Looking for a good .357

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by westley, Jun 7, 2012.

1. westley

westley New Member

I am considering buying a.357 for my first revolver what would be a good modle

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  2. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

Ruger gp100. Built like a tank. You get a lot of gun for your money.

3. Mason609

Mason609 New Member

I have a Ruger SP101. Have not had any issues with it yet (other than it's a 5 shot).

4. westley

westley New Member

Seems like a great gun ill look into it

5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

6. Gatoragn

Gatoragn New Member

Depending on your intended uses, S&W has lots of choices. S&W 686 is a good medium frame option.

Model 60 for a small frame option.

As mentioned above, Rugers are nice also.

7. levelcross

levelcross New Member

Depending on the intended use as to which gun will work best. SP101/GP100 or the S&W 686 or several others.

I have a SP101 that has many birthdays and still is tight and shiny after several cases of ammo. Handle as many as you can and see what strikes your fancy. Longer barrels tend to have less muzzle flip, shorter barrels are easier to conceal. Grips make a huge difference also.

8. Olympus

Olympus New Member

There's nothing quite like a S&W Model 66.

[​IMG]

What kind of budget are we working with here?

9. westley

westley New Member

I have a good size budget someone I was talking to said Taurus has some good ones any feedback on them

10. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Get a Smith and Wesson,they are the best,last forever..You can get a used Smith for what you can get a new Taurus for,and the S&W will still last longer yet.

11. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

A bunch of people say taurus is crap. I have seen picks of another members brand new Taurus .22 revolver. The gun was twisted as if it was in a vice and torqued. You can not ever go
    Wrong with a s&w no mater what kind of gun They are known for there revolvers. I don't thank you can find a bad comment on a s&w of any kind. And they keep good value.

12. CipsterX

CipsterX New Member

My girlfriend has a s&w model 19-4 with a six inch barrel it's like a Swiss movement.

13. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Hear it is Taurus model 94

Attached Files:

14. westley

westley New Member

Wow that is just wow

15. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Good size is relative in terms of budget. I own Taurus guns and they are fine guns. But generally you buy a Taurus because you have a limited budget and can't afford a Smith.

If you've got a budget of around $1000 (that's what I'd consider a "good" size), then I'd take a look at the Performance Center models from S&W. Here is my 627 8-shot .357. Amazing gun!

[​IMG]

16. BlackWidow

BlackWidow New Member

All the advice has been good. Taurus and others make decent revolvers at a good price, but if you want quality and can pay a bit more for it, then Ruger and Smith are the ones to consider. The Ruger GP-100 and SP-101 are indestructible medium and small frame revolvers that will handle full house magnums all day long.

The S&Ws are a bit lighter weight compared to the Rugers and generally have a nicer finish and a better trigger. Many also like the look of the Smiths. And there are plenty of classic Smiths in like-new condition that compare favorably in price and quality to current models.

17. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Man I love that gun! homer-drool.gif

18. orangello

orangello New Member

I have really enjoyed my Ruger GP100 with the 6" barrel for target fun.

19. canebrake

canebrake New Member

^ Then why look at Taurus?

If you got the cash, get a Korth Combat Magnum:

Attached Files:

20. orangello

orangello New Member

If you have a ton of cash, you could try to find one of those Dan Wesson pistol kits with the frame and interchangable barrels (snubby to "let me whip this out" in two shakes). :D