Is this a good deal? talk me out of this.

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by getem2011, Aug 24, 2012.

1. getem2011

getem2011 New Member

2. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Probably not a bad deal if that's something you're looking for. Grips are terrible for a Colt, but thats easily fixed. I don't know what the value of the ammo is though. Don't keep up with prices now that I reload.

3. vincent

vincent New Member

Something seems too good to be true here...

3 mags, 2 grip sets, $120(ish) worth of ammo...

250 rounds through it...hasn't even been properly run in yet...

I wouldn't consider it unless I could put my hands on it first...

However...it IS a buyers' market so maybe the seller is just motivated, times are tough...

IIRC, Colt's warranty is transferrable (?) so if there were any problems, you may be covered...

Caveat Emptor...:cool:

4. gollygee

gollygee New Member

About 150 for the ammo & extra mag, but unless you like those grips figure a minimum of a minus $50 for replacements, bringing cost of pistol to $700. I got mine new for $850 OTD so $650 to $700 not bad, but not a steal. Like vincent says, best to be able to check it out FTF & he might even come down a bit when you're standing there with cash money in your hand. Maybe he still has the original grips & will throw them in. They'd be better than the ones on it, IMO.

If you're careful & it's not too deep, that idiot scratch can be polished out & no one would ever know it was there. Rest of it comes down to if you really lik the pistol & I can vouch for the XSE being nice although mine is the Commander size.

5. Sentry18

Sentry18 New Member

It's a horrible deal. If you buy that gun I swear I will punch a baby, rip all the tags off your mattresses and publicly release your internet history.

Otherwise it looks pretty good sans those ugly grips. Like others have said, inspect it first and be thorough.

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired

Print out the sticky on buying a used 1911.

Get a list of all "upgrades" done and double check.
    Do all safety checks.
    Don't let the slide slam forward on an empty chamber.
    Look for the "idiot" mark.

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc New Member

Doesn't look like a "proper" fitted beavertail safety. It looks like a drop-in.

Is that ammo Blazer brass or the aluminum cased stuff?

Yep, those grips are hideous.

Yep, it's got an idiot scratch.

I've seen better deals, and I've seen worse.

8. gunwolf007

gunwolf007 New Member

It don't look bad just over priced

9. getem2011

getem2011 New Member

Thanks to all. I'm not getting it, decided I really want my next to be commander sized.

10. getem2011

getem2011 New Member

I agree with you on grip safety.

11. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc New Member

Hard to tell from the pic, but it also looks like the extended thumb safety may be an add on as well. I'd like to see it with the safety engaged and see if the safety hole in the frame ends up being partly exposed. It would indicate a poor bit of craftsmanship in the fitting.

Probably best you passed up on it. I would also like to add a commander to my line-up. Just can't decide if I want a lightweight or stay with the steel frame.