LLARMS Battle Buggy Rebuild, sponsored by DuraCoat

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by DuraCoater, Mar 29, 2013.

Which earth-tone color?

Poll closed Apr 12, 2013.
  1. 1. Woodland

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2. Coyote Brown

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3. Magpul FDE

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4. Blackhawk Coyote Tan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 5. Tangodown FDE

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 6. Desert Warrior Tan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 7. EOTech FDE

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 8. Desert Mint

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DuraCoater

DuraCoater New Member

Lauer Custom Weaponry, the manufacturers of DuraCoat have come on aboard to sponsor a project to re-finish my street legal 1000cc dune buggy. We had planned to strip it down this summer to rewire a bunch of stuff and add some new components and figured, hey why not ask Lauer if they wanted in on this project since we use their stuff pretty much exclusively.

Out of their entire color line up we narrowed it down to the following choices and would love your feedback on what you would like to see;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  2. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

Looking forward to seeing the results!

3. orangello

orangello New Member

It needs some bear spikes on the front.
    ;)

4. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

How about a harness and stand in the back. A gun mount and HK MR .308 on the roof. Then you do not need the spikes.

5. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I like the EOTech Dark Earth. It's a little more gray and I think that would look good on that vehicle.:)

Man a Duracoat job on that would be really nice. I'd bet it's stronger than a powder-coated finish. I wonder if it would hold wax well. No need in this case I guess bu ton a car/truck in general.

6. dango

dango Active Member

Needs dango proofing , padded that is.........! :D I need two of them , one for the sober and one for the other..! :confused:Too kool..!

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired

Desert Warrior Tan with black wheels.

8. DuraCoater

DuraCoater New Member

My personal vote went to Desert Mint, I like the tan/black combo on the Polaris Military UTVs...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. DuraCoater

DuraCoater New Member

Going to close the polling at the end of the week. The more feedback the better.

10. orangello

orangello New Member

So, DC, approximately how much will you have in the buggy after the coating, including accessories and title and such? If you don't mind sharing with the class.
    I love the idea.

I stopped by a buddy's place Saturday night to find him and a in-law of his muddying up a side-by-side, Polaris I believe. We did end up sinking it a couple of times, but the mud was very loose. I found out later that the thing cost $16000~.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  11. DuraCoater

DuraCoater New Member

The coating is being suppled by Laeur to me (manufacturer of DuraCoat) - so that only cost time and labor on my end. I try and pay myself in Hotdogs per hour! In other words, I'd estimate maybe $100.00 or less in materials (sanding/prepping items) that are not from Laeur directly.

As indicated in previous posts, the buggy shipped runs about $8,000 - set of street tires ran about $550 and then misc modifications here and there, probably another couple of hundred. Still well under $10,000 if I had to take a guess.

Yes, American manufacturers charge ALOT for their UTVs. But I suppose the trade off is a warranty that is worth a crap and readily available service locations. Technically the buggy I got has a 6 month warranty, but I did my research and realized I am better off troubleshooting any issues on my own.

I really wanted an Artic Cat Sport (Wildcat) to convert to a street legal machine), but yea... $17,000 + taxes - whatever.

951cc verses 1000cc that I have.

The other thing was the Wildcat clocks in at a 64" width, which moves it into a classifiable ATV category by GA law. By 1" - so while I am sure it can be modded to put it beyond that, my buggy clocks in at 75" giving me huge width numbers outside of ATV categorization by the state.

Truth me told, if the Wildcats were more like $10,000 I would have seriously considered it (I wanted new, not used). If I made my buggy worth $17,000 it would wipe the floor with a Wildcat utterly even though technically right now it can.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  12. DuraCoater

DuraCoater New Member

Had the poll running at a few different locations and the winner was Desert Warrior Tan.

Sadly, this has to be knocked off the list after speaking to DuraCoat as the tints in that specific color would be subject to accelerated fading even with the UV hardener.

So runner up was Desert Mint, which they verified is good to go.

So Desert Mint it is! (with Tactical Flat Black on accent pieces!)