KelTec PMR-30

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by pmanton, Dec 25, 2010.

1. pmanton

pmanton New Member

This months Rifleman has an ad for the KelTec PMR-30. Holds 30 rounds of .22 Mag. It looks interesting. What is the Forum's opinion of KelTec in general and the PMR-30?

Thanks

Paul
    Salome, AZ

2. hossman

hossman New Member

I saw the same ad and hope someone will have some first hand information on this one. 22 mag is one of my favorite calibers. I have a Keltec pf-9. I'm not impressed with the fit and finish on it. It is also a beast to shoot after a while at the range. Makes a good ccw, small and light. I chose not to buy the little Keltec .380, got the LCP instead and am happy with it.

Hossman

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

im waiting till i can see one in real life. im not a fan of keltec but i like 22mag autos a lot. used to have an amt automag in 22wmr regret selling it but i didnt have a choice and needed cash. the pmr30 is an ugly little bugger

4. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

I love the Kel-Tec family of CCW guns, the P-11 PF-9 and the P3AT/P32 are the least expensive gun on the market today that I will entrust my life to. I have however developed a "wait & see" attitude with new guns coming onto the market, doesn't seem like any manufacturer is faultless when it comes to re-calling guns that haven't yet been fully tested...
    On the other hand, the only 22 Mag auto guns I am aware of still in production are: Excell Industries (I hear it's a POS) High Standard
    who has revived the AMT 22 mag ( hear around $650) & the Kel-Tec PMR-30

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  5. JonM

JonM Moderator

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2KZMI-qNvY]YouTube - PMR-30 90 rounds in 25 seconds[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcCCBjlA1V4]YouTube - Kel-Tec PMR-30 Sub Automatic Demo, Tactical-Life.com[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ2IgpM2-Qo]YouTube - Dave's Pawn Shop tests Kel-Tec's new PMR-30 pmr30 22 mag pistol[/ame]

6. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I had my dealer order one for me a few month's ago.He received 2 of them a couple weeks ago,so I went to get one.Upon my visual inspection,I noticed that at the muzzle end of the slide there was a gap of 1/16-1/8" between the slide and the frame.
    It didn't look right to me,but when you pulled the slide to the rear,the gap would disappear.I don't know if they are supposed to look/be this way,but I didn't buy the PMR-30.I never noticed the gap between the slide and frame in any photo's or video's that I have seen,but you could clearly see through the gap on both of these pistols.

He sold both pistols in a couple days,and I'm waiting to see if the new owners have any problems with them.

7. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

You can see a small gap between the slide/frame on many guns, that wouldn't keep me from trying one. I am sure whatever your dealer wanted, the price will come down as more get manufactured

8. WDB

WDB New Member

Seemed like a lot of muzzle jump for a Semi auto 22 mag, might be the shooter or the light weight of the pistol. Still that is a lot of rounds in one mag so that is a pluss for target shooting. I have an AMT AutoMag long slide that I enjoy shooting good to see some manufacturer bringing back this pistol. I have to wonder why the bottom mag release, I don't like it on the AMT see it as a draw back on this pistol, then again with the mag capacity might not be an issue.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

there were some issues with early automags some got out with the same grade of stainless for both slide and frame and had binding issues. amt never really recovered from that. its good to here the design is coming back.

bottom release isnt too bad especially on a range gun. my first ccw gun was an old sig 220 from west germany with the heel clip release. still got some of those mags that find their way into my newhampshire made sig mags. it just took some getting used to but it wasnt bad and i never had problems ccw-wise with inadvertant mag drops.

10. pmanton

pmanton New Member

My wife looked at the ad in Rifleman and said "Wow that looks like fun" so I'm seriously looking at this puppy.

In the pawn shop video I thought I spotted the slide locked back with a round still showing more than once. This was glossed over with the statement "That this is common with new guns" I'd be curious to know exactly what type of malfunction and how often.

I'd also like to know the average selling price of these guys.

If I do buy one I'll report back.

Paul
    Salome. AZ

11. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

I have had one on order for a customer going on three months now. Looking forward to putting my hands on one.

12. hossman

hossman New Member

Cheaper Than Dirt list the expected MSRP to be $415

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

there were at least two failures in the video. and it shouldnt be common with cci ammo.

