kimber 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by jason_9784, Oct 21, 2013.

1. jason_9784

jason_9784 New Member

Can anyone help me with some real reviews of kimber 1911 pistols. Im looking to purchase one and id like some feedback from actual owners if possible.

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired

I have a stigma against Kimber.

With so many other 1911s having a limited lifetime warranty, why would Kimber offer only one year limited?
    And with the one year limited, why do Kimbers cost as much (if not more) than the others?

3. MCarter788

MCarter788 New Member

I have an Ultra Covert II and have never had one issue with it. Although I don't put rounds through it that much it has proven to be a quality gun in shooting and handling. Outside of something like a Les Baer custom 1911, Kimbers seem to be one of the top mass produced guns. I hope this helps ya some.

4. rn-cindy

rn-cindy New Member

My Kimber Raptor..Very nice fit and finish. Only 150rnds through it, but so far 100% reliable. Too heavy when loaded to be an EDC gun for me, so its a safe/range queen. Beautiful gun, hits where i aim it. I think the weight helps reduce recoil, so fun range gun....

Attached Files:

5. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Very nice!!!!!!

6. hmh

hmh New Member

Have a cdp custom II that has tens of thousands of rounds threw it. No problems.

Attached Files:

7. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 New Member

1 year warranty, a CS dept that has a reputation for being a-holes, with plastic mainspring housings tossed in as a kicker, no thanks. If they spent half as much on a better warranty & building a CS dept as they do on glossy magazine ads, they would unstoppable, & deservedly so. YMMV.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i like the looks of the Kimbers. very nice looking pistols. but i have the same issue as Dan_Fl does, high price and only a one year warranty. for the most part, most Kimber owners seem pretty satisfied with theirs. but there are some that have problems and i have heard some horror stories of dealing with their CS department.

with all that said, would i own a Kimber? not a new one. but a used one, that was already out of it's warranty period and i was agreeable with the price, maybe.

9. rn-cindy

rn-cindy New Member

Thank You.......:)

10. rn-cindy

rn-cindy New Member

I cant speak for their customer service. But for what you pay for a Kimber, You would think they would come with 2 mags...

11. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 New Member

2 mags isn't always a blessing. From what I've seen of OEM mags, I'd almost rather have a $50 gift card to buy mags of my choice instead of what gets tossed in the box with most 1911s.

12. rn-cindy

rn-cindy New Member

Iv'e heard that Wilson makes a good mag for the Kimbers . Will look into that at some point. But for now, the one that came with the gun does what its supposed to do...it feeds rounds reliably.. The guys at my LGS told me Ruger factory mags are very good....? I have bought a few xtras for my P95, and SR9. What gun manufacturer do you think has the best factory mags...?

13. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 New Member

Wilsons are all I buy for my 1911s (w/one exception, Wilson .40 S&W models were unavailable when I needed some.) I have yet to have any problem with them as long as I remember to clean them now & then.
    Tripp Research also has a top shelf reputation as well. However, I have not tried them yet.
    Chip McCormick reportedly does OK, but I'm told that some models are better than others and I don't really know enough to make any recommendations.
    My DW CCO came with CheckMates, 1 worked really well, the other was excrement. I tried a Kimber branded one that looked suspiciously like a CheckMate, it was less than stunning. My DW PM7-40 (.40S&W) came (used) with Metalforms, they were iffy at best. The 2 OEM mags my Springer came with have worked pretty well.
    I don't know what the deal is with 1911 mags, but there seems to be a lot of hit or miss going on. Wilson seems like a bit of stability among a whole bunch of questionable choices.

Other pistols:
    In my experience, Mec Gar are excellent. They would be the ones I look for first. They are supposedly OEM suppliers for a number of European brands, just eyeballing things, but I suspect CZ and Tanfoglio being a couple. Their .40 S&W 1911 mags do fine too.
    My experience with Ruger is limited to my MK3, they work well though. Beyond that, I can't really comment, beyond saying that they seem to have a good reputation for the most part.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  14. jason_9784

jason_9784 New Member

Thanks guys for all yalls input I really appreciate it ..and ty for your time.

15. Transman

Transman New Member

I'v got four Kimbers in as many calibers,all are great shooters,and have never had a cause for warranty work.1911's are easy to work on and not expensive to fix if needed.I'll probly buy more!

16. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I own 2 Kimbers, one 9mm and one 10mm. Both are fantastic sub-$1000 guns. Anything over $1000 and the competition gets pretty stiff.

17. Kimberdan

Kimberdan New Member

I've got a Kimber Custom II, I run Kim Pro 8 rd mags. Have about 1000 rounds through it and love it. Shoots great and no problems at all

18. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

I have 3 Wilson etm 8 round mags and 3 Wilson 10 round mags. Wilson's are great mags! Also I love my pro carry 2!

19. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

And the ruger mags don't seem to bed too bad. My brother has the full size sr1911.

20. FightinTexasAggie

FightinTexasAggie New Member

I have a Kimber Pro Carry II for my EDC with Wilson mags. Never had an issue with it not going bang. Only issue I've had is a little of the finish starting to wear and very minor rust spots that came off with cleaning. Could be more from my holster (Crossbreed SuperTuck) and the times I have sweat right through it though.