Looking to buy a new gun

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by jftoast, Jan 29, 2010.

1. jftoast

jftoast New Member

I have narrowed it down to three guns I want. I like all three but can't narrow it down to one. I have $900 to spend.

Beretta 92FS- I know it's not as good as the other two but always wanted one.
    Heckler & Koch USP
    SIG P226

Any opinions you guys have on these are welcome.

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Get a used Browning High Power, more gun than any of those, 14 rounds and $400 left over for ammo!

3. General_lee

General_lee New Member

Out of those you mentioned, I would go with the Sig.

If it was me, I would go with Cane's advice and get the Browning if i wanted a 9mm.

Or, you could join us on the dark side and get a good entry level 1911, like a Springfield GI or MilSpec.
    The dark side is a good side to be on, aside from incredible firepower, we also have beer and cookies:)

4. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

None of the above. Browning High Power, S&W M&P, or Springfield XD/XDm,

5. jftoast

jftoast New Member

Beer and Cookies!!! I'm joining the dark side.

But on a serious note I'll have to look into the browing hi-power. Haven't ever shot or held one. Probably gonna have to wait till next gun show to do so. And as far as the M&P and the XD's not really a fan of those types of guns like the Glock. I prefer guns that have hammers.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  6. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

The hammer's your preference, but don't lump the M&P and XD in with the Glocks. I've shot all three, and they all feel and point differently. I got an M&P because I couldn't stand the Glock (And 'cause I got a deal on the Pro Series with the trigger job :D).

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Of the ones you have listed, I have owned variants of all three, and I still own a Sig. If that says anything.

The Beretta was purchased way back when Lethal Weapon was big. Steel slide. Aluminum Frame. Lots of rounds and I had wear on the frame and the tolerances were no where NEAR as tight as when I started. Sold it. Haven't regreted it.

Had the H&K USP tactical. Just recently sold it. Too damn big, too damn heavy, bulky, and controls hard to reach and keep the barrel on target. The thing shot like a dream, even with a so-so trigger on it, but the weapon itself is just not an ideal pistol choice.

I still have a Sig P-228 that I carried for many years. Great pistol. Ate everything I fed it. I think I actually shot the stock barrel part of the way out of it I shot it so much. I got a drop in tight bore aftermarket barrel and continued to have flawless performance. It's a safe queen now, basically because I was educated in the error of my ways and was enlightened into the world of the 1911 and John Browning.

For what it's worth. YMMV.

JD

8. jftoast

jftoast New Member

Just talked to the owner of the gun shop i go to and he does have one 1911 for $560. A Taurus PT 1911. Any know whether they are any good. Or should i just stick with the sig p226 or browning hi-power.

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

What's the year on the pistol? New? Used?

Taurus has some haters, but some people on this forum HAVE the PT-1911 and have reported very good results.

10. jftoast

jftoast New Member

I didn't ask what year it was he had told me it was never used though. So I am assuming it can't be that old.

11. m72law

m72law New Member

if it was me....& i had 900bucks to lay down on a handgun...i myself would buy a few used ones and still have a lil money left for ammo....there is a shop down the road from me that has a great selection of used guns ranging from sigs to glocks and whatnots....heck they have a sig p226 used for 275.00 a few "real S&W's" alloy frames 9mm & 40cal from 250 & up along with police trade in glocks for 325.00 so on and on.....but if 900bucks fell into my hands and i was only looking for one new pistol...i'd have to go with a Intratec TEC-DC9 (TEC-9) but thats just me..:D good luck on your new or used purchase

12. Missileman

Missileman New Member

That's a question that is tough to answer--everyone will have their own opinion, and not one suggestion will be absolutely correct for you. Personally you can't go wrong with any of your choices--I have all three and enjoy each one of them. Probably my personal favorate is the HK USP--I just shoot it the best, and I definately like the safety and the slide release the best of all three. The downside is the mag release--takes a little to get used to if you're a 1911 shooter. I have a USP Compact in both 9mm and .45--love them both. Neither has ever had a single failure to feed or fire, but the same can be said for my SIG and my 92FS. The HK is the most expensive, the 92FS the cheapest. Another option would be a SIG Pro 2022--I have one and it shoots as good as the 226 at a few hundred dollars less. The 92FS is probably the most pleasant to shoot, but also the heaviest. I'd start with one of them, and as you can add the others to your collection.
    Good luck!

13. Wambli

Wambli New Member

If you are looking for a high cap 9mm in that price range check out the H&K P2000. The interchangeable backstrap makes it much easier to fit it to you hand than the USP. The LEM model is an OUSTANDING handgun.