Marlin 60

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by bikerlbf406, Apr 5, 2014.

1. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

I just bought my first rifle yesterday (not new to guns, only new to rifles). It is a Marlin 60 with a Bushnell Sportsview 3x-9x scope. It is used, but in good condition. According to what research I've done on the gun, based on the serial number and an article online, the gun was made in 1988. I -paid $210 for it and that was with 200 rounds of ammo.

Attached Files:

2. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...

Nice score! I have no Exp. with the Marlins. Most seem to be "Hit or Miss." Heard the same about the Remington 597,...
    Enjoy your "new" to you shooter. Hope you have better luck getting ammo then the rest of us have...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

3. ParhfinderAFW

ParhfinderAFW New Member

Nice buy! Those "older" Marlins are good rifles. I've had two of them and liked them both. A word of advice: DONT lose or break the brass inner magazine tube!!! They are insanely expensive!

Sent from my iPod touch using Firearms Talk

4. G30USMC

G30USMC New Member

Congrats on the addition :)

5. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

Thanks guys. I'm not sure if they still do or not but Rural King did have 550 count bulk packages of ammo for .22lr

6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member

Congrats on the New Rifle. Marlin makes some of the finest 22 barrels available. I have had a couple of Marlin 39A Lever Rifles and both have been extremely accurate even at around 75 yards! Send us some target pictures and a range report. Looks like a great rifle and well taken care of!

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

nice looking Marlin 60. a bit high priced IMO though. used, even in decent shape they usually go for about $100-150. even new at Wally World they go for about $150-170. mine is one that was made in 1980 or 1981 and i paid $80 for it a few years ago.

8. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

I don't know where you live but here rifles are selling for about $150 used and thats with no scope or ammo......new they're selling for $180 before tax with no scope or anything. I checked out other Marlin 60's in the area to see what they're going for before I bought it.

9. DrFootball

< wishes there was a Rural King HERE!! Tractor Supply just opened here and we went in yesterday. They don't Stock A lot of Ammo To begin With. There were Shotgun & Some Rifle Ammo, but of course, they were cleaned out of 22 Ammo in the first 3 Days. Not Surprised....

10. Axxe55

East Texas. i have seen them new for $153 plus tax at Wally World. got a sales flyer several months ago with that price. that's the great thing about a 22 rimfire. you don't need an ultra expensive scope for them, since they have next to no recoil. they also have open sights, so a scope is not a must have for the Marlin 60. i simply added one i already had to mine, after buying a $10 set of rings for it. i have just seen too many decent ones in the $100-150 range that to me $210, seems a bit high. just my thoughts.

11. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

The cheapest I've seen around here is $120 and thats with a black stock, with the wood stock the cheapest ive seen is $150, thats used with nothing. Although the scope may not be needed, since it's there, and it is a nicer scope, and since it did have 200 rounds of ammo, I had no problem paying the price. Like anything else though, price can and does tend to vary quite a bit depending upon the area you live.

12. DrFootball

My Mossberg 702 was $157 Incl. Tax. Black Synthetic stock...

13. orangello

orangello New Member

Nice rifle! What is the tube mag's capacity? It changed over the years. I think mine is 18 or 20; I chose it over a shiny new Norinco SKS back in the mid 1980's (d'oh).

They make "tech sights" for it that are easy to install, if you like peep sights; the rear goes where your scope is, though.

14. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

I believe off hand is is the 14 capacity........I know they were 18 then switched to 14. I haven't loaded it yet to find out how many it will hold though and my buddy never did shoot it himself.

15. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

Sounds like I sold mine too cheap last week, $50 w/o a scope. Got the gun in a trade and never did much care for the 60, accurate enough, just prefer a bolt or lever in a .22 and I have plenty enough of them(not ammo, .22 rifles).

16. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

Yeah $50 is quite cheap, atleast in the St. Louis area

17. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Congrats on the marlin!

18. Axxe55

like i said mine was made in about 1980 or 1981 and it holds 18 rounds. if that tube comes to almost the length of the barrel, it's probably an 18 round tube. mine also has the 21" barrel. the newer ones are 19" long. IIRC, the newer ones alos hold either 10 or 12 rounds.

19. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Shoot the rifle and enjoy it. Don't worry about the price of the rifle. Everyone here has paid a tiny bit more than they should have to get the rifle they want today. The way I look at it is I paid next years price this year.

20. mopowerbmx

mopowerbmx New Member

I have been reading up on .22s the past few weeks/months trying to find the best fit for me. I recently purchased the target model 10/22 because it was what I was looking for. The 60 was my next choice. I love tube fed rifles because they are quick and easy to load. Fun to shoot. From all the forums and reviews the 60 was better out of the box than the 10/22 sport and carbine without upgrades.Better accuracy and reliability. I have an old Winchester 290. Same set up. It shoots great and probably has ten thousand rounds through it. You made an awesome choice.