14. Bigcat_hunter

Bigcat_hunter New Member

I had one in my hands a couple of months ago. I waited six months to get it. It sold in about two days. The fit and finish were nice. The gun is VERY light. I assume it would have some bark to it. The grip is a little wide to fit in the long rounds which feels kind of weird in the hand. I did not fire one but all in all after handling one I want one for my self. I heard they had some magazine issues and thats why we have not been seeing more on the shelfs. They had to completely re-tool for new magazines. Hopefully we will be seeing more soon.

15. pmanton

pmanton New Member

I haven't seen anyone post what these are selling for. Anyone---?

Thanks

Paul
    Salome, AZ

16. Bigcat_hunter

Bigcat_hunter New Member

I sold mine for $415.00.

17. dgray64

dgray64 New Member

I looked at one today a the local pawn shop (new). I was kind of funny looking as the barrel/slide assembly were kind of undersized and long, while the grip was long as well. It felt like a big piece of plastic in my hand. I would bet it will be a great shooter, but it's sure not a concealed carry gun and the .22 Mag round is not cheap so when you practice with it you are really putting out some money. It was a quality piece though like all Kel-Tecs.

Dave

18. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Kel-Tec states explicitly in all of their manuals (that I've seen) that Kel-Tec Pistols will take roughly 250 rounds to become 'broke in.' This is typically a result of a rougher finished produced when compared to other firearms and their manufacturers. Its essentially a way for them to produce cheaper firearms. Most people suggest a Fluff & Buff on all new Kel-Tec pistols. There are several sites with step-by-step instructions on how to do this. The purpose of the Fluff & Buff is to reduce the amount of rounds required to break in your new toy!

As a side note, I own a Kel-Tec P11 that came new in box to me. I did a small fluff & buff and have never had a single issue with the fine piece.

Worst case scenario, Kel-Tec has a lifetime warranty (even if your not the original owner, keep that quiet). Used PF-9's and P-11's go for almost as much used as new due to an incredible demand for their product. Seeing as the PMR-30 is so much more difficult to find, I would assume the same will be true with it as well.

If you do get one, you MUST post a range report!!!

19. mojonasty1

mojonasty1 New Member

just got a kel tec pmr 30

hello everyone, I am new to the forum and was looking around when I saw this post. After a 4 month wait on list I got a pmr 30. I went through all kinds of different sites looking for opinions on the gun before I went in to look at it. Found mostly pos feedback from the few people who had them. I took a chance cause I really wanted this pistol so I bought it. so far I ve put about 400 cci 40 gr and 100 win 40 gr and haven t had but one jam and it was the last round in the mag. I ll be honest even with a full mag it feels like a lightweight toy. but I think it shoots like a dream and fast. I got mine for $399 and he even threw in 100 cci s. ( kind of expected to pay much more due to demand).personally i love it. I keep it in my truck now and plan to use it as a sidearm when hunting next year. Also I am kind of looking for some feedback on a good green dot laser for it since it has small rail on it .I shot mostly at 10 and 15 yds and my groups were pretty close. Anyway if you have any questions not answered that I missed I d be glad to help.

20. onedayer

onedayer New Member

KelTec PMR 30

Purchased one about a month ago and have really enjoyed this firearm. However, a few things you should be aware of. First, I initially had both feeding issues as well as issues loading the 30 round mags. By process of elimination I have found the CCI Maxi Mag is your best bet to diminish or eliminate feeding problems. When using other ammunition I had several feeding problems (one or more per mag fired). Using the CCI Maxi Mag has virtually eliminated this problem. Secondly, be sure to take your time and follow the mag loading instructions issued by Kel Tec (good YouTube vid on this as well). Tapping the mag after every few rounds you insert is helpful. The mag design is tricky and if you are not careful the rounds do not sit correctly inside the mag. Lastly, I suggest you not load the full 30 round capacity .. at least initially until the mags are broken-in. This was an initial issue but after a few times at the range the mags seem to loosen up a bit and i no longer have this problem. Overall I really like this gun. It is very accurate, extremely light (20 ozs fully loaded), and fun to shoot. Hope this helps.

P.S. Given the difficulty in locating the firearm I did pay over list price
    ($525) in order to get one. Apparently Kel Tec underestimated the demand but stated that they should be more available in the near future.

Hope this helps.