Man kills intruder, accidentally shoots wife

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Ranger-6, May 12, 2012.

1. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

A Detroit homeowner opened fire on two men who broke into his house early Wednesday, fatally shooting one of the intruders and accidentally wounding his own wife, authorities said.

Mark Smith said he was awakened by the sound of breaking glass around 4:30 a.m. and saw someone's legs coming through his bedroom window on the city's northwest side. One man grabbed him while the other put Smith's wife in a headlock, Smith told The Associated Press.

"I heard her yelling 'Mark! Help!'" Smith said. "I raised my .45 and squeezed off three rounds in his face and he was still coming. I emptied the magazine and he fell on top of me."

http://www.azcentral.com/news/artic...r-accidentally-shoots-wife.html#ixzz1ueRqsO54

2. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

im not so sure i would want to be around the wife when the next argument went down. as we all know women never forget... hey buckaroo you remember when you shot me!?

3. kycol

kycol New Member

Sounds like he had FMJ rounds, but still 3 45's to the face and still coming. I'd think he was pretty hoped up on something. I bet 1in the middle of his forehead would have been enough

4. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

Yea, I liked the fact that he emptied the magazine into the perp.

5. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Three 45 rounds to the face and the intruder still kept coming? I think he missed twice and was lucky to have gotten him the third time.

6. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

I just hope this doesn't start another "Po' Travon vs dirty, no-good George" fiasco in the lib news.
    The homeowner now has another ordeal to face: Potential lawsuit by the perp's family.

7. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Amen, only one who wins is the lawyers.

W hate to put bars on the window but what "do" you have to do to get a good nights sleep ?

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  8. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Get you a couple of land sharks

9. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I'd probably just sit back & watch the fun, 'cause that little redhead of mine would probably make him wish he hadn't got so close! :)

Seriously, would be a hard decision for me to make with my wife being that close to the scum bag & the chance of serious injury to her. But, if she were calling on me to help her, guess I'd have to try. Maybe rush him so that I was close enough that I couldn't miss.

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

"why don't we get drunk, and..."

11. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Lol.......

12. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

That's the best explanation, I agree.

Good reason not to shoot at the face. The face is smaller than the chest.

In a case like this where you are outnumbered, and your home is being invaded, and you are being rushed upon, you should definitely shoot to kill.

In this case I would triple-tap the center of the chest. Definitely not the face.

The problem is that you still need to think about what is happening beyond your target, and that could be where your wife is standing. But in a situation like this there is not time to think. So sure, the wife might get shot too by a bullet going through the body of the first perp.

13. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

I doubt there is anything to worry about.

I take it your comment is strictly hyperbole.

It's not like the homeowner was outside trailing the two perps in the neighborhood, and it then turned out they were returning home from a bar themselves, and he then shot them because they looked suspicious.

Totally different story.

14. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

That only tells me his missed 9 out of 10 times.

15. kycol

kycol New Member

It said his wife was in a head lock, so chest shot was out of play

16. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

I dont think you read it right.

The other guy was coming at "him."

The guy on his wife then fled through a window.

17. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

I love Nevada's laws on that.

You cannot be sued by the perp or his family here.

Part of our Castle doctrine.

Viva Las Vegas

18. chazzy

chazzy New Member

You should always shoot center mass regardless of where on the perpetrator you have to shoot. If the the head is the only target you have, then go for the center mass of the head. But be dam sure you make it count cuz that is a small target considering the amount of adrenaline pumping thru your veins

19. gaspump86

gaspump86 New Member

Wow...crazy situation! I practice shooting on my knees to chest center mass.... this way rounds are going in a upward trajectory that would most likely keep the round from hitting a family member. I know in this situation that would not have helped.....js

20. Donn

Donn New Member

Afraid you're right. This one ain't over by a long shot, (no pun intended).