Is Your Gun a Weapon or a Talisman?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by IGETEVEN, Jul 8, 2009.

1. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

It is my belief that 95% of people who carry guns are not prepared to survive a violent assault (including police officers). While this may offend a lot of carriers, and maybe some police officers, I feel its important to address.

So I ask, is your gun truly a weapon to you or a talisman that will hopefully ward off those who will bring you harm?

To answer this question properly, I have come up with a series of ten questions with sub-questions. They are not all-encompassing but should give you some ideas to ponder if you are really interested in self-defense and not just busting caps (as fun as that is). There are other issues such as first aid and other issues, but I think this list does a pretty good job questioning the basics of your plan.

1) Do you train realistically with the gun and gear you actually carry with the clothes you actually wear? What does "realistic" mean to you?

2) Will your gear and gun hold up under the stress of a physical encounter? How do you know?

3) Do you regularly train against a live, resisting opponent?

4) Could you physically hold up against an all-out assault from a determined adversary? How do you know?

5) Do you actively train your mind for violent conflict? How?

6) Do you carry less-lethal options when you carry your gun? Have you practiced regularly with them?

7) Do you EVER go anywhere unarmed where you are not legally prohibited from doing so?

8) Have you assessed how long it would take you to get to your weapons from any point in your home? Have you checked it against entry from various points in your home?

9) If you have spouses/significant others or children, have you trained them in how to respond if it all goes down? Would they reproduce this behavior if you asked them to do it RIGHT THIS MINUTE?

10) Do you become task-fixated in public places? Balancing the check book in the parking lot? Talking or texting on the cell phone while walking across the parking lot? Be honest with yourself.

It doesn't matter if you do all of these things or none of these things. What is important is that you understand where you stand and decide what you want to be.

Nothing we write on a keyboard will save us, and I mention again, this posting is not meant to offend, but mainly to get people to start thinking.

Jack

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  2. CA357

CA357 New Member

Good questions

I keep a handgun with me at home. It's also in hand when I open the door. There's a 1911 on the desk as I write this. ;) I exercise and try to keep in shape. I have no qualms about shooting an attacker whatsoever. I will not engage in a wrestling match or fistfight.

I am a proponent of Colonel Jeff Cooper and Massad Ayoob's philosophy.

I am an old veteran and served in the Air Force. I was not in any type of combat unit, I was a Ramp Rat. (which wasn't a feather merchant job)

However, I still have my balls and will not be trifled with.

I do my best not to sound like some internet ninja, because I'm not. I'm an American, a Vet and a man. I will do my best.

3. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Excellent brother, excellent! :)

4. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

I'm a New Yorker....and a vet, but being a NY'er I had more "situational awareness" before I even joined the military....if you've ever spent time in NYC you'll know what I mean...

5. matt g

matt g New Member

If I'm carrying and the pistol clears leather, something/someone is going to die. There is no other reason to carry, ever.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The talisman is the St Barbara's medal on my dog tags.

The one in the holster is the weapon.

Several years back, was taking grandmunchkin and her friend (age 6) out for ice cream. Was putting on my jacket, and little girl noticed my revolver on my belt. She asked granddaughter "Why does your grampa have a gun?" Little girl looked at me, looked at her friend, and said "Silly! 'Cause he's the GROWNUP!"

That seems to about cover it.

7. CA357

CA357 New Member

Great stuff and a smart grandchild. :D

8. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

Another devotee of Santa Barbara!
    No, we haven't held emergency drills, and I haven't grappled over a weapon lately. I fully expect that when I finally get to my firearm in a full-blown assault, I'm going to already be bleeding and badly injured due to a blind-side attack consisting of more than one person. Seriously, crooks know better than to walk up to you with a bullhorn announcing their intentions. Serious muggers are artists.
    My concern is the pissed-off doper that causes a wreck and decides to blame it on me, which, of course, must include my azz-kicking for participating in the demolition of his stolen car. Standing in line at the store when someone decides that he or she can have anything they want because they have a gun. Being attacked by a domestic dog, and it not ending in a quick bite and immediate retreat. I don't live in a high-crime area, but I travel to some. On the road, there are no crime stats printed on the cars, so you never know what will come of the slightest fender-bender.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  9. AR762

AR762 New Member

I'm not sure what I am. I grew up on the West Side of Cleveland, I was always around my own kind.

