M16A1 Carbine

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by mferr9, Jun 15, 2014.

1. mferr9

mferr9 New Member

Hi all, new member here, and I have question for all you experts. We are the proud owners of an all original Colt M16A1 Carbine. My question for all of you is, if I purchase a Mil-Spec Spikes Tactical upper with the full auto bolt carrier will the weapon fire as well as with the original Colt upper? And also, will this affect the value? Thanks in advance for all your help!

2. Point6liter

Point6liter New Member

Do you not have the matching upper? I guess I am having issues understanding why you would want to change it out...... I would imagine it would decrease the value substantially. It would no longer be considered an "all original colt M16a1.. It would be an m16 lower receiver with a spikes upper. Colts hold their value better than any other brand of the platform. If you get the other upper, I definitely would not part with the matching upper, so if the time came to sell you could offer the original weapon, and the newer upper if they wanted it. Just my .02

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i'm wondering if he's trying to save his upper assembly from wear, and wanting another upper so he can enjoy the rifle?

4. Point6liter

Point6liter New Member

I am wondering the same, if so, that makes total and complete sense. But...... Vague post is vague. Reminds me of the facespace posts I see all day

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

that would be the only reason i could see. if he has an original M16A1, it's worth about $15-20K to the right person if it's all original would be my guess. trying to sell it it with a different and non-original upper would probably seriously decrease it's potential value.

6. mferr9

mferr9 New Member

It's a full gun, all you guys are correct in that we are trying to save the upper. We have well enjoyed the gun as is. Just want to keep the original Colt upper in good shape. We have actually been offered over $20k from a dealer because of the shape it's in. I really appreciate all of your responses. My apologies for how vague the post was.

Do you guys believe the Spikes is capable of handling the full auto fire?

Once again, thanks to all of you for the replys.

7. Point6liter

Point6liter New Member

I don't see why it wouldn't be able to, and long as you have the correct BCG. I may not have a ton of experience with FA weapons (some, but not a lot), but my two recommendations would be making sure whatever upper you get has a heavier profiled barrel, and talking to someone from spikes to see what they recommend for your application. On a side note, I am jealous. Have fun, and most importantly POST PICS!

8. fsted2a

fsted2a New Member

Depends on the barrel. Spikes makes good receivers. Not sure on the barrels. One other thing, make sure the upper has the cut for the auto sear. I have been told it really doesn't matter, but why risk having to replace it when there are a bunch of uppers out there that have the cut.

9. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member

mferr,

Yes, the new upper will work with a full auto carrier. I would recommend getting a chrome lined barrel if you plan on doing some auto fire with the new unit. *But be sure the Headspace is correct on the new upper with the original M-16 A-1's Bolt & Carrier Assembly. I was the National Director of LE and Govt. Sales and Training for a well known AR manufacturer for several years in the past after retiring from LE as Rang Master. And I still teach their as well as other manufacturers LE/Govt. Armorer Schools. In order to limit equipment for demonstrations on the road. I carried 1 ea. Semi-Auto Receiver, 1 ea. Full Auto Receiver, 1 Complete Chrome Lined Upper,
    1 ea. Auto Carrier Group and 1 ea. Semi Auto Carrier Group. And switched out the Lower and Bolt Carrier for Auto Demos, And the Semi Auto Receiver and Carrier Group for the Semi Auto Demos. Actually the Auto Carrier Group would have worked for both demos! The Headspace was correct using both Carrier Groups!That way I did not have to pack around 2 complete rifles. So as long as the headspace is OK for the new upper you are good to go. Very few times will tolerances ever apply or cause issues. Keep us informed and have fun. Glad you are keeping your original 20" Upper. That will not effect the value of the gun as long as it can be returned to it's original condition.:)

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Gents- the original post is 2014.

11. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member

Sorry C-3 Did not pay any attention to the date! Oh well hopefully some others can gain from the delayed posts!:)

12. kfox75

kfox75 New Member

I know I did, even if it was a question I never would have asked. Still nice to know if I ever win the Lottery. ;)