound edition of my family's history that starts about 1750 and ends in the 1980s. This is on my mother's (Norwegian) side of the family. In the history section around the Civil War the family writer at the time included this paragraph describing the topic of "Militia" in around that time. I hope you enjoy the read. It takes place in Black Hammer, Minn.:

Drilling at Home to be Ready

It was also Ordered by the Government that all able bodied men should organize themselves into a Militia and form a Company in each Township by electing a Captain, Seargent and Other officers and set aside Saturday afternoon for drilling a disabled Officer or Veteran Soldier was sent out over the country to give lessons at first, and those that had guns would have them along and others would make wooden guns that would answer the purpose for practice to learn to handle them, and go through the performance of first Attention, Present Arms, Order Arms, Shoulder Arms, Forward March, and right about face, Charge Bayonette and Charge Catridge and fire, and Meny other Manovers but I merely mention these so you may know that I also took part in these practices and we young chaps certainly injoyed it immencely and Most of the older once had ben Soldiers in Norway and while it was a little different here they soon caught on and was given great credit by the Officers for learning so fast and handling themselves with such splendid Military tacts.

Now these practices only went on in the summer time and was done for the purpose of having the men trained in case of emergency.

Wow, I just realized that first paragraph was all one sentence. I also included the misspellings and the random capitalizations that I guess were not uncommon back then.

Can you imagine OUR own government suggesting that we citizens organize ourselves into our OWN militias?

2. Rick1967

Rick1967 Active Member

I am sure they would support the idea of sticks and wooden guns.:eek:

3. Vincine

Vincine New Member

In NYS, militia are illegal.

4. phildenton

phildenton New Member

thats probably true of at least several states.

5. WonderingMind

WonderingMind New Member

Arizona has a state militia law specifically authorizing a militia separate from the state national guard. Our extremely lax state gun laws are meant to directly support this militia as well as to exemplify what our 2nd Amendment rights should look like.

http://azcapitoltimes.com/news/2011/04/28/az-gov-jan-brewer-signs-bill-authorizing-volunteer-state-militia/

http://arizonastatemilitia.com/about-us/code-of-conduct/

The code of conduct makes me even more proud to be a Citizen of Arizona, it makes me feel that even if the rest of the US comes crashing down into a civil war and Mad Max is running the show that we here will be the standard bearers returning the light of civilization to those who have fallen.

6. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

California has laws against "drilling as a militia" as well.

The only thing we can do here is be ready on an individual basis, with a personal pistol and carbine and lots of ammo.

I'm sure if the Calif AG, Kamala Harris, heard about any militia meetings, she would send in a SWAT raid.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  7. JimRau

JimRau Active Member

Thank you, I enjoyed reading some 'truth' about our history for a change.:)
    If you consider the application of the word 'militia' today it not only refers to just 'able bodied men' but ALL citizens who are NOT 'agents of the government'!!!;)
    ANY LAWS which prohibit militias are as un Constitutional as 99% of the anti-gun laws are!!!:mad:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  8. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

The California Legislature seems to enjoy aligning itself with its sister state -- The Peoples Republic Of China.

9. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 New Member

The present federal government, and many state governments, fear the people. That's why they are hell bend on disarming the populace.