Then Busing started in 1980. When I started the fifth grade, I was sent to the east side, they didn't like us being there, we where refered to as white dogs, how do I know,you may ask?, because they called us it to our faces.

Whenever we went to the bathroom, we had to go in groups of atleast five, I'm not kidding, or we would get the crap kicked out of us. This went on through the 12th grade. In 1988 the year I graduated, we always had LEO's and School Security but, teacher's were still thrown down steps, and I've heard it has gotten a whole lot worse there. So, why do I bring this up?

I brought this up because, I had to learn to survive at an early age.

(1). You use every glass door, pictures with a glass covering, vending machines with glass front as a mirror, to see who's behind you.

(2). Look for shadows moving ahead and around you.

(3). Listen to what your ears are telling you.

(4). Pay attention to your gut feelings.

(5). Always and I do mean always pay attention to your surroundings. Always walk with your head up. You don't see theats in the side walk it's self, and if your worried about tripping, then learn to pickup your feet when you walk.

(6). Learn your area, even if you have to drive past the first time, to see what you need to know, if you get into trouble.

So, do I think I'm prepared? You never know until your tested. Would I drop the hammer if needed. I'm only tring to stop the threat so, stop moving.

10. chopkick

chopkick New Member

Perfect! +100
    My job dictates that I train and be prepared. From my presence to my verbal skills, from my awareness to my fists, from my flashlight to my firearm, I am as ready as I can possibly be.
    I am constantly running different scenarios through my mind in anticipation of something going haywire. I pray that it never does but I believe I am ready. To many precious lives depend on it.

11. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

good post IGETEVEN,

The more skills one possesses, the more likely they're able to fight back in a life-threatening event. One has to be confident in their ability if they wish to overcome the fear they will experience in a conflict.

12. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

I hope that I would be ready.
    I train others in combat pistolcraft and have done so for nearly 30 years.
    I practice a lot, set-up different scenarios,etc., when out for practice. (realistic training).
    20 years in martial arts, although havn't trained for many years due to physical limitations.(thats why I carry my 1911).
    Have been in shooting situations. (retired Deputy Sheriff).
    I keep 3 loaded handguns in the house in various locations, family members have been trained.
    I am (almost) always aware of my surroundings.
    I know my physical limitations.
    I am always watching other people when away from home.
    Back to practice, my practice sessions are usually about 500 rounds on any particular day.

I hope that anyone who carries has enough training and the where-with-all to come out on top in any given situation. Some of the things they should also know is what to do and what NOT to do after the fact.

Jim............................

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  13. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Ditto, no need to type it again!!

14. WDB

WDB New Member

My family is aware at home that if the alarm goes off the safe room is the master bed room. And over the years I have set the alarm off to see review the response. I have two large gogs that sleep in the house and trust them more than ther alarm system, when they get up in the middle of the night so do I and I'm arm myself. When at home if the door bell rings I am able to see who is at the door via security camera and answer the door armed if I do not know trhe person at the door and my dogs also go straight to the door and bark when the door bell rings. In public I honestly try to be aware of my surounding but don't treat it like a recon mission, I always conseal carry and practice in the cloths and holster I wear. I believe first impressions are everything, I do my best to look attentive, confidant and if I cross paths with someone who looks sketchy I look them straight in the eyes, I expect they are looking for an easy target and I do my best to come off as more work than the effort is worth. I have a heavy bag in my garage that I spend time with a couple times a week, it's a great way to unwind and a good way to keep tuned up on basic skills.

15. Succinct

Succinct New Member

Since I am a newbie, my answers would probably be weak at this point to the above thought-provokers. I only just today applied for my conceal carry permit. So I am way in the back, but at least I am in the race. If I could EVER find my 45ACP ammo ANYWHERE at non-ripoff prices, I would buy some and commence range practice. (On that note I live close to an hour from the nearest range, if I HAD the ammo to practice with!, Plus where is training? I can find none closer than 90 minutes plus from my house, according to the NRA. So I am somewhat on my own, which is frustrating, but slowly I am making contacts. People don't exactly advertize "I carry", or "I am a gun nut!!").

I have no delusions at this point about my lack of capability, but one point I am fairly sure of - if it "came down to it", I think I am better off having my 45 than not having it.

I believe that the more "good guys" there are that are carrying, the less the "bad guys" will try to start anything. I've decided to "join the team", even though I realize the stakes are high. There isn't (or shouldn't be) any such thing as a "casual" carrier.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  16. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

1) Do you train realistically with the gun and gear you actually carry with the clothes you actually wear? What does "realistic" mean to you?

No

2) Will your gear and gun hold up under the stress of a physical encounter? How do you know?

Yes - They won't get that close

3) Do you regularly train against a live, resisting opponent?

No

4) Could you physically hold up against an all-out assault from a determined adversary? How do you know?

No

5) Do you actively train your mind for violent conflict? How?

No

6) Do you carry less-lethal options when you carry your gun? Have you practiced regularly with them?

No

7) Do you EVER go anywhere unarmed where you are not legally prohibited from doing so?

Yes

8) Have you assessed how long it would take you to get to your weapons from any point in your home? Have you checked it against entry from various points in your home?

Yes

9) If you have spouses/significant others or children, have you trained them in how to respond if it all goes down? Would they reproduce this behavior if you asked them to do it RIGHT THIS MINUTE?

Yes

10) Do you become task-fixated in public places? Balancing the check book in the parking lot? Talking or texting on the cell phone while walking across the parking lot? Be honest with yourself.

NO

It doesn't matter if you do all of these things or none of these things. What is important is that you understand where you stand and decide what you want to be.

I do

Nothing we write on a keyboard will save us, and I mention again, this posting is not meant to offend, but mainly to get people to start thinking.

17. WDB

WDB New Member

First good luck on you ccp. Next take that long drive to get the training and pay the price for the ammo. It is truly cheap insurance for you and yours, a firearm is only as good as the hand that holds it. It might be a bitch of a drive and cost you more than it should but if that time comes it is money well spent.

18. easterner123

easterner123 New Member

well, i unfortunately cannot concealed carry. I do prepare myself.
    Situational awareness is easy to practice. Simply drop into a bar (diner for me) and case the place, look at the people, then effective and solid backstops if you have to shoot. look for reflective surfaces, exits, entrances, bathrooms, and kitchen entryways. I have trained extensively in hand to hand, wrestling, ju-jitsu, and krav maga.

I am no stranger to violence, I train hard for wrestling and football by lifting weights and working on cardio.

I need to improve my bladed weapon combat skills.

If I got into a fight, I would be able to hold off one attacker long enough to get away, two and I might be left on the sidewalk.

I have access to an 870 loaded with slugs and buckshot. If someone came into my home, I would not hesitate to shoot them.

No one has ever broken into my home thankfully, and I hope no one ever does. My practical experience is a few fights that were easily handled. but they weren't with hardened criminals or drug addicts.

Please, to all members that carry, make sure you are good at what you do to protect people like myself who can't legally do so. Would I? O yes, everywhere except if i went to a school... then it would be in the car ready to go.

I am not an unstoppable killing machine, I am a citizen, and a minor at that. I have to keep trying to prepare while I can and encourage all others, young, old, or middle aged to keep training, even if you're a vet its good to brush up and learn at least one new thing

19. m72law

m72law New Member

i'm good with my tools...but i aint no carpenter:D

20. Succinct

Succinct New Member

Thanks! And I completely agree re making the trek and paying for the ammo. My problem with it is that being truly prepared means that on-going training is required, not just one or two jaunts to the next county over, firing a couple hundred rounds. This is something that should happen continually, not just once or twice, because this is teaching your body and mind to react and work in harmony - that is something that always requires lots of practice over time to achieve.

If I had a place nearby + available ammo, I'd be shooting 50 to 100 rounds per week and once every 6 months or so participating in an all-day or two-day combat training exercise. Neither is happening right now....